• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

As an Arsenal fan I'm more worried about our team than our opponents in either of the matchups with Olympiacos or Dinamo Zagreb. We have a great draw to get through to the elimination rounds with only Bayern a true class above us. We have to get healthy at the back end and up front if we want to get there, though, and Wegner said he's not anticipating many if any signings leading up to the deadline.

Man City is in a tough group but they've been playing incredibly well.

Very few groups I'd consider particularly dangerous. Two top teams and two lesser teams quite clearly in almost all. With Kevin De Bruyne leaving Wolfsburg, United have it very easy. Arsenal should be alright in theirs too. City have it toughest, with Gladbach as a dangerous outsider for years now and Juve getting better.

Not a bad draw for anyone really. Groups C and H are by far the least interesting.

Yeah, I'm fine with Arsenal's CL draw. Looks a lot like a second place group finish and a loss in the first knockout round matchup. Really would have to start playing much better football to finish ahead of Bayern and have a better chance of advancing deeper.

Wasn't impressed with Arsenal's play today, very happy for the win if not feeling fortunate. They had very little in terms of movement and creating legitimate chances though they had a decent number of shots. I thought Sanchez, Cazorla and Coquelin had good games while Walcott and Ox both disappointed. Ramsey was so-so. I guess we should feel fortunate for how the ref was giving out cards, because that level of play wouldn't hold up against a better team.

I'm not going nuts about him not buying anything else. We could use another Striker but I don't think it'd be responsible to pay 50 mil for Cavani, or to seriously overpay for Lacazette. Neither player is a guarantee to be great.

We get great players for great value, even Ozil at 42mil was a steal. Sanchez at 30 was a steal and even Carzola was only 15mil

We aren't as big of a club as Chelsea, we can't risk spending 40-50 mil on a player that carries risk. Don't throw money around or spend irresponsibly, then when we have the opportunity to get a good player for a the right price, we are able to.

United also kept De Gea thanks to a fuck up by... someone :rofl:

Best thing that could have happened to United, as long as he plays. They lose money by not selling him, but if he helps them secure a top 4 spot, the CL money that still remains eclipses the 30m or so they would have gotten from Madrid. They cant survive forever with Romero and I'm not a huge fan of who they were going to get from Madrid.

Iceland qualified for the EURO next year today, amazing. Wales and Northern Ireland are also close to qualifying and while the field surely got inflated, they are all first in their respective groups.

Meanwhile Netherlands lost again today, aren't even on on a playoff spot now.

Yeah, though to be fair so far it seems like it will help more "big" teams, than small. The dutch would already be out under the old system.

Well, yes and no in my opinion. I think a few teams aren't taking the qualifiers as serious as they should in terms of this while some smaller teams are amped up a lot more than before knowing they have legit chances now of qualifying. There are always going to be a few big clubs that struggle for whatever reason even if they allowed 32 teams in.