• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

EPL restarted today. Thank god! Man yoo got off on the rightfoot thankfully. I think the team looked fairly good. Needs to be better but the few key additions will take some time to adjust to a new league and style. Schweinsteiger didnt look so great but his fitness is an issue.

Glory glory man uniteddddd! :)

I'm going to make a conscious effort this year to follow Man United. I dabbled last year, but I want to be a better fan.

It's relatively easy these days with every game being on. I also use http://www.sportinglife.com for some good rumors and updates. I've been a supporter of Man Yoo nearly 30 years. Just ordered the new kit the other day. Should be here in days!

Anyone follow NYCFC? I have followed them since they announced their expansion into the MLS. They had a huge home victory that I attended vs DC United this thursday. Heres the highlights. http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/08/14/new-york-city-fc-vs-dc-united-highlights?autoplay=true. \

If you are American and dont follow MLS, why dont you?

http://i.imgur.com/hTG9z9A.jpg

I find the MLS very boring. No tactical involvement at all. Refereeing is spotty, the talent is bare, no fluidity at all to the game, and playing defense in the MLS seems optional. It's a retirement home players of talent that just can't cut it anymore in Europe but still want to play and feel special. As a Man United fan for 30 years, I despise anything City related and that includes NYC FC. Pirlo was a horrid signing. Lampard, meh. Not as bad but still fairly bad. Villa is okay. At least he still has something left in the tank. Playing at Yankee Stadium is a bit of a joke though. The pitch is terrible and the dimensions are pretty laughable. Extremely narrow and makes the game more like pinball than the beautiful game.

I'm not really sure what being an American has to do with following the MLS though. It's not like the best players in the league are American lol. It's like the pro version of a rec league where washed up players and just not good enough players converge to keep the dream alive.

I was just asking cause I'm curious to see that a lot of people follow European soccer and the only way for it to grow here is through more support. I heard that the premier league on NBC get better ratings than Mls on ESPN. And Yankee stadium will do for now. I was at the inaugural home opener and only the grandstands weren't packed. If you go to a game its pretty intense. They do need to find a new home bc they pack more fans on average than the Jersey red cows every game. They're 4th in attendance in the mls http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/3d0b77d1bec587c8bc17ec907b05d7b5.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Well, i'm not a Red Bulls fan, so they suck too lol. I'm not really that interested in the growth of the MLS here. As I said, it's not a good league at all. I'd assume the BPL gets a lot better ratings than the MLS and it should. It's a much purer league for lack of a better word.

The only way the MLS will really grow is if they stop getting rejects and old folks from elsewhere. I look at that picture as an exact reason of what's wrong with the sport here in the states. A fan is making domestic comparisons and laughing because his or her team signed two players that have accomplished 31 trophies on another continent.

Imagine how silly it would look if a Rangers fan posted up how many trophies Lundqvist has in his Swedish league career to mock another team in the NHL?

I mean it was just a reply to the picture you posted. And they are, Toronto has giovinco who is in his prime and Bradley Wright Phillips is also in his prime. The league is trying to transition. I just don't see how you can follow a league that isn't domestic. That's just my opinion. Even though so many soccer fans do.

I mean it was just a reply to the picture you posted. And they are, Toronto has giovinco who is in his prime and Bradley Wright Phillips is also in his prime. The league is trying to transition. I just don't see how you can follow a league that isn't domestic. That's just my opinion. Even though so many soccer fans do.

Because i've been a fan of Manchester United for 30+ years. As for new fans, i'm sure they would follow a league that they find entertaining. It doesn't take long to figure out which leagues represent the beautiful game better. Phillips is a bad example of being in his prime. He had previously fallen way out of favor domestically. The last time he played in the top league in England was 10 years ago and towards the end he was playing two divisions lower than the EPL i believe before coming to the MLS. Giovinco is in the MLS now because he fell way out of form. He scored 12 goals in all competitions in 3 years in Italy when he was within his mid 20s, years that are supposed to be extremely successful. He was marginal and Juve let him go very easily.

It's why foreign hockey fans watch the NHL: you want to watch the very best. The MLS is certainly not that for soccer. It's getting better, absolutely, and I'll tune in if it's on and I really don't have much else to do or watch, but right now, that's about it. I don't think I've ever seen a full MLS game and I'm someone who gets up early on Saturday and Sunday to watch Premier League on NBC every single weekend.

Now, I grew up in Europe, so that's maybe a little different, but not watching MLS to me is similar to not watching much women's soccer either, it doesn't provide me with what I really like about the sport, including the atmosphere. Most games I tune into come from really bland stadiums. There are so many cookie cutter venues and so many teams with zero players to really be excited about. They are trying and I think the league has taken some big steps, but despite being a huge soccer fan, it really hasn't been able to draw me in... and that says a lot, because I wish MLS and soccer in the US the very best and I actively root for its growth.

I watched most of the LA Galaxy NYCFC game this weekend and, while I think LA actually has a very talented team, the defending by NYC, and pretty much every other example of MLS I've ever seen, is atrocious. Teams are spending money on high profile attacking type players to draw fan interest but nobody wants to buy the smart defensive purchase.

Champions League groups drawn. Happy with United's group. Arsenal and City a bit more screwed.

GROUP A

ParisParis(FRA)

Real MadridReal Madrid(ESP)

Shakhtar DonetskShakhtar Donetsk(UKR)

Malm?Malm?(SWE)

GROUP B

PSVPSV(NED)

Man. UnitedMan. United(ENG)

CSKA MoskvaCSKA Moskva(RUS)

WolfsburgWolfsburg(GER)

GROUP C

BenficaBenfica(POR)