• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign D Jack Johnson to 1-Year Deal; $1.15M AAV

Phil

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have the option to waive him and send him down if he’s costing them games.

And I never said it was harmless. I said low risk. There’s a distinction there. And I meant it referring to the money.

I get a degree of “face palm” and “upset” over this.

But he’s lousy he can be dispensed with painlessly and quickly with virtually no real consequences.

That said, unless he somehow remembers how to play hockey, if he’s anywhere but bottom pair, that’s a problem.

I think though you are missing a key point. Correct, they can waive him when he’s trash. However they’ll have missed on the FA opportunity of getting a similar cost but actual useful veteran D that was available now because they instead went the direction of this dumpster fire. They won’t be around when the season starts and I personally believe this flat cap is scaring some guys. I think by two or three days from now some guys still out there that are depth players would jump at a contract. You’re already seeing some lower valued signings.

Hell, I think I’d even rather have Del Zotto back who is sitting out there too. There is Greene, Hainsey, Daley, Koekkeok, et al still out there that would have all been better options.

• Like 1

I think though you are missing a key point. Correct, they can waive him when he’s trash. However they’ll have missed on the FA opportunity of getting a similar cost but actual useful veteran D that was available now because they instead went the direction of this dumpster fire. They won’t be around when the season starts and I personally believe this flat cap is scaring some guys. I think by two or three days from now some guys still out there that are depth players would jump at a contract. You’re already seeing some lower valued signings.

Hell, I think I’d even rather have Del Zotto back who is sitting out there too. There is Greene, Hainsey, Daley, Koekkeok, et al still out there that would have all been better options.

It’s a fair point you make Keirik. But it’s not lost on me.

I guess my position is simply, if the organization sees or likes something in Johnson at that price and on this specific deal for some specific reason I’m ok with having a little faith in this flyer on him, even if it probably doesn’t go well.

Now, if you wanna say that they should have absolutely no reason to make that evaluation given his play, I get that.

As for other guys they could’ve signed at that price, yeah, I get that too. But they preferred this deal with this player.

Have a little faith.

He may just wind up in Hartford with the kids, which is fine, or as a depth D, which is ok too.

It’s possible they legitimately envision him in Hartford around the kids.

From the Athletic winners and loser of free agency thus far. No surprise we're losers.

New York Rangers

Somehow, Jack Johnson was able to get another NHL contract. He is no longer an NHL-calibre player and is unlikely to be worth any deal at any price. Even at $1.15 million for one year, it’s a bad investment, one he outplays just seven percent of the time. The Rangers paid a fair amount to get out of Marc Staal’s contract in what should’ve been a strong addition by subtraction move, but then went out and signed someone even worse. It’s hard to believe signings like these are still happening in 2020.

It's just so sickening and disheartening. I really didn't think I'd have to watch a useless old piece of crap play defense anymore, but it just won't end.

I highly doubt they or he envisions being in Hartford after ~14 years in the NHL. He according to the article below cleared his bankruptcy debit after the 2016 season. Since then he's signed contracts worth somewhere between 20-24M (depending on exactly when the debit was paid) regardless I'm not sure riding the bus in Hartford and helping those kids down is what this is about.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/11/columbus-blue-jackets-jack-johnson-gives-up-two-years-of-his-salary-to-settle-debts

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jack-johnson

I highly doubt they or he envisions being in Hartford after ~14 years in the NHL. He according to the article below cleared his bankruptcy debit after the 2016 season. Since then he's signed contracts worth somewhere between 20-24M (depending on exactly when the debit was paid) regardless I'm not sure riding the bus in Hartford and helping those kids down is what this is about.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/11/columbus-blue-jackets-jack-johnson-gives-up-two-years-of-his-salary-to-settle-debts

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jack-johnson

He has to at least accept that it is a possibility if he signed this deal on this team and at this stage in his career.

