• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Fire DQ, Hire Brucey B, ????, Profit!!!

Serious question, why are we still trying to make this about ADA? ADA progressed for 76 games and then "regressed" for 4?

Also, when Trouba has the laundry list of other shit besides the penalty, then we can start comparing ADA to Trouba.

Again, ADA is an extreme case which is why he's being handled in an extreme manner.

We aren’t. It’s about Quinn. When we discuss Quinn though, we also have to discuss the current or former players. Trouba has a lot more bad with his game than just penalties anyway.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk what Trouba was in Winny. I didn't get to see him enough. He sucks here though. Maybe a new coach helps hide his deficiencies a bit or brings his offense up enough that his contract isn't as bad, bu he suckssss.

He was not bad in Winnipeg at all. I’m not saying Norris but he’s a shell of what he was there really.

ADA regressed...

Fox came in as is, he succeeds despite the coach. Dude is another level. And that's how he was billed when they signed him.

Chytil? Okay maybe... but that is one guy lol.

double standard, we blame him for Kakko and Lafreniere for not developing ,but how about Miller ,he done well under DQ

double standard, we blame him for Kakko and Lafreniere for not developing ,but how about Miller ,he done well under DQ

This isn?t a ?who?s DQ developed vs. not? discussion. Laff and Key do not even have 20 games under dq, he doesn?t get any credit for either of them. This is about what kind of hockey we are playing as a team systematically, and how that benefits or hinders the development of our talent long term.

This isn’t a “who’s DQ developed vs. not” discussion. Laff and Key do not even have 20 games under dq, he doesn’t get any credit for either of them. This is about what kind of hockey we are playing as a team systematically, and how that benefits or hinders the development of our talent long term.
I hear you John ,but I wasn't arguing about it , just answered what you replied ,I hope all these young players progress with or without DQ

No, he had a career year scoring. As a defenseman, he didn't grow at all. Show me where he was better in his own zone at any point.
Semantics I know but it's not like he got worse defensively. He always sucked and still did. He definitely progressed offensively though which i have absolutely no idea if Quinn should get credit for or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

i'm ready to move on from Quinn, but he's not without victories. Zibanejad and DeAngelo put up career years for him. Buchnevich has unlocked. He's resurrected Ryan Strome's career. Panarin was an MVP candidate under him.

I think that's absolutely fair, but therein lies the problem in the sense that most of the positives you can attribute to Quinn is based on a bunch of guys (Zib, Panarin, Strome, Kreider etc) having career years. He obviously gets his share of credit for that, but it's also something that is unsustainable in its nature. Particularly with guys of that age. It feels very much like the house is built on quicksand. In order to win the team is completely reliant on a couple of individuals going off. They don't have an identity, a structure and a system to rely on when things aren't clicking or Igor isn't standing on his head. So, for me, he's certainly been able to coax out great individual performances of certain players but he's never made the Rangers into a good team. And I'm not seeing anything to suggest that's about to change.

• Like 1

The only reason I'm ready to move on is because we don't see any discernable system or even style, and the line juggling feels desperate not because he does it, but the frequency with which he does it. It's an Uber problem of him just not having a plan.

I have no issue with the way he's handled individual players or ice time.

Question is, will he learn? It's only his 3rd season as a pro coach.

The only reason I'm ready to move on is because we don't see any discernable system or even style, and the line juggling feels desperate not because he does it, but the frequency with which he does it. It's an Uber problem of him just not having a plan.

He will have to learn quickly. Like you say, we've seen no discernible system or style in his first 2.5 years. If there's no sign of that by the end of this season, I'm not sure how you can continue with him when the cap opens and this team should be entering their window to compete. Maybe I'm being harsh, but I have seen literally nothing to suggest he's capable of setting a team up to win in the playoffs. IMO, the time to learn on the job was whilst the team was in the early stages of the rebuild. The next phase is to become a playoff team and use those experiences towards real contention. You just can't have an intern whose idea of strategy is to throw shit on the wall and see what sticks in charge at that point.

• Like 1

He will have to learn quickly. Like you say, we've seen no discernible system or style in his first 2.5 years. If there's no sign of that by the end of this season, I'm not sure how you can continue with him when the cap opens and this team should be entering their window to compete. Maybe I'm being harsh, but I have seen literally nothing to suggest he's capable of setting a team up to win in the playoffs. IMO, the time to learn on the job was whilst the team was in the early stages of the rebuild. The next phase is to become a playoff team and use those experiences towards real contention. You just can't have an intern whose idea of strategy is to throw shit on the wall and see what sticks in charge at that point.
Yes, the next step is a playoff team, but is that this year or next?

Hard to say they should be playoff caliber in a COVID season when you have rookies and 2nd year players in your top 6 forwards and top 4 D... And the third pair... Whoa.

