• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Igor Shesterkin Could Aim for Historic Contract After Dominant Playoff Run

There’s reason to believe that Shesterkin’s camp is aiming for as high as $12 million a year, which would be a NHL record-setting cap hit for a goaltender.

On July 1, the Blueshirts are permitted to begin negotiating with the 2022 Vezina winner’s camp. 

Carey Price’s eight-year deal with Montreal carries an average annual value of $10.5 million for a total value of $84 million, while Andrei Vasilevskiy’s contract with the Lightning has a cap hit of $9.5 million and a total value of $76 million. 

Coincidentally, Shesterkin’s compatriot at the other end of the ice in the Rangers’ Eastern Conference Final loss, Sergei Bobrovsky, is the most notable comparable.

Bobrovsky is approaching the second-to-last season of a seven-year, $70 million deal with an AAV of $10 million. 

If Shesterkin comes in at $12 million, that would represent roughly 13 percent of the cap and would diminish each year as it rises. 

https://nypost.com/2024/06/02/sports/rangers-igor-shesterkin-could-get-historic-contract-after-dominant-run/

Thats fucking crazy talk!!!!  

If EDM wins the SC, it'll be another reason why you shouldnt pay a goalie that kind of money.  

Last year was Adin Hill, Darcy Kuemper the year before, Binnington a couple of years before that.  

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I'm already getting ready to wave goodbye to Igor after next season.  No way we go down that road of having a goalie carry a team like Hank did.  It doesn't work.

We could get a guy like Markstrom and he'd be fine.

• Bullseye 1

I'm gonna be honest — I'm not sure the Rangers have a choice here. All they can hope to do is chip away at his ask and get him as close to the Sorokin/Vasilevskiy/Hellebuyck AAVs as possible. Especially when you look at the fact he saved 15+ expected goals against in this run alone. He was utterly dominant.

While I subscribe to the same philosophy (DO NOT PAY THAT MAN @Morphinity 2.0), I'm completely torn on the idea of just walking away. They literally can't afford either scenario, really.

• Bullseye 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

I love Igor...his next deal is going to kill us!  If we use the money we save on his deal for bigger, tougher, faster players....we don't need him as much to be super human.  Look what Edmonton is doing with Skinner....and he's not the greatest by a mile!

• Applause 1

Committing more than 10% of your cap to the goalie position is insane. $8 mil max for the starter. MAX.

Edmonton Goalie: $2.6 mil per

Dallas Goalie: $4 mil per

Florida: $10 mil per

New York: $5.6 mil per

How about we worry about building a juggernaut defense in front of the Goalie so we don't have to rely on the #1 goalie in the league to stop a ton of chances? We tried to goalie route. It didn't work with Hank and it isn't working with Igor. New game plan please.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm gonna be honest — I'm not sure the Rangers have a choice here. All they can hope to do is chip away at his ask and get him as close to the Sorokin/Vasilevskiy/Hellebuyck AAVs as possible. Especially when you look at the fact he saved 15+ expected goals against in this run alone. He was utterly dominant.

While I subscribe to the same philosophy (DO NOT PAY THAT MAN @Morphinity 2.0), I'm completely torn on the idea of just walking away. They literally can't afford either scenario, really.

The merit to walking away is you're not locking up so much in goaltending and therefore leaving plenty to improve the rest of your roster - so you're not as reliant on goaltending, needing 15+ goals saved to get through. It doesn't even necessarily mean spending nothing on goaltending, but just being a bit more frugal - signing a $5M guy and a $2M or less guy.

I'm not even totally convinced it's a great strategy. It's worked for teams like Colorado, but there are plenty of other teams undone by bad goaltending. On the other hand, spending $12M on your starting goaltender is just so unpalatable when you see what happened to the Habs/Price and Rangers/Lundqvist. It totally handcuffs you.

The one feather in the Rangers' cap is a guy like Allaire. I'm pretty sure he could work with any goaltender and make them respectable. But he could also be an advocate for paying Shesterkin, so who knows.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Valriera said:

The irony being florida just beat us with a 10M goalie who didn't have to do anything

Spot on.

Work on the rest of the team. Take the Florida blueprint and expand (Game play not goalie salary). 

Edited by jsm7302

I can't take another tenure of Hank v2.0 where we get all-star-caliber goaltending, mediocre defense, and offense that scores 0-2 goals per playoff game. I can't fucking take it. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

The merit to walking away is you're not locking up so much in goaltending and therefore leaving plenty to improve the rest of your roster - so you're not as reliant on goaltending, needing 15+ goals saved to get through. It doesn't even necessarily mean spending nothing on goaltending, but just being a bit more frugal - signing a $5M guy and a $2M or less guy.

I'm not even totally convinced it's a great strategy. It's worked for teams like Colorado, but there are plenty of other teams undone by bad goaltending. On the other hand, spending $12M on your starting goaltender is just so unpalatable when you see what happened to the Habs/Price and Rangers/Lundqvist. It totally handcuffs you.

The one feather in the Rangers' cap is a guy like Allaire. I'm pretty sure he could work with any goaltender and make them respectable. But he could also be an advocate for paying Shesterkin, so who knows.

This. Walk away and use the money to build a team around players who can score, good goaltending can be found for cheaper.

Edited by Pete

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Pete said:

So would Kakko. 

Yup. I know they trained together for a spell right? Not sure how much friends they are. It's at least another Finn in the locker room.

I was kind of being facetious. Not sure if Rantanen is even available. If he's not be a slam dunk to re-sign in Colorado before hitting UFA next summer, that might be a name to look into though.

Edited by BrooksBurner

23 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yup. I know they trained together for a spell right? Not sure how much friends they are. It's at least another Finn in the locker room.

I was kind of being facetious. Not sure if Rantanen is even available. If he's not be a slam dunk to re-sign in Colorado before hitting UFA next summer, that might be a name to look into though.

Yeah, I don't think he would be available and I think it would cost a boatload, probably as much as Tkachuk if not more given the Stanley Cup pedigree. 

8 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

Thats fucking crazy talk!!!!  

If EDM wins the SC, it'll be another reason why you shouldnt pay a goalie that kind of money.  

Last year was Adin Hill, Darcy Kuemper the year before, Binnington a couple of years before that.  

Then lock up Shesterkin now so that it won't be an issue during the season.

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I'm already getting ready to wave goodbye to Igor after next season.  No way we go down that road of having a goalie carry a team like Hank did.  It doesn't work.

We could get a guy like Markstrom and he'd be fine.

1) Markstrom has a NMC.  So, the Flames may not trade him anyway.

2) Shesterkin was a big reason why the Rangers did as well as they did.  It pays to lock him up now.

Another issue with walking away really is how it will also affect the way this team plays if the core is mostly the same. They are basically in year x of knowing they can get away with a certain style since Igor will always bail them out. I have confidence that a guy like Lavy could potentially change that style, but you're talking quite a long learning curve and i'm not sure this team has the time and capacity to do so in this window. 

Fair question. Does anyone think this team even sniff sthe 3rd round if they had nearly ANY other goalie in the entire world with the roster the way it is?