I think though you are missing a key point. Correct, they can waive him when he?s trash. However they?ll have missed on the FA opportunity of getting a similar cost but actual useful veteran D that was available now because they instead went the direction of this dumpster fire. They won?t be around when the season starts and I personally believe this flat cap is scaring some guys. I think by two or three days from now some guys still out there that are depth players would jump at a contract. You?re already seeing some lower valued signings.

Hell, I think I?d even rather have Del Zotto back who is sitting out there too. There is Greene, Hainsey, Daley, Koekkeok, et al still out there that would have all been better options.

Signing Johnson didn't stop them from signing anyone else on your list.

Many are still out there. Greene may retire.

The players also have to want to sign here (for 1 year and for roughly league minimum?) Maybe they're weighing their options?

Did anyone see the Rangers comments? I haven't. But you're acting like they said they isolated the molecule that'll lead them to the cure for corona and it's JMFJ.

I think everyone needs to really relax here. There are other moves to be made. Missing out on John Merrill isn't really something to be upset over.

Yeah, if you only view this through the lens of "apocalypse or bust," sure, he's not the end times. But he's still really bad.

If you carry $1,000 in cash on you and get robbed, would you be consoled by someone telling you "relax, it's not like they took every penny you own?" That's not the point. You want your fucking money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If the Rangers are right about Jack Johnson, who on Friday signed a one-year, $1.15 million deal days after having been bought out of the final three seasons of his contract by the Penguins, then pretty much everyone else in the NHL is wrong.

The phrase, ?struggled mightily? was invented to describe Johnson?s two seasons in Pittsburgh. Nevertheless, he signed with the endorsement of assistant coach (defense) Jacques Martin, who joined the Blueshirts this summer following seven years with the Penguins, and of president John Davidson, who had the same role in Columbus during the 33-year-old?s six-plus seasons with the Blue Jackets.

In this case, then, familiarity did not breed contempt.

Johnson can be physically inclined. He does have 937 games of experience in an NHL career that began following his third-overall selection by the Hurricanes in 2005. He does rank 35th in the NHL in blocked shots over the past two seasons. But he has trouble with speed, he does not drive play, his coverage has been suspect and his peripheral numbers have been among the worst in the league the last couple of years. And his stay in Columbus ended when he was scratched for the entirety of the Blue Jackets? six-game, first-round playoff loss to the Capitals in 2018.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/09/rangers-sign-jack-johnson-in-curious-nhl-free-agency-move/

From the same article, the voice of reason ommitted...

It is difficult to put the signing of Johnson into context without knowing the role the team envisions for him. If it is as a third-pair guy who will be sheltered as required by coach David Quinn, well, that?s one thing. But if the team envisions a lead role for him, say, as Jacob Trouba?s left-side partner, that is quite another.

It is all rather hazy at the moment. It is hard to believe there won?t be more coming. DeAngelo could still be moved. It is very early in the off-season that has already featured a buyout of Henrik Lundqvist, the trade of Staal, the first-overall selection of Alexis Lafreniere ? and a very controversial decision to sign a polarizing defenseman, even if for only one year and $1.15 million.

We?ll see.

My real issue with this move aside from the “why”... is the timing.

I don’t think there was a long list of GMs beating down his door, he could have been signed in a month, or January for that matter. I just don’t see the point on spending 1 dollar, let alone 1.15 million on a player of this caliber on day one of free agency.

This makes me think 22 year old Gorton was the guy that walked into a bar, identified the most horrid looking lady there 5 minutes after happy hour started and was in home in bed by 7:00.

My real issue with this move aside from the ?why?... is the timing.

I don?t think there was a long list of GMs beating down his door, he could have been signed in a month, or January for that matter. I just don?t see the point on spending 1 dollar, let alone 1.15 million on a player of this caliber on day one of free agency.

This makes me think 22 year old Gorton was the guy that walked into a bar, identified the most horrid looking lady there 5 minutes after happy hour started and was in home in bed by 7:00.