Yes, the next step is a playoff team, but is that this year or next?

Hard to say they should be playoff caliber in a COVID season when you have rookies and 2nd year players in your top 6 forwards and top 4 D... And the third pair... Whoa.

I'd say it's next year. I'm not really too worried about results this season. My worry is based on the lack of progress as a team, and the continued lack of a plan, system and identity.

I'd say it's next year. I'm not really too worried about results this season. My worry is based on the lack of progress as a team, and the continued lack of a plan, system and identity.
Agreed on this.

I'm willing to give him this season with this team to figure it out.

COVID aside, no camp and 10 games is still no camp and 10 games.

i'm ready to move on from Quinn, but he's not without victories. Zibanejad and DeAngelo put up career years for him. Buchnevich has unlocked. He's resurrected Ryan Strome's career. Panarin was an MVP candidate under him.

I think we're going to be sorry we cut this guy loose down the road, Phil. He's supposedly good with younger players and yet Zibby, Strome, Bread-man, and Strome have prospered under him. Buch finally has seen the light, and Chytil looks like he's on his way. I dunno man, my gut just says roll with this guy....

The only reason I'm ready to move on is because we don't see any discernible system or even style, and the line juggling feels desperate not because he does it, but the frequency with which he does it. It's an Uber problem of him just not having a plan.

This is the point that sticks out with me. Yes, he looks like he has no plan by juggling lines, and lack of "style".

Agreed on this.

I'm willing to give him this season with this team to figure it out.

COVID aside, no camp and 10 games is still no camp and 10 games.

I know I'm in the minority with this one you guys, but I simply believe Quinn has more focus on defending as a team, than scoring right now. Since the first game, I've noticed some guys like Kakko, Di Giuseppe, Buch, and Miller especially, have been much improved in their own zone.

I really don't think they're too worried about making the playoffs this season. I think they're learning the "NHL game"; defensive responsibility first, and how to defend together. I'm willing to see where we're at by season's end. If it's still a flaming shit-show, I jump on the bandwagon....I just think this is going to be a half season of "Learn how to defend", to the second half "Now go fill the net!!". Lord knows we have plenty of talent to do it.

I just hate to give up on a guy too soon. I dunno fellas, it's just what I feel is going on out there.

Agree completely with this. It's not his specific handling of players, it's that I don't really see his impact anywhere. He's had successes, he's had failures, but the team is a dice roll most nights. If KZB or Bread & Butter aren't lighting it up, what's their identity?

Agree completely with this. It's not his specific handling of players, it's that I don't really see his impact anywhere. He's had successes, he's had failures, but the team is a dice roll most nights. If KZB or Bread & Butter aren't lighting it up, what's their identity?

Nah, I gotcha. ...and it's frustrating to go through this learning process. I try to maintain the fact that they're mostly kids, and that they have to go through the tough times first.

You know what's entertaining about this whole thing, Phil?

I remember when the Isles first came into existence, and as a Rangers fan, I used to go to watch some of their games, and they were fuckin' horrible! After they unloaded Goyette, they brought in this coach, Al Arbour, who everyone thought was a nerdy geek (they called him "Radar"), who had his head up his ass. Bill Torrey believed in that guy, and by 1975 they had a playoff team...and take a guess who they eliminated in the preliminary round: Yup...I was there in '75 when they beat the Rangers 4-3 in OT. I think it was JP Parise (Zach's dad!) who scored too!

My point is, I just haven't seen enough to cast this guy off as a failure yet. The Rangers have shown some good signs, enough for me to think there's a lot more in the tank to come.

Plus, now he doesn't have to babysit for ...I don't even wanna say his name, because he's in every post...but you know who! :rofl:

Nah, I gotcha. ...and it's frustrating to go through this learning process. I try to maintain the fact that they're mostly kids, and that they have to go through the tough times first.

I remember when the Isles first came into existence, and as a Rangers fan, I used to go to watch some of their games, and they were fuckin' horrible! After they unloaded Goyette, they brought in this coach, Al Arbour, who everyone thought was a nerdy geek (they called him "Radar"), who had his head up his ass. Bill Torrey believed in that guy, and by 1975 they had a playoff team...and take a guess who they eliminated in the preliminary round: Yup...I was there in '75 when they beat the Rangers 4-3 in OT. I think it was JP Parise (Zach's dad!) who scored too!

My point is, I just haven't seen enough to cast this guy off as a failure yet. The Rangers have shown some good signs, enough for me to think there's a lot more in the tank to come.

Plus, now he doesn't have to babysit for ...I don't even wanna say his name, because he's in every post...but you know who! :rofl:

Keep this thread clean Oz

These are all fair points about him. Especially regarding the impact he’s made in that it’s not at all apparent that he’s really made any.

