• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign D Jack Johnson to 1-Year Deal; $1.15M AAV

Phil

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there a time when a player such as this, is deemed to not be what he once was or was supposed to be? This guy's last few years are proof that he's not a top pairing player. I'd like to give Ranger management enough credit to realize this and take this as a depth signing and NOT as a top pairing pick up.

If anything this is a reclamation project. I doubt they are done with adding D men.

Such a player should have been signed on a tryout contract. But 1 year. 1 mill is nothing to be ranting about. But seeing a guy like Turris get 1.65 when this team COULD use a veteran center on the cheap to stash on the lower lines, makes you wonder what the Rangers game plan actually is. While Turris hasn't been good as a top 6 player for years, he should be at the stage in his career where he realizes that he won't get the ice time he once got AND needs to kind of change his mindset into being what he is now. Bottom 6 material.

Johnson hopefully is doing the same.

Plus, who exactly have they missed out on that they can't bring in on another 1 year deal?

Signing Johnson didn't stop them from signing anyone else on your list.

Many are still out there. Greene may retire.

The players also have to want to sign here (for 1 year and for roughly league minimum?) Maybe they're weighing their options?

Did anyone see the Rangers comments? I haven't. But you're acting like they said they isolated the molecule that'll lead them to the cure for corona and it's JMFJ.

I think everyone needs to really relax here. There are other moves to be made. Missing out on John Merrill isn't really something to be upset over.

Do you honestly think though that they are bringing in another veteran 6/7 D this offseason?

And we are putting this on the GM. No the sky isn?t falling but the years during a rebuild get hampered more by signings like this rather than help. Saying why the hell would we sign the worst NHL defenseman is on Gorton for sure. Doesn?t mean it?s dismantling what has been done, but just really is a move that misses the mark in every way.

I think though you are missing a key point. Correct, they can waive him when he?s trash. However they?ll have missed on the FA opportunity of getting a similar cost but actual useful veteran D that was available now because they instead went the direction of this dumpster fire. They won?t be around when the season starts and I personally believe this flat cap is scaring some guys. I think by two or three days from now some guys still out there that are depth players would jump at a contract. You?re already seeing some lower valued signings.

Hell, I think I?d even rather have Del Zotto back who is sitting out there too. There is Greene, Hainsey, Daley, Koekkeok, et al still out there that would have all been better options.

I'd take any one of those guys at the depth player contract price. Who knows. Maybe the Rangers aren't done with the one signing that barely impacts the roster. I'd really like DelZotto to come back. Perfect depth guy.

Do you honestly think though that they are bringing in another veteran 6/7 D this offseason?

And we are putting this on the GM. No the sky isn’t falling but the years during a rebuild get hampered more by signings like this rather than help. Saying why the hell would we sign the worst NHL defenseman is on Gorton for sure. Doesn’t mean it’s dismantling what has been done, but just really is a move that misses the mark in every way.

No, they did that with JJ.

They're still probably looking for a top D and if they don't land one, it'll be Lindgren, Smith, JJ, K Miller. JD said we're a ways off. They'r enot looking for someone to put them over the top, today.

And this is a one year nothing contract. Doesn't hamper the rebuild, at all.

Johnson played that much because Dumoulin only played 28 games.

Check the game logs, when Dumoulin came back, JJ was playing like 14ish minutes. And that was under Martin.

Again, all of this is total overreaction until Gorton says "we found our #1LD!"

Okay, but even then, 7 D don't play 14 minutes. They signed him to play him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Pretty sure most here would be laughing if the isles or devils signed one of if not the worst dman in the league on day one.

It's absolutely on Gorton and not the player. The jury is still out imo for both Quinn and Gorton and this season if there is a meaningful one should help measure their value. It's certainly not about this one move.

But as discussed before Gorton has benefitted from some tremendous luck between ping pong balls and FA wanting to be here.

Doesn't work that way with buyouts. Guess the Caps envision Hank as their AHL starter since he's only getting $1.5 million, too?

He's averaged 20 minutes every season he's played. It's absurd to suggest that's suddenly unexpected because he changed teams again.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Why wouldn't that change though. As players get older, and there's obvious decline, their roles and expectations are sure to change.

I don't think your Lundqvist analogy works here.. Is Lundqvist going to be starting 65 games for the Caps? That's what he's done his whole career besides last year..

Players CAN be used differently. I really don't see JJ being used as anything more than a veteran D-man to play a 3rd pair/ 7th Dman role.

I expect another signing or trade to shore up the the D.

No, they did that with JJ.

They're still probably looking for a top D and if they don't land one, it'll be Lindgren, Smith, JJ, K Miller. JD said we're a ways off. They'r enot looking for someone to put them over the top, today.

And this is a one year nothing contract. Doesn't hamper the rebuild, at all.

I guess you are going on the premise of them moving ADA?

As someone who hasn't paid attention to the player at all...

Worst D man in the league is seriously a reach. The guy was getting 20 minutes a night and failed. Probably matched up against top lines. Why does a guy like this continually get major minutes with multiple teams? Teams that have been better than the Rangers for the last few years? Maybe, just maybe as a top pairing guy he isn't that good? And if distributed correctly and not in a prominent role, maybe he plays better? I sincerely doubt he gets the role he's been given everywhere else here.

