• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A Song of Ice & Fire (Book Discussion Only) *Possible Spoilers Inside*

4_4

I understand all this.. but even if I was reading the book and this was the end of it I'd be disappointed. In the end of books, even in series of books, story lines either close or have a significant development/question that hangs over into the next book. The ending of the season just seemed to march on with no great closure or revelation besides Daenerys.

That is MY perspective. You don't have to agree with it or try to convince me otherwise. Can you accept that? lol

On the contrary, books are normally written in a way that they have some closing words or chapters after the climax, especially when they are planned to be part of a longer series. Rarely the climax is at the end and not every story plants the seeds to continue reading in the end either. Most of the times it's the unanswered questions from the beginning that are supposed to make you continue.

And how many questions were left open in this one, Phil already pointed out.

• Like 1

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/06/sean_bean_on_whats_next_for_ga.html

What do you think about the reaction to your swan-song episode? They?re calling it a game-changer, and it?s already being submitted for the Emmy ?

That?s good news! It really sets the standard, which is high already, for what you would expect from HBO. This was a courageous venture to take on in the first place, with such a vast, big-scale production, and this very bold, daring narrative structure. That?s what people admire about it. I think people who weren?t as familiar with the books were shocked. I know I was, when I read the script; then I read the book. It?s a good thing about George R.R. Martin: He?s prepared to kill off the main guys. You don?t get the feeling that the good guy is going to last forever, like James Bond.

Do you think Ned?s death is akin to, say, Gandalf?s or Dumbledore?s? Wizardry aside, the father figure dies off so someone smaller can go on a hero?s journey? In this case, the Stark kids?

Yeah! You start with Ned Stark, Lord of Winterfell, who?s strong when he?s introduced and gets weaker and weaker as he goes along, physically and psychologically, because he?s in this corrupt environment, in this real den of snakes, which gets him in the end, and someone else is going to have to take his place. Once he?s imprisoned, for instance, his son Robb has to take control. Ned was very much needed, and he?s the last person you want to see disappear. He?s a voice of reason.

Why do you think Ned lied, claiming he was planning to steal the throne for his own, when he confessed?

I think it was demanded by the queen. He had to humiliate himself, so there was no doubt left as to his betrayal, which wasn?t really a betrayal. It?s so Draconian ? lie, and we?ll let you live on the Wall. And he trusted them for the sake of his children, so even he?s shocked when Joffrey?s going, ?The man is a traitor, off with his head!? The deal didn?t pay off. It would have helped if Ned had a little more guile, a little more cynicism, was a little more calculating.

But he is calculating, in at least one matter: Jon Snow?s parentage. When it comes to Jon Snow?s mother, Ned is extremely tight-lipped, save for his one terse comment to King Robert. The fandom is teeming with theories that Jon isn?t Ned?s bastard at all.

That?s another twist [to come]. It?s a great conundrum. Who do you think it is?

A couple of Thrones folk who die come back to life in various ways, as we?ve seen with the reanimated corpses and other characters to come who manage to defy death. There are fan theories that Ned might as well.

Maybe there?s hope for Ned yet! They can do anything. Anything can happen. It?s a very complex show. Very multilayered. And even the most absurd thing is believable. They?re about to start up again, and I?m feeling a twinge of envy, because the saga gets to go on without me. I?m doing something else now, but sometimes I go, ?Aw, shit, bring me back.?

I thought the last episode was very powerful, because it set up so many great stories without being extremely action packed. So many people can now not be trusted, so many people went from weak to strong and vice versa... amazing stuff. I loved it.

The one aspect of the whole story that has been really good to me from start to finish was Danearys (sp) and what happens with her. With the dragons now im 2x more interested. The actual "game of thrones" is now the least interesting part of the whole thing honestly.

Also Robb being hailed as the king of the north was awesome.

Which was always kinda her nickname as far as I remember, cause she WAS born during a storm. She just never used it and there was no reason to do so.

I love to see that so many people here, who didn't knew the books before the series started, now like the series and are actually reading the books.

Fandom here has at least doubled from before and that's a very good sign.

Well on to season two and the war of the five Kings :)

Now I've seen it too. Great final to a great series.

But I wonder, whom of you who doesn't know the books, was thinking "Oh crap there goes the next main character", when Dany walked into the fire? :D

And that have to be the cutest dragons in movie/TV history :D

Edited by H-Dreamer

Now I've seen it to. Great final to a great series.

But I wonder, whom of you who doesn't know the books, was thinking "Oh crap there goes the next main character", when Dany walked into the fire? :D

And that have to be the cutest dragons in movie/TV history :D

I didn't think that at all. It was from episode 1 with the steaming bath we knew she was the Dragon, not her annoying brother. Than the bro got that golden crown poured all over him and she was so obvious in what she said, same with the heating of the eggs/stones and the girl burning her hands. I know she was the Dragon and loved every second of that scene, also, there was no chance she would die too, as that would've ended the complete storyline there, which was impossible.