• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

If I’m being honest with myself here…. I’m going to equal party’s happy and relieved when he is traded to LA.

Same. It just feels like the Rangers will be jumping through far too many hoops to make this work comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same here. I know they won't do 50% but it's there player with a bad contract, whose damaged goods that has worn out his welcome in Buffalo. Much like the Rangers inability to trade Tony D, it's Buffalo's problem like he was the Rangers problem. The only way I want Eichel on the Rangers is if I can fit both he and Zib in the cap while not pillaging the rest of my roster. If Buffalo won't go 50% then they just lost the NY Rangers as a viable option and they can go get their best deal from the Ducks or Kings. Best I'm giving them is Strome or Chytil and Zac Jones. No pick or anything else.

If I’m being honest with myself here…. I’m going to equal party’s happy and relieved when he is traded to LA.

If the Rangers land him, I'll be pumped. But if he's traded to LA (or elsewhere), I agree, I'll be fairly relieved knowing that the team isn't getting blown up.

Same. It just feels like the Rangers will be jumping through far too many hoops to make this work comfortably.

It really does seem like WAY too much work for a guy who I think simply doesn't fit the needs for this team right now. I don't trust the neck injury, and I don't think we should cough up all those assets....

Same here. I know they won't do 50% but it's there player with a bad contract, whose damaged goods that has worn out his welcome in Buffalo. Much like the Rangers inability to trade Tony D, it's Buffalo's problem like he was the Rangers problem. The only way I want Eichel on the Rangers is if I can fit both he and Zib in the cap while not pillaging the rest of my roster. If Buffalo won't go 50% then they just lost the NY Rangers as a viable option and they can go get their best deal from the Ducks or Kings. Best I'm giving them is Strome or Chytil and Zac Jones. No pick or anything else.

Buffalo has three of those players.

Jeff Skinner, who will make 9 million per year until 2027 and is coming off a 14 point season.

Kyle Okposo, who will make 6m per year until 2023 and is coming off a 13 point season (35 games).

Rasmus Ristolainen, who will make 5.4m next season and then go UFA (18 points), and who the Sabres will almost assuredly trade if they move on from Eichel as he's vocally upset with the team too.

The ability to do the Sabres a favor in return for any level of retention is non-existent. It's not happening.

It really does seem like WAY too much work for a guy who I think simply doesn't fit the needs for this team right now. I don't trust the neck injury, and I don't think we should cough up all those assets....

This is the problem with trying to solve the center problem with any level of immediacy - It's Eichel or its "I dunno", and Eichel doesn't actually solve our problems - that's an old refrain.

We can dip into the UFA pool for a Krejci or a Getzlaf or something, but that's a very temporary solution and may cost more than we'd like.

What we need to do is deal to relieve the glut of forwards. For 2021-22, we need a 3C and an LD. If we can find a long-term solution at 2c, great, but not necessary right now.

Think longer term here: If the Blues shit the bed, they deal O'Reilly and start a rebuild - we'd rather be in on that than Eichel, I think. If the Flyers suck, why do Couturier and Giroux re-sign next season? Ditto the Bruins and Bergeron - maybe, just maybe, he's gone. The Lightning will have a 26 year old RFA Brayden Point next offseason, searching for the payday - does that make Stamkos or Cirelli tradeable in June of 22? Of course, there's the biggest big dog - Barkov - if the Panthers go sideways, does he get dealt too?

Even thinking further - Joe Pavelski still doesn't suck, ageless wonder that he is. He's an option next offseason. Same with Malkin. Nazem Kadri is an option next offseason who will be "numbers gamed" out of Colorado. Trocheck is an option next offseason who likely can't stay in Carolina. Hertl is an option that can't/won't stay in SJ and will almost assuredly be dealt soon. Deeper down the lineup, you've got Max Domi - probably fine in a 3c role. Victor Rask is the same. Boone Jenner and Jared McCann are the same.

Bluntly - this is the wrong offseason to be pursuing the longer term solution. Our "right" guys are out there next season. A further cap-crunched NHL in 2022 probably flings a ton of doors open, and it's possibly better to just sit tight, bide our time, commit to Mika, and see if we can bandage the 3c spot enough to make it to the deadline and get a better lay of the land.

• Like 1

This is the problem with trying to solve the center problem with any level of immediacy - It's Eichel or its "I dunno", and Eichel doesn't actually solve our problems - that's an old refrain.