Just don't get how he was able to get these opportunities if he's "the worst Dman in the league".

It's frustrating that the Rangers didn't do more yesterday but if you stand back and think about it... signing JJ actually isn't a big deal at all.

I think K'Andre Miller impressed at camp in his "return to play" and I think they're hopeful he can slot into the lineup next year. There are also a few other guys on the verge of making the team and if JJ is all they do on the back end, I think we can assume at least one rookie D making the roster.

But big picture, the rangers have 12m in dead space this upcoming season. I think they're looking at one more year of development for Kakko, Lafrenier, Fox, Lindgren, Shesty, Chytil etc before they make a splash next offseason when all the dead space is gone. JJ is a fine, ultra cheap veteran to just plop in the lineup and hope for the best. Realistically his spot will be taken by younger guys at some point in the season and then he'll be gone with the rest of the dead space.

Im still hopeful the Rangers can sign Matt Martin and trade Strome but it seems covid and the landscape of the league might mean they just run the same team back again.

But there's still lots of time to figure it out. I don't think they're done.

For you guys that understand analytics and advanced stats (I don't) as good as this guy who saw him play for two years in Pitt and sums it up here. There's a ton of stuff in great detail in this article filled with data to back it all up.

2019-20 Season in Review: Jack Johnson

Someone had to do it. Let’s talk about Jack Johnson’s 2019-20 season.

They always say data doesn’t lie. In this chart you can see literally every single player getting dragged down by the big suck that is Jack Johnson on the ice, as opposed to breaking free of the anchor and playing well when he’s not out there.

redemption(?)

Bottom Line

Two years into his deal, and Jack Johnson has delivered on everything we thought we’d get from him: terrible possession metrics, the ability to make his defense partner worse, and a lot of blocks and hits and watching his team get scored on a lot. An awful lot.

Over the past two years, the Pens have been outscored 87-109 at 5v5 with Jack Johnson on the ice. That’s only 44.4% of the goals Take Johnson off the ice and at 5v5 the Pens outscore their opponents to the tune of 246-179 (57.8% of the goals).

I went into this season review never intending to make a “hit piece” on Johnson, because I see all the criticism he receives from the fan base. And, again, I’m sure he’s a swell guy off the ice. But I’m drawing conclusions from the “eye test” and what these standard and advanced metrics tell me. Simply put, you can pay a bottom-pairing defender much, much less than $3.25M to hit and block shots, and get some kind of tangible “doesn’t also kill the team while he’s on the ice” too.

Ideal 2020-21

A broadcasting professor I had in college often gave her students a countdown when the students were about to “go on the air” and the “pressure was on” for an assignment. Before they began, she’d always say: “3-2-1 don't suck!”

Well, for Johnson, that’s basically where we’re at. We just have to hope he goes out there and doesn't suck more often than not.

That has been the challenge, he drags down his partner and his forwards, no matter who he plays with. If Johnson remains on this roster, he must remain sheltered in the third defense pair to hide his limitations, which still ends up biting the team more often than not when he finds ways to be on the ice for a ton of goals against (see Montreal series).

The true ideal, would be to not give Jack Johnson the chance to tank another season, and gain an addition by removing him from the roster. Mike Sullivan erred mightily in continuing to play Johnson all season and playoffs, even when it was blatantly clear how much the team struggled with No 3 on the ice. The Pens would be much better off buying out or trading Jack Johnson. Or if he’s really such a great teammate maybe he can come up with an allergy to his pads or some other bogus way to help by staying away.

https://www.pensburgh.com/2020/9/3/21417686/2019-20-season-in-review-jack-johnson-penguins-advanced-stats-nhl

For you guys that understand analytics and advanced stats (I don't) as good as this guy who saw him play for two years in Pitt and sums it up here. There's a ton of stuff in great detail in this article filled with data to back it all up.

2019-20 Season in Review: Jack Johnson

Someone had to do it. Let?s talk about Jack Johnson?s 2019-20 season.

redemption(?)

https://www.pensburgh.com/2020/9/3/21417686/2019-20-season-in-review-jack-johnson-penguins-advanced-stats-nhl

This is great. We ARE paying him much less, to be a third pairing defender!

:thumbs:

Just can't get this upset about a depth move on day one of a truly bizarre FA period. If he ends up playing 20 minutes a night and getting walked on like Tony DeAngelo vs Aho on the regular, then get mad.

He'll play - as Pete said - 14 minutes a night, probably on the third pair....this is a harmless move.

Just can't get this upset about a depth move on day one of a truly bizarre FA period. If he ends up playing 20 minutes a night and getting walked on like Tony DeAngelo vs Aho on the regular, then get mad.

He'll play - as Pete said - 14 minutes a night, probably on the third pair....this is a harmless move.

Agreed. Plus this isn't a case of Staal or Smith where you're trapped having to carry him because of NMCs or limited cap relief. As been brought up, he's incredibly easy to bury if he really ends up being so bad that you need to expel him from the roster. There's no attachment here.

Well, if we make a pretty direct comparison since you assume he's 3rd pairing, he's basically taking the place of Marc Staal. He played nearly 18 minutes per game, which is probably what JJ plays. That's..........problematic.