• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

November 15th and 19th, if I read the schedule correctly. Portugal hosts first.

It'll suck not to see one of them, but fuck Ronaldo and fuck Portugal. They've taken out The Netherlands too often and they dive like penguins. Heja Sverige!

One of my childhood soccer heroes, Fernando Ricksen, wrote a biography about his mad life of soccer, drugs, booze, hookers, and fucking famous women. He started for my local team Fortuna Sittard, then played for AZ Alkmaar, Glasgow Rangers, Zenit St. Petersburg and after winning the UEFA Cup with Zenit he quit soccer to detox from drinking. He eventually came back on an amateur contract to save Fortuna from relegation to the amateur leagues and succeeded.

He was on a Dutch talkshow to promote his book, but instead of that, he announced he has ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and will likely die within just a few years.

Fuck. :(

Arsenal win off of who else but Aaron Ramsey's goal. Top of the league. Top of the table.

Epic, in Germany against the run of play. Could have made it 2-0 soon after, professional defending to finish off match. Unfamiliar territory for the current club, not for Wenger.

• 1 month later...

In one simple deal, my beloved Fortuna Sittard has wiped away 13 million euros in debt and they are finally out of financial danger for the foreseaable future. Their top sponsor is an investment company in sports campuses and they own the one next door to the stadium. Now they've bought the stadium through Fortuna and shares, wiping away the debt with the current external owner in one single deal and telling the club they will pay for minor renovations, a new pitch (maybe natural to artificial grass) and at no rental cost ever for the club. This opens up 1/8th of the annual budget to pay off the last bits of debts with other and maybe bolster the squad with one or two players as well.

I am over the moon with this deal. It's just such great news.

So who gets the money from tickets and everything else? The club or the comapny?

The club. Club didn't own stadium now either, but paid a rental fee per event and collected the revenue. Now there's simply a new owner of the stadium and they don't charge rent, because they can use Fortuna and vice versa to grow their foothold in the region. They are also looking to bring together Fortuna with other teams in the county, including a hockey team and a handball team, so they can share sponsors and promote themselves to investors as an "omni sports group." Kind of how advertising with MSG is for multiple sports, they want to do that for Fortuna's stadium and the next-door facilities.

I feel like it's a really strong plan and this sponsor is far more reasonable and pro-club as the guy who had it for the last decade or so. Usually I'm pretty worried and weary about these kinds of moves, but this one makes sense and the people I know within the club are very confident.

So City dropped Joe Hart and then decided to bring him back to face Bayern of all teams? And of course it went over about as well as you'd think it would (2 goals in opening 12 minutes). I guess its because theyre already through to the KO stage, but putting him back out there against probably the best team on the continent isnt the greatest way to build confidence