But as far as moving on from him at this point, I don’t see it as warranted or necessary because of several reasons.

Roster has holes and is incomplete.

Very young roster on the whole

He himself is a young coach still early on in his first NHL job and is still learning and figuring it out for himself too.

They aren’t ready to contend higher than “bubble team” level in my opinion right now anyway.

And the COVID shortening 2 seasons... little bit of a wild card to me.

Also, I think his bosses know and feel all of that and kind of want him to grow along with the players and the roster. I think they REALLY want that and have so from the outset, and are focused more on that abs results surrounding that than anything.

Unless it goes disastrously bad, I see him making it through this season.

But you are right.

Impact is not evident.

Identity and style and system aren’t clear.

Results are middling and inconsistent.

I was encouraged by their play in the month or two prior to season being postponed last March.

But they seem to have regressed.

He needs to start getting better results at least in terms of them having more structure and an effective and discernible system.

I'm sticking it out in the Merry Old Land of Oz, at least for now. I think this team is still a huge work in progress. Quinn may never have done a public chalk talk on his system, but he is clearly trying to get them to do some specific things, some of which we saw were successful in the Caps game. They need to play N-S and keep it simple. The forwards have to be defensively responsible, which is something that Buch is showing the fruits of learning, Kakko is showing signs of learning (after really starting from scratch), and that LaF is quietly doing relatively well so far from the get-go, After the first period on Monday on NBCSN, Babcock of all people extolled the progress that the Rangers have been making with defensive structure. Their neutral zone defense has improved markedly over the past few games, though not without breakdowns. (Everybody knew this season was going to be a series of two steps forward, one step back.)

Quinn definitely shows his greenness at times, particularly when he seems to panic and start juggling. But I think the jury is as yet way out and that he still has as much chance to succeed as fail. If he was as over-his-head and clueless as described on this board, JD would either have shit-canned him or at least gotten him some more help as would be a manager's duty. He does report to JD and Gorton after all, and if he were really working without any system or plan, they would have to intervene. As I said before, DQ seems to me pretty securely on the mgt team for now, so I'm not sure I get all the gyration here 11 games in. So, my call is steady as she goes.

I essentially agree with Phil on player handling, but one additional success story you can chalk up to Quinn that is rarely mentioned is Ryan Lindgren. Now, I think Lindgren made the NHL by sheer force of will and probably wasn't going to be denied by anyone or anything. But when he got here, Quinn didn't mess with him, he didn't second guess him, he just served up the minutes to him (much as he is doing with Miller now) because Lindgren delivered the goods. Maybe because he was a D-man, Quinn may have better judgement with them than he does with forwards (Howden).

• Like 1

These are all fair points about him. Especially regarding the impact he’s made in that it’s not at all apparent that he’s really made any.

But as far as moving on from him at this point, I don’t see it as warranted or necessary because of several reasons.

Roster has holes and is incomplete.

Very young roster on the whole

He himself is a young coach still early on in his first NHL job and is still learning and figuring it out for himself too.

They aren’t ready to contend higher than “bubble team” level in my opinion right now anyway.

And the COVID shortening 2 seasons... little bit of a wild card to me.

Also, I think his bosses know and feel all of that and kind of want him to grow along with the players and the roster. I think they REALLY want that and have so from the outset, and are focused more on that abs results surrounding that than anything.

Unless it goes disastrously bad, I see him making it through this season.

But you are right.

Impact is not evident.

Identity and style and system aren’t clear.

Results are middling and inconsistent.

I was encouraged by their play in the month or two prior to season being postponed last March.

But they seem to have regressed.

He needs to start getting better results at least in terms of them having more structure and an effective and discernible system.

For sure — the problem is, the timer on his tenure is a lot more audible in year three than in year one or two. All these mitigating circumstances but for Covid-19 were true of the team he picked up the day he was hired and were true of the team he coached all last season. This is his third year, infused with back-to-back top-of-class picks. It's disingenuous to suggest he hasn't had time to carve out an identity. He has. It just hasn't developed. Maybe it still will, I don't know, but what I do know is any time I watch this team play, I have no idea what they are supposed to be other than "young," which in my book, is a statistic, not a quality.

His inability to even develop an identity bottom-six unit is pretty inexplicable given how easy it is, generally, to find effective fourth-line forecheckers. I suppose the GM did him no favors with double digit debt to ghosts, but it's just odd to not even see him lay claim to his own soldiers. Torts, for example, always had his. Fedotenko, Boyle, Prust, etc. Reliable, effective, and easily-identifiable in their roles. Instead, we get whatever the fuck Brett Howden is, mashed into the lineup because he is, by most accounts, a good person.

I really like Quinn as a person. He seems like a genuine guy. Funny, likeable, and endearing. I just can't watch the results and also come to the conclusion that "good NHL coach," is among his best traits.