• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Pack is Back — General Hartford Wolf Pack Discussion

Phil

They're definitely not the worst 1st round drafting team.

Currently on the roster:

JT Miller (2011)

Chris Kreider (2009)

Marc Staal (2005)

Currently playing in the NHL

Manny Malhotra (1998)

Lauri Korpikoski (2004)

Michael Del Zotto (2008)

Current Prospects:

Dylan McIlrath (2010)

We had a few busts (Sanguinetti, Jessiman) and a tragedy (Cherapanov). We never got a superstar, but there are maybe 15-20 of those in the entire league. At the end of the day, its a crapshoot and we've done better than most people give us credit for.

The problem is when they miss, they miss huge. They could have had Giroux, Tarasenko, and about 17 other guys all better than Jessiman.

The problem is when they miss, they miss huge. They could have had Giroux, Tarasenko, and about 17 other guys all better than Jessiman.

The Islanders and the San Jose Sharks feel very similar to us regarding 2003. Dallas and LA are probably just as disappointed in 2010. Just trying to show some perspective.

They are so good at other important acquisition avenues it doesn't matter how their 1st rounders have panned out. They've hit so many home runs between late rounds, NCAA signings and acquiring young controlable talent through a trade like the Mcdonaugh/Prust trades that it more than makes up for any perceived (and untrue) shortcomings in the first round.

This is at least partially proven by the fact that they're really good every god damn year. I mean, how much better can you be really?

• Like 1

They are so good at other important acquisition avenues it doesn't matter how their 1st rounders have panned out. They've hit so many home runs between late rounds, NCAA signings and acquiring young controlable talent through a trade like the Mcdonaugh/Prust trades that it more than makes up for any perceived (and untrue) shortcomings in the first round.

This is at least partially proven by the fact that they're really good every god damn year. I mean, how much better can you be really?

I agree.

For me, I think the struggle is knowing what became of some of the picks. It's somewhat hindsight, but also the mind-boggling nature of some of the gambles they took (McIlrath and, to a lesser extent, Jessiman) that ended up turning into jackshit while players around them shined. I think overall they do fine, but when they dud, it's a big dud.

Also, Cherapanov dying was a hit. He was projecting quite well.

Cherepanov was projected as a top-5 offensive talent, and was the #1 ranked European in the draft. He only fell as far as he did because of the lack of a Russian/NHL transfer agreement and the fear it put into the draft regarding selecting Russian players.

He was the only Russian player selected before the 60th pick.

That's not the point. It's like acknowledging that your stud scorer will never play good defense. It's just a fact. Not that you care. But it's still true.

McIlrath is going to be an interesting situation going into next season. He loses his waiver eligibility, so if he's not traded before next years' training camp and fails to make the team again, the team will need to place him on waivers in order to re-assign him to Hartford. He could clear, but considering the premium put on defense this year, I can't imagine a scenario where at least one team doesn't take a flier on him considering what it'd cost them (nothing).

• 2 weeks later...
Lindberg has been on a tear lately... 15 points in his last 12 games. He should get a legit shot to be with the team next season

I wonder if pegging him as a 4th liner is a bit...shortsighted? His ceiling is much higher than that I think.

I wonder if pegging him as a 4th liner is a bit...shortsighted? His ceiling is much higher than that I think.

His ceiling has typically been projected as a 3rd liner, Fast actually had a tad higher ceiling.

I think what most think is that since Hayes has locked down that 3C position, Lindberg would be a nice addition on 4th line.

Essentially what PH said. We have Brassard signed for four more seasons. Stepan is working on an extension and Hayes has another year left before we have to negotiate an extension (that'll be interesting to say the least). The only actual spot available is on the 4th line if he beats out D. Moore or moves to wing, with the latter the more likely scenario. We actually have center depth, so taking a higher spot is very unlikely unless one of our guys regresses.

Pack playoffs start tomorrow with a series against Providence (Boston's farm team). The series is a best of five, details below:

Eastern Conference Quarterfinals – Series “C” (best-of-5)

3-Hartford Wolf Pack vs. 6-Providence Bruins

Game 1 – Wed., Apr. 22 – Providence at Hartford, 7:00

Game 2 – Sat., Apr. 25 – Providence at Hartford, 7:00

Game 3 – Sun., Apr. 26 – Hartford at Providence, 7:05

*Game 4 – Tue., Apr. 28 – Hartford at Providence, 7:05

*Game 5 – Fri., May 1 – Providence at Hartford, 7:00

Notable prospects: Oscar Lindberg, Mackenzie Skapski, Brady Skjei, Dylan McIlrath, Conor Allen, Ryan Bourque, Ryan Haggerty, Carl Klingberg (injured)

Notable opponents: David Pastrnak, Malcolm Subban, Alexander Khokhlachev, Ryan Spooner

Baby Rangers win Game 1 of the series in OT. Chris Bourque with the OT winner, Lindberg with the primary assist. Yann Danis stops 36 of 37. I believe I saw somewhere that Skapski is injured.

He must be in Danis has been playing.