• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo Facing Buyout This Summer if Not Taken by Seattle

Phil

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than one team was interested in signing Tony DeAngelo as a free agent prior to Monday’s trade deadline had he been placed on, and cleared, irrevocable waivers, The Post has learned.

But, we’re told, there was just not enough time to enable DeAngelo to find the right fit and deal that would have brought No. 77 back into the NHL 10 weeks after his exile in the wake of the Jan. 30 post-game bruhaha with Alex Georgiev.

TSN’s Darren Dreger, who was first to report of the termination scenario, identified the Canadiens as a team that was interested in striking a deal with DeAngelo.

That did not occur, even as one source told The Post that Montreal would have made DeAngelo financially whole by covering the remaining portion of this year’s pay plus the buyout sum. It is, however, unknown whether Habs general manager Marc Bergevin’s interest in the righty was predicated upon his willingness to sign a multi-year deal.

If clubs were amenable to taking a shot at DeAngelo at this point, he should have choices when he becomes a free agent following the buyout.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/13/rangers-tony-deangelo-drew-interest-from-multiple-nhl-teams/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

I don’t honestly think one thing that happens right now at the trade deadline affects ADAs future in the NHL in any way. It was a no win situation right now for any professional player to go 3 months without playing with his peers while everyone else is at NHL speed. Once it got this long it was always going to be in his best interest to wait until the offseason, get bought out, and see what his options are. He wasn’t going to agree to go into a situation where he has a large chance to fail right now while not being up to speed. Much better to go into a camp fresh while everyone else is also coming into camp.

I don’t honestly think one thing that happens right now at the trade deadline affects ADAs future in the NHL in any way. It was a no win situation right now for any professional player to go 3 months without playing with his peers while everyone else is at NHL speed. Once it got this long it was always going to be in his best interest to wait until the offseason, get bought out, and see what his options are. He wasn’t going to agree to go into a situation where he has a large chance to fail right now while not being up to speed. Much better to go into a camp fresh while everyone else is also coming into camp.

But didn't he think about succeeding? He'd have a month to get into shape. Montreal is in the bubble by 8 points at the moment. He's got time. What better way to tell Gorton/Quinn to go fuck themselves than lead les Habitants through a couple playoff series while the Rangers (likely) watch from the sidelines. If he was going to be made financially whole, not sure I get this.

But didn't he think about succeeding? He'd have a month to get into shape. Montreal is in the bubble by 8 points at the moment. He's got time. What better way to tell Gorton/Quinn to go fuck themselves than lead les Habitants through a couple playoff series while the Rangers (likely) watch from the sidelines. If he was going to be made financially whole, not sure I get this.

Bingo.

The Post article was not quite clear about what exactly "being made whole" means. If they were only going to pay him this year's salary and the ~1.7 million from the buyout; he is going to get that no matter what. Even if he never plays another game in the NHL.

I agree with Kerik's point about having to play catch-up after sitting for the last 10 weeks(even if he has been working out). Looking at this from his point of view, he probably sees the option to collect this season's contract, the buyout earnings, and then be able to bank another million plus in a situation of his choosing maybe even on a multi year deal. The article indicates that he was probably looking for a multi-year deal from Montreal that sounds like they may have been unwilling to give him. That is likely where this opportunity fell apart.

Well, im not sure at this point his biggest concern is telling Gorton anything except let me know when you buy me out. I'm not exactly sure it's exactly about the money. If he goes into Montreal while everyone else has been playing NHL games all season and looks a step or two behind, that's going to be it for him in the NHL. If he goes into the offseason when everyone else is reset, he has a higher chance of succeeding. At least that's my take on it. He wouldn't even have a month to get in shape. He'd go through the week or two of covid protocol where he isn't allowed anywhere, then join the team, take the 2-3 weeks to get up to speed, etc. I don't see that in his best interests at all.

If anything, i'd say him refusing this shows it's not 100% about the money and moreso about where he believes his best chance at resurrecting his own career.

ADA confirmed idiot.

His priority should be getting back on the ice NOW, and proving last year wasn't a fluke.

It's a calculated gamble. He probably feels he has some better options on an open off-season market and gets the buyout money as insurance.

If his career is on the line, and it probably is, taking the first offer to "make him whole" doesn't make much sense if he doesn't feel that team is suited to get him back to where he was. Montr?al has Weber and Petry on the right side and Suzuki on the top PP unit. It would be a little difficult for him to jump right back into being his old self with that much in the way.