So to be clear, your issue is that they had every intention of signing a player, but signed him today instead of a month from now? For peanuts? A move that doesn't stop them from doing anything else they want to do?

I get it, I guess?

Well said.

My real issue with this move aside from the ?why?... is the timing.

I don?t think there was a long list of GMs beating down his door, he could have been signed in a month, or January for that matter. I just don?t see the point on spending 1 dollar, let alone 1.15 million on a player of this caliber on day one of free agency.

So to be clear, your issue is that they had every intention of signing a player, but signed him today instead of a month from now? For peanuts? A move that doesn't stop them from doing anything else they want to do?

I get it, I guess?

No. Let the market play out, and if all that’s left is the worst possible option, take it then.. you don’t take the worst possible option right out of the gate. We can quibble of the merits of the player if you like, I just don’t see pouncing on what even his most ardent backers would call a severely flawed defenseman.

Obviously OBVIOUSLY at that price tag they don't have grand visions for his usage.

Doesn't work that way with buyouts. Guess the Caps envision Hank as their AHL starter since he's only getting $1.5 million, too?

He's averaged 20 minutes every season he's played. It's absurd to suggest that's suddenly unexpected because he changed teams again.

I'm not sure why folks are up in arms about a depth signing. It costs us like...150k to send him to the minors if need be, and it's overwhelmingly likely he's either #6 or #7 on the pecking order.

It's day 1. Almost nobody of value to the Rangers has signed elsewhere. This doesn't hurt at all. Not sure why we're so upset about this.

• Like 1

Not familiar with Jacques Martin defensive system but he is 68. Maybe Johnson is signed to help teach the system and be the 7th defenseman.

According to Anthony Scultore of ForeverBlueshirts, the Rangers updated their roster on their website last night and neither Jack Johnson or Strome were listed on the roster but Bitetto and Rooney were.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

From the same article, the voice of reason ommitted...

Great, and when that happens, we'll see what comes of it. I can only operate with the information I'm given. Right now, today, Johnson is an every game player. That's a recipe for disaster for the same reasons it was with Columbus and Pittsburgh, who both ended up taking drastic actions to mitigate his negative impact.

Maybe I’m just reading this all wrong.. Johnson and the other guys signed today we’re purposefully done. But I’d think filling the meaningful or hopeful key contributor spots first, considering the cap crunch, would be the way to go. These signings are JAG’s, I’d have liked to keep that 125k, here, or 150k there in the pocket. Having an extra mill to work with an actual contributor would be a better option IMO.. most of the guys we signed yesterday are a dime a dozen, they will be there when you have finished shopping and want to spend your last few bucks

Doesn't work that way with buyouts. Guess the Caps envision Hank as their AHL starter since he's only getting $1.5 million, too?

He's averaged 20 minutes every season he's played. It's absurd to suggest that's suddenly unexpected because he changed teams again.

Johnson played that much because Dumoulin only played 28 games.

Check the game logs, when Dumoulin came back, JJ was playing like 14ish minutes. And that was under Martin.

Again, all of this is total overreaction until Gorton says "we found our #1LD!"

Maybe I’m just reading this all wrong.. Johnson and the other guys signed today we’re purposefully done. But I’d think filling the meaningful or hopeful key contributor spots first, considering the cap crunch, would be the way to go. These signings are JAG’s, I’d have liked to keep that 125k, here, or 150k there in the pocket. Having an extra mill to work with an actual contributor would be a better option IMO.. most of the guys we signed yesterday are a dime a dozen, they will be there when you have finished shopping and want to spend your last few bucks

I think it's a nuance of the tone of all the posts, which is "I hate this because JJ sucks"...Maybe switch over to "I hate this because Gorton's an idiot."

The player is what the player is, but Gorton offered him a contract so why is everyone continuing to rag on the player and not the GM who took him?