• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Val Nichushkin Placed in Stage 3 of NHLPA Substance Abuse Program; Suspended Minimum of 6 Months

Just now, Karan said:

Again!? Big loss for the Avs, he's been a scoring machine in these playoffs. 

Bro he leads the league in goals... I feel bad for this dude because he clearly can't get out of his own way

-Makes Millions of dollars a year to play hockey.

-Peak physical condition. World class athlete. Actual physical specimen.

-Bangs anything that moves, because of course he does, he can

-Has many friends and active social life. May enjoy recreational drugs intermittently. 

"Gee whiz, I hope he can get the help he needs"

🤣

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

-Makes Millions of dollars a year to play hockey.

-Peak physical condition. World class athlete. Actual physical specimen.

-Bangs anything that moves, because of course he does, he can

-Has many friends and active social life. May enjoy recreational drugs intermittently. 

"Gee whiz, I hope he can get the help he needs"

🤣

All fun and games until he runs into some coke cut with fentanyl. Just ask Kevin Hayes how he feels about that. 

• Bullseye 1

45 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

All fun and games until he runs into some coke cut with fentanyl. Just ask Kevin Hayes how he feels about that. 

That's a tough take. I get the point but Ouch; attaching names of those who lost family members.

39 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

That's a tough take. I get the point but Ouch; attaching names of those who lost family members.

I get it, but it's an example of a high profile hockey guy who seemingly had it all but also "enjoyed recreational drugs intermittently." 

There are obviously people far worse off than the millionaire stud with a coke problem. But they're living a dangerous life and the league, his team, and his peers have a valid concern here.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I get it, but it's an example of a high profile hockey guy who seemingly had it all but also "enjoyed recreational drugs intermittently." 

There are obviously people far worse off than the millionaire stud with a coke problem. But they're living a dangerous life and the league, his team, and his peers have a valid concern here.

Not only that, but generally with this level of addiction there are serious mental health issues and trauma associated. TO be flip and crass about it is pretty cringe-worthy.

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

On the latest DFO Rundown podcast, Seravalli said he wouldn't be shocked if when the suspension lifts, the Avs look to immediately terminate his contract.

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure the War on Drugs should be fought at the professional sports level.

I get that some of the behavior is egregious however I'm not sure that doing drugs in and of itself is egregious behavior.

Edited by Br4d

On 5/17/2024 at 7:29 PM, Phil said:

On the latest DFO Rundown podcast, Seravalli said he wouldn't be shocked if when the suspension lifts, the Avs look to immediately terminate his contract.

I’d fucking sign him yesterday 

7 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

I’d fucking sign him yesterday 

The big question is whether his addiction is harmful to anybody else or just to himself.

We talk a lot about role models in sports however that era is long gone.  It may have been gone as long ago as When Joe DiMaggio retired.

Mickey Mantle and the Yankees alongside and after him were definitely not role models in terms of how they behaved.  Ball Four blew that cover and it has never been put back on.

The War on Drugs is a Nixon creation, reinforced by Reagan and it has cost us a tremendous amount of capital over the generations while destabilizing our southern neighbors and generally reducing our security levels overall.

5 hours ago, Br4d said:

The big question is whether his addiction is harmful to anybody else or just to himself.

I think when you get forced to step away from the game for the 3rd time, this time in the middle of the 2nd round of a playoff series in which (I believe) you were the leading scorer at the time of the suspension the answer would be a solid yes it does hurt the entire team.  

Is there any scenario where having an addict who has at least twice been placed in the assistance program  and failed twice and is now forced out of the league for a minimum of 6 months not harmful to the team?  I don't see one, I'm pretty damn sure his teammates didn't see one either.

On a personal level it's shame and clearly addiction is a terrible thing (in most people's opinion).  He continues to make some bad choices.  You (not you personally Br4d) can I guess make an argument are drugs really a bad thing? Doesn't matter what we think when it comes to the NHL they have drawn a line in the sand saying yes and frankly that's all that matters until they change the agreement with the NHLPA.  Maybe they do with weed at some point, I can't envision a time where things like cocaine are not frowned upon. But that's just me.

All I'm saying is that short the suspensions it is completely unclear that Nichushkin's addiction (whatever it is) is harmful to anybody but himself.  In that light it's unclear whether or not suspensions are the appropriate response.

The thing that I find interesting is that many of the professional suspension protocols ban alcohol use once a player is placed in the protocol for other offenses.  Those protocols clearly are designed to get the player back on the straight and narrow by banning activities that are not illegal in any way until the protocol has been activated.

My take is that society should impose the proper penalties for actions and once this is done then the professional sports leagues should react to those sanctions in whatever way is appropriate.

If Nichushkin gets arrested for public intoxication, DUI, possession with intent to distribute or any of the other myriad offenses that society regulates then there is a call to action for appropriate suspensions.

The NHL (and other sports leagues) should not be testing for drugs or other non-performance-based substances.  Testing for performance improving drugs makes sense but there should be a clear understanding that those are all that are being tested for.

Again, if a player (or other personnel) forces the issue by breaking the law and getting caught or by becoming a public advocate for risky behavior then things should change.

It's just insane that a player can get blind drunk at home without consequences other than the mother of all hangovers but if they use recreational drugs they risk their ability to play professionally.