• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Pack is Back — General Hartford Wolf Pack Discussion

Phil

Neither of the two have really progressed. McIlrath a bit, but not enough to make him NHL worthy.

Kristo is so far off. He doesn't have a complete game and his offense doesn't make up for his lack of an overall game. He'll never make the NHL.

Thats disappointing, atleast McIlrath is still young ill keep faint hope he can be a tough 7th one day

i will still hold out hope, 23 isnt too old for a defensive prospect. pretty sure Girardi didnt make it to the show until he was 24, but i could be wrong. ive gotta look that up.

edit: he was 22 my mistake

Most recently Sauer made it at 23. Sauer and McIlrath were at different stages of their development. Sauer was kept up because he couldn't be sent down without waivers, but he was also a good defenseman. McIlrath will have that situation next season, but he's not ready.

I'd say his age were irrelevant if he were actually developing parts of his game. He's not. He's still working on simpler parts of his defensive game.

Most recently Sauer made it at 23. Sauer and McIlrath were at different stages of their development. Sauer was kept up because he couldn't be sent down without waivers, but he was also a good defenseman. McIlrath will have that situation next season, but he's not ready.

I'd say his age were irrelevant if he were actually developing parts of his game. He's not. He's still working on simpler parts of his defensive game.

Thanks for a deeper look, whats holding him back? i only saw him in his few NHL games and all i could see that was glaring was that his foot speed was keeping him behind the play. Seemed like he had a sense of defensive positioning just wasn't ready for the speed of the NHL. So i thought if he worked on his skating the rest of his game was going to fall into place.

Missing big is fine. He wasn't the only miss in that round, there were worse.

Well there was Tarasenko. Let's not put lipstick on a pig here. This was a major fuck up. I don't care who else fucked up. That's not my concern.

If McIlrath were in a different organization he would be an NHLer by now. He has skills that play, just not for AV. You have to remember that Torts was the coach at the time he was drafted. He spent a season dressing Stu Bickel on D. McIlrath can't play our system, but he can play somewhere. He will be an NHLer.

If this were true, they'd at least have been able to trade him - given the dearth of RD in the NHL.

If McIlrath were in a different organization he would be an NHLer by now. He has skills that play, just not for AV. You have to remember that Torts was the coach at the time he was drafted. He spent a season dressing Stu Bickel on D. McIlrath can't play our system, but he can play somewhere. He will be an NHLer.

I'm not sure you can say that.

His skating of 1st 1/2 of this year was still WELL below NHL standards.

We are in DESPERATE need of a solid, 6th pair stay at home defenseman on the right side and he still can't get a sniff.

Stu Bickel isn't a bad comparison though so far.

Any player taken in front of him doesn't really matter. It's the guys taken after him. Fowler, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Bjugstad, Sheahan, Hayes (kind of makes up for it), Kuznetsov, Nelson all well ahead on the NHL development curve.

Right now though we have to focus on McIlrath and what he brings to the organization. At this point, it's a shaky 7th defenseman that has to learn to compensate for quick forwards. Thats where he was when we drafted him, too.

I just don't get what they were going for with that pick. Were they looking to get a Pronger-type guy who can be mean, but also score?

I hate to kick the dead horse, but it will forever boggle my mind.

Yes, that's exactly what they had him projected as. It didn't pan out. He went Chris Gratton instead of Eric Lindros. It happens.

The Rangers have to be the worst team at drafting in the first round. They always seem to do better in later rounds. Makes losing the last 4(i think 4?) first rounders a little easier to swallow.

They're definitely not the worst 1st round drafting team.

Currently on the roster:

JT Miller (2011)

Chris Kreider (2009)

Marc Staal (2005)

Currently playing in the NHL

Manny Malhotra (1998)

Lauri Korpikoski (2004)

Michael Del Zotto (2008)

Current Prospects:

Dylan McIlrath (2010)

Brady Skjei (2012)

We had a few busts (Sanguinetti, Jessiman), injuries (Blackburn) and a tragedy (Cherapanov). We never got a superstar, but there are maybe 15-20 of those in the entire league. At the end of the day, its a crapshoot and we've done better than most people give us credit for.