• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 NHL Trade Deadline: Presented by 'Mad Money with Jim Cramer'

Phil

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I interest anyone around in a slightly used Brendan Smith? Skates like he has one leg but actually has two, will drop the gloves and ice the puck. Lower-tier prospect OBO

can he mow the lawn? wash dishes? take care of the wife's needs when i'm not around?

Can I interest anyone around in a slightly used Brendan Smith? Skates like he has one leg but actually has two, will drop the gloves and ice the puck. Lower-tier prospect OBO

Sometimes Brendan Smith shows you that, while he is overpaid, he can be a decent, hardworking player who, despite the contract, can help the team

last night was not one of those days

Brendan Smith is actually not a terrible 6th or 7th defenseman. His contract makes you wanna scream, but he might be a sought after commodity for a few teams that need some defense depth for the playoffs. His contract might deter that a bit because it maybe too rich to fit under the cap.

I think he could be useful as a Ranger next season if we could resign him to a cap hit that more "his level" right now....whatever that may be.

Brendan Smith is actually not a terrible 6th or 7th defenseman. His contract makes you wanna scream, but he might be a sought after commodity for a few teams that need some defense depth for the playoffs. His contract might deter that a bit because it maybe too rich to fit under the cap.

I think he could be useful as a Ranger next season if we could resign him to a cap hit that more "his level" right now....whatever that may be.

Retain some salary... he should be absolutely moved

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Smith is very tradeable. His contract is expiring and most has been paid so the cap hit isn’t too big of a factor for any team that wants depth. If he isn’t traded they are bringing him back I think.

He's one of the few Rangers right now that's "tough to play against". The guy can drop 'em and that says a lot for a team of cream puffs. I know today's game is not like the past, but there's still a spot for players that "protect"...as long as they can play hockey. Smith can fit that description, and is a fairly serviceable player as well.

Makes me think Bob Probert was way ahead of his time! ;)

With Runanen and Bitetto around, Smith is expendable.

Bitetto is a plug. Fun, but barely a 7th. Reunanen plays LD. Smith plays either side. I'm fine if they can flip him for something, but I'd 100% offer him a return ticket. He's a good player. He's just not $4 million+ good. He's an ideal 6/7.

Bitetto is a plug. Fun, but barely a 7th. Reunanen plays LD. Smith plays either side. I'm fine if they can flip him for something, but I'd 100% offer him a return ticket. He's a good player. He's just not $4 million+ good. He's an ideal 6/7.

Get this man a beer!!! ....wait, I got it!!! :cheers:

I think his cap hit is an issue. At 50% retention, he's at $2.175. For contenders who are usually cap stressed to begin with, that's a problem. After all, he would probably be a 7th D-man insurance policy on those teams. There are other D men of his quality available for significantly less. I don't think there will be much interest in him, he's not in tsn.ca's top 50 trade baits, and if he is not traded, I would not read into it that he will be re-signed.

I think his cap hit is an issue. At 50% retention, he's at $2.175. For contenders who are usually cap stressed to begin with, that's a problem. After all, he would probably be a 7th D-man insurance policy on those teams. There are other D men of his quality available for significantly less. I don't think there will be much interest in him, he's not in tsn.ca's top 50 trade baits, and if he is not traded, I would not read into it that he will be re-signed.

Yes, but an acquiring team is not paying his full cap hit because he has played ~75% of his season and that part of his cap hit is charged to the Rangers.

That $2.175 @ 50% retention is really like $543K.

Smith is definitely our best ‘rental’ to move out. The only other pending UFA we have is PDG

That said, if we decide to sell, I think our best move is actually accepting some salary along with some assets so another team can make some moves. Kinda like what Chicago did with Florida in the Connolly trade

I think the amount is a bit more worrying considering what they gave him last year but yea term needs to be right as well.

Realistically what is he worth ... between 1-2mil?

Well, if not a flat cap id say 3m he gets but with the cap the way it is, you just dont know what teams are going to have to offer an experienced D on the wrong side of 30. If the Rangers dont intend to walk away from him, the best idea might be to just see where the offers come from once free agency hits. If someone wows him and overpays and we lose him, so be it. There will be other replacements waiting for contracts as well.