Compare that to the Flyers, who are reportedly ready to make significant changes this summer (per Friedge), and who already waived Ghost Bear, and he's probably making the right call.

If I were him, I'd rather play opposite Giroux on the Flyers' top unit than hoping to sniff the second unit in Montreal.

It's a calculated gamble. He probably feels he has some better options on an open off-season market and gets the buyout money as insurance.

If his career is on the line, and it probably is, taking the first offer to "make him whole" doesn't make much sense if he doesn't feel that team is suited to get him back to where he was. Montr?al has Weber and Petry on the right side and Suzuki on the top PP unit. It would be a little difficult for him to jump right back into being his old self with that much in the way.

Compare that to the Flyers, who are reportedly ready to make significant changes this summer (per Friedge), and who already waived Ghost Bear, and he's probably making the right call.

If I were him, I'd rather play opposite Giroux on the Flyers' top unit than hoping to sniff the second unit in Montreal.

That seems fair. I imagine he would end up in Philly if he could.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah that’s how I’m seeing it. It’s his basic last chance so I’m not surprised he isn’t jumping at something this short sighted where he plays catch up and hopes it works. Makes more sense to see how this offseason plays out

I don't agree at all that he's making the right move not getting on the ice right now.

Don't think he's taking PP time from Provorov in Philly, either.

Plus MTL is only 1 team we heard had interest. I don't see Bergevin bringing him in NOT to play him on PP.

Tony D made the right choice. Plain and simple. It would cost him nearly $2 million dollars in buyout money towards next season, in exchange for what, maybe 10 games this year? No sense.

There's only one reason to pretend he should have done otherwise, and it has nothing to do with hockey.

He'll be on a minimum contract for someone next season, while collecting his money from the Rangers.

I just don't understand why these interested teams waited until the deadline to come calling. They could have had him the day after they cut him.

If any of this is true, I think Keirik and Phil are being the most logical. I think he wants to go home and play for Philly. That'd be a bigger F- you to Gorton. To see him succeed against the Rangers, especially as a rival, is going to suck.

Yeah, I don't know why he would terminate his contract. He might never get a contract like that again, might as well get his money. He's likely to get a 1-yr, minimum salary contract next season and then who knows after that. Take your money when you can.

Yeah that’s how I’m seeing it. It’s his basic last chance so I’m not surprised he isn’t jumping at something this short sighted where he plays catch up and hopes it works. Makes more sense to see how this offseason plays out

Right. Treat it like free agency. Find the "right fit."

I don't agree at all that he's making the right move not getting on the ice right now.

Don't think he's taking PP time from Provorov in Philly, either.

Plus MTL is only 1 team we heard had interest. I don't see Bergevin bringing him in NOT to play him on PP.

I do, because Provorov plays on their second unit and on the left side. First unit is Giroux-Ghost. Second is Prov-Hayes. It's an easy swap. DeAngelo for Ghost.

Tony D made the right choice. Plain and simple. It would cost him nearly $2 million dollars in buyout money towards next season, in exchange for what, maybe 10 games this year? No sense.

There's only one reason to pretend he should have done otherwise, and it has nothing to do with hockey.

He'll be on a minimum contract for someone next season, while collecting his money from the Rangers.

He's getting more than minimum, IMO. Probably $2 – 2.5 million?

I just don't understand why these interested teams waited until the deadline to come calling. They could have had him the day after they cut him.

If any of this is true, I think Keirik and Phil are being the most logical. I think he wants to go home and play for Philly. That'd be a bigger F- you to Gorton. To see him succeed against the Rangers, especially as a rival, is going to suck.

I don't really think Gorton is going to care. The Flyers and Rangers are going in opposite directions and they Rangers have a stockpile of dmen deep enough to ice two teams.

Right. Treat it like free agency. Find the "right fit."

I do, because Provorov plays on their second unit and on the left side. First unit is Giroux-Ghost. Second is Prov-Hayes. It's an easy swap. DeAngelo for Ghost.

He's getting more than minimum, IMO. Probably $2 – 2.5 million?

More power to him if he gets more than minimum. Shattenkirk got 1.75M from Tampa off the buyout. I suppose given DeAngelo's age you could be right. The only thing is I'm guessing the Rangers would have been willing to retain, say, 1.5M of his salary next year. Ultimately it's more against the cap next season but less overall, and no dead cap hit carrying to the season after. That would put another team's cap hit for him at what, 3 million? But they would have gotten him the rest of this year too.