• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

• 1 month later...

CL qualification round:

NK Maribor - Celtic FC

RB Salzburg - Malm?

FF Aalborg BK - APOEL Nikosia

Steaua Bukarest - Ludogorez Rasgrad

Slovan Bratislava - BATE Baryssau

Besiktas Istanbul - Arsenal FC

Standard Liege - Zenit St. Petersburg

FC Copenhagen - Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Lille OSC - FC Porto

SSC Neapel - Athletic Bilbao

Fun fact:

Celtic FC advanced to this stage, even though they lost their qualifyers 1-4 and 0-2 against Legia Warzawa.

Unfortunately for the polish team, they fielded a suspended player for 4 minutes, which means UEFA forfeits the game with a score of 3-0 in favor of Celtic. So it's 1-4 and 3-0 and Celtic advances on that lonely goal they actualy scored (it's the away goal rule)

http://sport.stv.tv/football/champions-league/285519-uefa-investigate-legia-warsaw-over-possible-inelgible-player/

There is some argument for Legia to be bitter about this decision, as UEFA handled things differently in a similar situation in 2010. Back then the guilty club was fined, but the score of the game remained unchanged.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2010-09-01-3501825507_x.htm

UEFA double standards at work again it seems.

I'm always happy for small teams to make the Champions League, but some big names drew each other here and that feels unfair. Lille and Porto should be in, as for Napoli and Bilbao probably. Now it's more Eastern teams who will end up getting crushed and play in boring, quiet stadiums on dangerously frozen fields. Meh.

when NYCFC joins the MLS next season should I change allegiance from the red bulls? I'm torn

If you aren't to attached to RBNY, why not? I've never really fallen in love with them. It's just so blatantly corporate right now.

Do they have plans to move into a real soccer stadium in a few years? I can't see this Yankee Stadium thing working out well over the long haul.

The Mets objected to their Flushing stadium plans and they have since announced they are investigating a new stadium site in the Bronx, near Yankee Stadium. It'll be at least until 2018 at the Yankee Stadium though.

If you aren't to attached to RBNY, why not? I've never really fallen in love with them. It's just so blatantly corporate right now.

The Mets objected to their Flushing stadium plans and they have since announced they are investigating a new stadium site in the Bronx, near Yankee Stadium. It'll be at least until 2018 at the Yankee Stadium though.

Yea I knew about the Mets part. Fuck them, they ruin everything! lol

If the plans were for the Flushing "iron triangle" area, they were not going to go into there for a long time anyway. A lot still needs to happen before the bulldozers begin taking apart all the chop shops there.

• 3 weeks later...
Fun fact:

Celtic FC advanced to this stage, even though they lost their qualifyers 1-4 and 0-2 against Legia Warzawa.

Unfortunately for the polish team, they fielded a suspended player for 4 minutes, which means UEFA forfeits the game with a score of 3-0 in favor of Celtic. So it's 1-4 and 3-0 and Celtic advances on that lonely goal they actualy scored (it's the away goal rule)

http://sport.stv.tv/football/champions-league/285519-uefa-investigate-legia-warsaw-over-possible-inelgible-player/

There is some argument for Legia to be bitter about this decision, as UEFA handled things differently in a similar situation in 2010. Back then the guilty club was fined, but the score of the game remained unchanged.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2010-09-01-3501825507_x.htm

UEFA double standards at work again it seems.

Well, Celtic couldn't even make use of their second life and got eliminated again. So they were eliminated twice in the same competition. :D

Ref lost his mind in Arsenal-Besiktas. I didn't like the red but put that more on Wenger for keeping Debuchy in late when carrying the yellow... but the yellow card for the improper substitution (?) and the ref just starting throwing yellows for every foul for the rest of the game. Looked like the ref lost his temper. Another 15 minutes and it may have been 9 v 9.

Ref lost his mind in Arsenal-Besiktas. I didn't like the red but put that more on Wenger for keeping Debuchy in late when carrying the yellow... but the yellow card for the improper substitution (?) and the ref just starting throwing yellows for every foul for the rest of the game. Looked like the ref lost his temper. Another 15 minutes and it may have been 9 v 9.

Arsenal got away with two fouls on Ba that could've been penalties. He was overall a terrible referee, but it's not like Arsenal was only one hurt.

Bulgarian club Ludogorets Rasgard advanced to the group stage of the Champions League yesterday, winning on PKs against Steaua Bucharest.

This is worth mentioning, cause Ludogorets Goalie was send of during the game and they had to put a Defender in Goal.

He saved two Penalties and scored himself on the first shot.

http://livetv.sx/de/showvideo/203384_ludogorets_steaua/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UEFA will decide in a week on how to dissove the Serbo-Albanian mess.

It's till unknown, who exactly was flying that drone into the stadium.

Meanwhile flares, stones and other stuff was already thrown at Albanian players before the drone incident and Serbian fans allegedly shouted "Kill all Albanians" and stuff like that.

Nationalisms ugly head once again.