We can dip into the UFA pool for a Krejci or a Getzlaf or something, but that's a very temporary solution and may cost more than we'd like.

What we need to do is deal to relieve the glut of forwards. For 2021-22, we need a 3C and an LD. If we can find a long-term solution at 2c, great, but not necessary right now.

Think longer term here: If the Blues shit the bed, they deal O'Reilly and start a rebuild - we'd rather be in on that than Eichel, I think. If the Flyers suck, why do Couturier and Giroux re-sign next season? Ditto the Bruins and Bergeron - maybe, just maybe, he's gone. The Lightning will have a 26 year old RFA Brayden Point next offseason, searching for the payday - does that make Stamkos or Cirelli tradeable in June of 22? Of course, there's the biggest big dog - Barkov - if the Panthers go sideways, does he get dealt too?

Even thinking further - Joe Pavelski still doesn't suck, ageless wonder that he is. He's an option next offseason. Same with Malkin. Nazem Kadri is an option next offseason who will be "numbers gamed" out of Colorado. Trocheck is an option next offseason who likely can't stay in Carolina. Hertl is an option that can't/won't stay in SJ and will almost assuredly be dealt soon. Deeper down the lineup, you've got Max Domi - probably fine in a 3c role. Victor Rask is the same. Boone Jenner and Jared McCann are the same.

Bluntly - this is the wrong offseason to be pursuing the longer term solution. Our "right" guys are out there next season. A further cap-crunched NHL in 2022 probably flings a ton of doors open, and it's possibly better to just sit tight, bide our time, commit to Mika, and see if we can bandage the 3c spot enough to make it to the deadline and get a better lay of the land.

Yup, We're on the same page here, G man!

I'm just not feeling Eichel....I was hoping to maybe pull in a short term UFA solution to help get some experience for the kids up the middle in Getzlaf...or his type. But I think kicking the can down the road a year when more options are available, and we have a better idea of what we really have in some of these kids after this season may do us the best.

I find it hard to use the last 2 seasons as a rule of thumb....but right now it's all we have to go on for some.

But yeah...I'm with ya! :thumbs:

• Like 1

Barkov isn't going anywhere. The odds of him not staying with Florida are small.

Yeah, Barkov leaving FLA has been debunked pretty much across the board. He's not an option.

It has, but time makes fools of us all. The Panthers are a routinely cash poor team with literally nobody signed beyond 2023 right now except Sergei Bobrovsky and Aaron Ekblad.

Until he's signed, and given the Panthers' track record - I'm at least getting ready for him to be available.

Barkov isn't going anywhere. The odds of him not staying with Florida are small.

there will always be speculation that an upcoming UFA will be on the way out. Florida probably feels good about the direction they are going any, I agree, will likely not move him. But if they dont think they can keep him, they gotta move him now. Such a low cap hit for such a good player, for a full year. He makes basically ANY team that could trade for him an immediate contender/possibly cup favorite.

Yanni Gourde is my choice and the cap constraints in Tampa make him a table option. He's the perfect fit for this team. You can then sign Goodrow to go along with the trade and have 2/3rds of the cup winning vital line.

Yes, including them. They're not moving him.

Florida's so goddamn hard to read right now - they're either on the precipice of being cup contenders or of complete collapse and I'm not sure which. They had a lot of things go very, very well for them last season out of seemingly nowhere - Weegar, Verharghe, Duclair, Wennberg, Vatrano, heck, even Hornqvist not being too old just yet. They feel a little like a house of cards to me.

By far the most interesting team in that division right now, imo. I'm really curious to see how they move forward with much higher expectations and very little long-term certainty.

10. There were rumours Jack Eichel backed away from the disc replacement surgery and would consider a fusion instead, but several sources refuted that. Not true. There was a time I thought a trade might happen sooner rather than later, but after the expansion draft looks more likely. Who’s in there? My guess is Anaheim, Calgary, Minnesota and Vegas, with Boston, the Rangers and possibly Los Angeles on the periphery.

Tough to read the Kings on this one. The Sabres are looking for youth. High-level prospects and picks. The complicating part is Buffalo’s been very careful with Eichel’s medical records. They want to make sure trading partners are serious before allowing access. That’s a little different than St. Louis, which has indicated it will make Vladimir Tarasenko’s available.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-nhls-olympic-participation-stands-off-season-begins/