• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Game of Thrones (TV Show Discussion Only) *DO NOT POST SPOILERS*

Phil

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much as I love the story telling going on here, I find it a little shocking that the series' ratings and viewership is up based on how much talking is going on in most episodes.

My dad and brother both watch but never read the books for example, and both still watch but are somewhat "bored" in all the conversations going on in most episodes.

Much as I love the story telling going on here, I find it a little shocking that the series' ratings and viewership is up based on how much talking is going on in most episodes.

My dad and brother both watch but never read the books for example, and both still watch but are somewhat "bored" in all the conversations going on in most episodes.

See Rhommy's post above.

Seriously though, I can get where someone would feel that way. But at the same time, the viewership of this show is so broad, that even with the slower, conversation driven episodes, certain people are content with the show. Same with The Walking Dead.

Lets see, so far this season you've had :

An assassination attempt on Dany

By far the wittiest dialogue on television, no thanks to Olenna and Tywin.

The Jaime/Brienne buddy comedy

Theon getting tortured mercilessly

Lannister surgery

Tons of sex

The worst funeral archer in history

Dracarys

Surprise marriages

Not so surprising marriages

A fucking castration.

I wonder why their ratings are up. Sex, Drama and violence.

Hey, I'm happy as anyone they are, but the violence pales in comparison to the violence from the first two seasons — especially season 2.

Seriously refuting that point with Theon alone. It's not as excessive violence, but it's a psychological violence.

that theon scene was just pure medevil. hard to watch. reminded me of some of the oz scenes.

was hoping Jaime threw that guy into the bear pit.

cant believe there's only 3 left, though I saw a bus ad tonite driving home that said boardwalk is back end of sept ... wooot.

Seriously refuting that point with Theon alone. It's not as excessive violence, but it's a psychological violence.

That's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about battle scenes. The excessive violence in Season 2 where you have major battles, etc. I think the most blood spilled in a single scene thus far this season is the Astapor/Dany one, no?

I mean theyre following the book...up to this point in ASoS what violence has occurred that we havent seen? The bear scene was more violent in the book, for one, especially concerning Locke/Vargo

You guys aren't getting what I'm talking about. I know the books. I've read them. I realize that the battle violence subsides in this book/season. I'm saying that that is something people tuned into the show for, and this season in direct comparison to last season (battle of Blackwater Bay, etc) pales in comparison, so I find it a little shocking that ratings are up despite the on-screen violence and battle scenes being down.

I think it's save to say that we will get some violence in the three remaining episodes.

Couldn't really enjoy this episode as much as the others between sexposition and my father complaining. lol

That Bear scene was somewhat different in my head.

Overall topic seemingly was Love and promises made about it.

That's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about battle scenes. The excessive violence in Season 2 where you have major battles, etc. I think the most blood spilled in a single scene thus far this season is the Astapor/Dany one, no?

You guys aren't getting what I'm talking about. I know the books. I've read them. I realize that the battle violence subsides in this book/season. I'm saying that that is something people tuned into the show for, and this season in direct comparison to last season (battle of Blackwater Bay, etc) pales in comparison, so I find it a little shocking that ratings are up despite the on-screen violence and battle scenes being down.

I totally see what you're saying, I think it's simply that word on how great this show actually is getting spread to the point that people who normally would never tune in to this kind of show is tuning in to see what the hell this is all about. Much like The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones has gone from being a niche show that nerds like myself who had read the books were excited about to a serious epic drama that people hear about everywhere and are taking serious note of, because of how good they are both are getting faithful viewers who normally would never watch zombie or fantasy stuff like this.

I am still stunned about E7, but I am not surprised the ratings are up. The show has been very strong lately and a lot of people I know who hate violence in shows watch for the amazing dialogue. My fiancee doesn't enjoy the violent, hard scenes at all, but she's an avid follower of the show now and it's mainly because of the strong conversations and exceptional character development.

And what I'm starting to hate/love is how torn I'm getting about the treatment of characters. I hate Theon, but oh boy is that tough to watch, I hated Melisandre and she's been amazing lately, I used to like Arya and now I think she's too stubborn, I used to like Robb and now I think he's been extremely clumsy and naive and I have no idea what to make of Jon Snow anymore.

Archived