• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Will Our Real Captain Stand up?

6 minutes ago, Br4d said:

What the Rangers don't have right now is the guy who drives the team on the ice.

We have a lot of talent that often go off and do their own thing.

Sorry Br4d, I'm not biting.   Prior to Game 4, I called it; the 3rd/4th line domination.   I'd like to refer to them as our 34th Division.   The 34th has continued our their youth movement and they are being driven by Vesey and Goody, and Wenny.  Sure, we missed some wide open shots and are clanging posts, but KK and Cuylle are creating scoring chances everywhere.    This core is leading by example and they'll be the reason the NYR advance.

Now our regulars.   Look around and watch Laffy.   He'll instill some urgency in our vets that, frankly, have a tendency to "glide" as we've all said.   Well, don't look now but your 34th Division just wore down the Canes front lines, again.   So, step it up.

Line by line, goalie-to-goalie, the New York Rangers are the better team.  Laffy and KK, Cuylle and Jimmy are driving this bus now.   I'm just going to sit back, watch and do my own thing.   Be one of our regulars and hop on board.

7 hours ago, Phil said:

If "real captain" is a synonym for best player, the answer is Zibanejad or Trocheck. The game goes through the middle of the ice.

Well, it is and it isn't. "Best player" is loosely correlated but I think as we have seen, this team is its own worst enemy. What I wonder is, who is taking this team and throwing them on his back for one of the next two games. This series will be an era defining series if we lose. Who is preventing that from happening because we have all the talent in the world but.....

Just now, Keirik said:

Well, it is and it isn't. "Best player" is loosely correlated but I think as we have seen, this team is its own worst enemy. What I wonder is, who is taking this team and throwing them on his back for one of the next two games. This series will be an era defining series if we lose. Who is preventing that from happening because we have all the talent in the world but.....

Right. Same. That's what I assumed you meant, we're just using "captain" as the vehicle for it.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, JJ in VA said:

Sorry Br4d, I'm not biting.   Prior to Game 4, I called it; the 3rd/4th line domination.   I'd like to refer to them as our 34th Division.   The 34th has continued our their youth movement and they are being driven by Vesey and Goody, and Wenny.  Sure, we missed some wide open shots and are clanging posts, but KK and Cuylle are creating scoring chances everywhere.    This core is leading by example and they'll be the reason the NYR advance.

Now our regulars.   Look around and watch Laffy.   He'll instill some urgency in our vets that, frankly, have a tendency to "glide" as we've all said.   Well, don't look now but your 34th Division just wore down the Canes front lines, again.   So, step it up.

Line by line, goalie-to-goalie, the New York Rangers are the better team.  Laffy and KK, Cuylle and Jimmy are driving this bus now.   I'm just going to sit back, watch and do my own thing.   Be one of our regulars and hop on board.

Ugh you lost me at KK and Wenny driving anything. At least Cuylle is passing the eye test. Between the 3 of them they have 4 points in 27 games.  Part of the issue is offensively there's nothing to fall back on when the top 6 take the night off. Whatever adjustments the Canes made on the PK have shutdown the PP and without that going we struggle/lose.

• Believe 1

The Rangers need to set up on the power play to be effective.  They haven’t really been able to do that as much.  Not winning faceoffs and Carolina not letting them carry the puck in has neutralized the power play.  Every time the Rangers try to dump in Carolina easily clears it down the ice.  

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The Rangers need to set up on the power play to be effective.  They haven’t really been able to do that as much.  Not winning faceoffs and Carolina not letting them carry the puck in has neutralized the power play.  Every time the Rangers try to dump in Carolina easily clears it down the ice.  

Yes sir, solid adjustment on their part we have yet to counter it.

5 hours ago, Phil said:

I don't know, but I know this: four coaches in three years ain't it.

After 2 years of GG ineptitude and do nothing style, it was impossible to say what this roster was without a real leader. 

Whether or not you think Lavvy is a good coach, It's not even debatable that he is a fat superior coach to GG.

And they took their swing at it this season, and if they go out this way, then you blow it up. 

• Keeps it 100 1

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

After 2 years of GG ineptitude and do nothing style, it was impossible to say what this roster was without a real leader. 

Whether or not you think Lavvy is a good coach, It's not even debatable that he is a fat superior coach to GG.

And they took their swing at it this season, and if they go out this way, then you blow it up. 

Wrong. The indicators were there, but it’s too early for the discussion or to say the indicators were correct yet.

• Believe 1

I'm confident this team will go into Raleigh and take this one just as they did game 3 and game 7 two years ago.  Prior to the start of the series 85% of us, if not more, predicted Rangers in 6.  Its there for the taking.  Its just not the way we envisioned getting to 6.  

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 2

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Wrong. The indicators were there, but it’s too early for the discussion or to say the indicators were correct yet.

Indicators sure. Indicators aren't confirmations.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

This is absolutely right. Your best players have to be your best players. It's great to see Cuylle, Roslovic, or Schneider have a great game here and there - and by all means, they need to chip in. But night-in, night-out, your top dogs getting top minutes need to have a positive impact. There's no way to have playoff success without that. 

I wouldn’t even a mind a bad game once in awhile for the top players, but it’s more often than not 

Edited by Vodka Drunkenski

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Trouba is a real Captain.

Hes just an above average to good player, who is paid like a superstar.

Deal with it.

You’re out from under him soon enough 

I think you're taking this a bit too literal, but it's my bad for the title. I thought it was kind of a bit of an open interpretation but I guess my title is misleading. 

what I'm asking is, who leads this team on the ice with his play asay from a potential era changing embarrassment that could unfold if we aren't careful?

12 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I think you're taking this a bit too literal, but it's my bad for the title. I thought it was kind of a bit of an open interpretation but I guess my title is misleading. 

what I'm asking is, who leads this team on the ice with his play asay from a potential era changing embarrassment that could unfold if we aren't careful?

Trocheck?

16 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I would say nobody in particular. It's going to take a total team effort.

The Rangers don't have a "Messier ECF game 6 against the Devils in 94" on this team IMO.

• Like 1