• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

I'd like FIFA to step up, and say as of 2018, there will be no more offsides.

What would be the downside? Teams would adapt. More scoring? More running = more fit, younger players play? Less controversy over allowed/disallowed goals?

Sign me up.

Looks like NYCFC will play in the Bronx

http://nypost.com/2013/12/10/bronx-scores-400m-soccer-stadium/

After looking at sites in Queens and Brooklyn, a Major League Soccer franchise on Tuesday stood close to a deal to build a 28,000-seat stadium in The Bronx just south of Yankee Stadium, The Post has learned.

The $400 million stadium will be located on what now is an empty lot between the Major Deegan and East 153rd Street

What would be the downside? Teams would adapt. More scoring? More running = more fit, younger players play? Less controversy over allowed/disallowed goals?

Sign me up.

More standing around and long passes, temptation especially for bad teams would be high to park a forward in front of the opponents goal and try to get the ball to him with a long clear.

More standing around and long passes, temptation especially for bad teams would be high to park a forward in front of the opponents goal and try to get the ball to him with a long clear.

I'm OK with changes in tactics, and a return to a sweeper system instead of a flat back 4.

Sign me up.

I'd be up for a change in the rule to something like "cannot be in the box" instead of the last defender arbitrary line.

Fortuna had lost three straight and gave away a 2-0 lead late, with the equalizer coming in the 92nd minute... but they scored the last second game winner themselves in the 95th minute. Wraps up a week of great news for the club quite nicely.

• 3 weeks later...

Huge scandal in The Netherlands. Soccer team Vitesse Arnhem are bought by a Russian group of investors related to Chelsea's ownership, they have been really good since through investment, and wanted to play some exhibition games in the United Arab Emirates. Now, Vitesse have Dan Mori, an Israelian player in the squad, and the team had to leave him in The Netherlands... because the UAE doesn't recognize Israel as a state and thus Mori has no "legal passport".

First everyone was furious with Vitesse, they have since stated they were unaware until the ticket was refused last minute and after long discussions they are filing an official complaint with the FIFA. Obviously FIFA will do jack shit about this, because they are political wimps and butt kissers for these rich sheikhs, but imagine Israel makes it to the World Cup and neighbouring state Qatar pulls a similar track? Or their flight is diverted? Or it's sponsored by Emirates?

What a mess, but good on Vitesse for filing a complaint and not bowing to the money flow behind the event.

Qatar is one of the countries that allows entry for Israelis, though. UAE does not. Although they do accept passports from visitors with Israeli stamped passports, which some countries don't. At Israeli customs you can ask them to either not stamp your passport or theyll stamp a separate unattached piece of paper that theyll stick in the passport, for those that wish to travel to the countries that dont allow the stamp. I chose not to because I cant envision myself going to any of those countries in the next 4 years (when my passport expires)

In Dan Mori's case, I'm kinda surprised he doesnt hold dual-citizenship

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...