• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign D Jack Johnson to 1-Year Deal; $1.15M AAV

Phil

Because they signed him instead of a guy less likely to be waived and sent down for sucking. They'll then need to replace him with someone else who will cost additional dollars from a pool less likely to include good options. Bad decisions tend to have ripple effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That’s just it. Signing him means they aren’t going to sign another D man that could actually have provided leadership and be an NHL defenseman along the way. And to do it hours into the FA period just seems....odd. I highly doubt teams were knocking his door down. There were better options. A lot better ones.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He won't drive much as far as outcomes go if he's used sparsely, and correctly. He will, however, have an opportunity to impart a wealth of knowledge and experience on a young, impressionable group.

This is obviously something a NHL FO values, and bloggers do not.

Sure he will. He'll lead to worse outcomes more often, which is what bad players in big roles tend to do. The more of them you have, the worse your odds of winning games.

I agree that they value his leadership and experience, I just don't agree that he was the right guy to target for that. Andy Greene and Ron Hainsey are both still currently available. I'd give them Johnson's deal in a heart beat if it meant literally trading places.

I don't care about your "bloggers" slight, either. I find their head-in-the-sandedness to be just as irritating. The difference is, they're rarely in a position to be listened to. NHL GMs are. And this one just signed a guy that from boxcars to spreadsheets is objectively awful at hockey. Even if you want to dismiss every "advanced" category, he's a fucking career minus-114. ONE HUNDRED AND FOURTEEN. He's shit.

That?s just it. Signing him means they aren?t going to sign another D man that could actually have provided leadership and be an NHL defenseman along the way. And to do it hours into the FA period just seems....odd. I highly doubt teams were knocking his door down. There were better options. A lot better ones.

Thank You. You just answered Pete?s question. This is 1.4 mil that they could use for just about ANY D man still in the market that would be a better choice.

That?s just it. Signing him means they aren?t going to sign another D man that could actually have provided leadership and be an NHL defenseman along the way. And to do it hours into the FA period just seems....odd. I highly doubt teams were knocking his door down. There were better options. A lot better ones.
Thank You. You just answered Pete?s question. This is 1.4 mil that they could use for just about ANY D man still in the market that would be a better choice.

How many other D signed for 1/$1.5?

That’s just it. Signing him means they aren’t going to sign another D man that could actually have provided leadership and be an NHL defenseman along the way. And to do it hours into the FA period just seems....odd. I highly doubt teams were knocking his door down. There were better options. A lot better ones.

There still are. I'd have taken Greene or Hainsey, who have more wisdom in their gray-as-fuck beards, and who's best days are well behind them, over a younger, shittier version for literally any dollar amount.

Wow. 600k difference.

Massive impact there.

You were the one asking about guys signing for that price range, anyway. Not me. But that's still not the point. It's the player, not the dollars. JJ is an objectively bad player by every measure. Other guys aren't. They chose the bad one for specious reasons when comparable (price-wise) alternatives would likely have given them much of the same at nowhere near the net negative on the ice.

It's like signing Boogaard or Brashear over someone who can also fight but doesn't abjectly suck at playing the game.

You were the one asking about guys signing for that price range, anyway. Not me. But that's still not the point. It's the player, not the dollars. JJ is an objectively bad player by every measure. Other guys aren't. They chose the bad one for specious reasons when comparable (price-wise) alternatives would likely have given them much of the same at nowhere near the net negative on the ice.

It's like signing Boogaard or Brashear over someone who can also fight but doesn't abjectly suck at playing the game.

And it's the first day of free agency with plenty of players unsigned.

I spent enough energy on this, you can go on being upset about it, I'll just wait for it to play out.

How many other D signed for 1/$1.5?

On day one? Probably not many, but I?m not sure if that?s a point in your favor or not. He?s literally so bad that on day one even he himself agreed on a salary that is near league minimum. What was the rush with him? If you went shopping for a used car and first dealership you won?t to found the shittiest car with the worst reliability, would you buy it or look elsewhere for something reliable instead? What?s the worst that can happen? Someone else buys the hunk of junk in the meantime? So be it then. Their problem when it breaks down. There will always be plenty of used cars out there.

We don't know who they called, who wasn't interested at that price, whether they know any of those guys from Adam, whether they know things that would make them look where they did, we don't know anything except that Jack Johnson isn't a very good hockey player, that's undeniable. But neither are the alternatives at that price point.

I'll reserve judgment until we understand the plan.

Not when 75% of it can be buried by having him give his handjobs in Connecticut.

More. A one-way contract counts for minimum salary + $375K. The current minimum salary was raised to $700k so that means a total of 1.075M. Only $75k would count against the cap and that's pocket change in the grand scheme.

More. A one-way contract counts for minimum salary + $375K. The current minimum salary was raised to $700k so that means a total of 1.075M. Only $75k would count against the cap and that's pocket change in the grand scheme.

Thank you, even better, so litteraly no strings attached.

Dude he makes nothing on a one year contract.

No one should complain until we see how he's being used.

If he's awful and gets waived then sent down, then who cares?

Why anyone would spend mental energy on being upset by this is beyond me.

Agree with this.

There?s no denying he?s been atrocious. But on this contract he?s fine. Next to zero risk

Agree with this.

There’s no denying he’s been atrocious. But on this contract he’s fine. Next to zero risk

Except for the games you waste (and potentially lose) finding this out. It's not harmless no matter how many times you guys insist it. It's just that the price tag somewhat, and potentially mitigates the extent to which the experiment will go on.

Except for the games you waste (and potentially lose) finding this out. It's not harmless no matter how many times you guys insist it. It's just that the price tag somewhat, and potentially mitigates the extent to which the experiment will go on.

They have the option to waive him and send him down if he’s costing them games.

And I never said it was harmless. I said low risk. There’s a distinction there. And I meant it referring to the money.

I get a degree of “face palm” and “upset” over this.

But if he’s lousy he can be dispensed with painlessly and quickly with virtually no real consequences.

That said, unless he somehow remembers how to play hockey, if he’s anywhere but bottom pair, that’s a problem.

I saw a list that showed 116 unrestricted free agent Defenseman available. I think 115 of them are better players than Johnson and we probably could have gotten 100 of that same list cheaper.. other than that, not a lot to nit pick about this move.