• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Did Leetch Score So Many Goals?

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Wow, that brings back some great memories!  Leetch was one of those "once in a lifetime" players.

Leetch was one of the guys that after you saw his first few rushes you knew he was Hall of Fame material.  

Brad Park was young before my time but he probably elicited the same response from Ranger's fans that Leetch did.

57 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Leetch was one of the guys that after you saw his first few rushes you knew he was Hall of Fame material.  

Brad Park was young before my time but he probably elicited the same response from Ranger's fans that Leetch did.

Park was a good player, Brad....but surely nothing like Leetch.  Leetch had a certain feel when he was on the ice.  It was like at any minute something special could happen....and lots of times it did.

When we brought over Messier, his game hit a new level, and he was compared to Chelios for a big part of his career.  Those 2 were probably about the best in the business back then, aside from Bourque and maybe the guy behind our bench now, Phil Housley.

Leetch was special....Park was talented. 

• Cheers 1

I believe Leetch played well over 30 minutes in Game 7 in 94 SCF ….the guys cardio was freakish…I recall Mike Keenan saying he just needed to give leetch 15-20 seconds after a shift and leetch would give Keenan the I’m ready to go again look and off Leetch went 

LGR

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

It was an absolute joy to watch Leetch play.  I agree with about everything said here already.  He was so smooth, smart, and the end to end rushes were breathtaking.  So talented...First ballot Hall of Famer from Day 1.  Rangers don't win the Cup in '94 without him.

• Keeps it 100 3

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Leetch is one of two guys to come up on the Rangers who just looked great from the start.  Igor is the other.

What about Zubov? First 3 years as a ranger, 156 points in 165 games. 

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You guys might be too young to remember but there was this guy Middleton who was pretty damn good, who we drafted and had for a short time....

Games played 1005

goals 448

assists 540

I remember him playing against the Rangers and kicking our ass! Yeah Rick Middleton …. Good call Ozzy

LGR 

ED 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tomas Sandstrom said:

Zubov was really good for the Rangers, very talented....Rangers should have never traded him.  That was a big mistake.

💯 

But... The guy they named the leadership award after insisted...

Just now, Tomas Sandstrom said:

What's the story here, please?

I don't remember all of the details, but he was basically instrumental in getting Gartner and Zubov out of here because he didn't care for them or their personalities or whatever and he bitched to upper management about it.

31 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You guys might be too young to remember but there was this guy Middleton who was pretty damn good, who we drafted and had for a short time....

Middleton was a soft but speedy flyer with the Rangers.  He was the full deal with the Bruins.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Tomas Sandstrom said:

What's the story here, please?

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don't remember all of the details, but he was basically instrumental in getting Gartner and Zubov out of here because he didn't care for them or their personalities or whatever and he bitched to upper management about it.

Messier thought Zubov and Needed were soft. Mess basically bullied Nedved to the point where he was throwing up before games. 

Keenan wanted Gartner gone for the same reason, didn't think he had what it took for the playoffs. Meanwhile Anderson had like five points during the Cup run, or something unimpressive like that. 

Edited by Pete

Oh, so it was mostly Keenan that wanted Gartner gone, or both he and Mess? Either way, both of those guys fucked several players over. I will never not be okay with Gartner not being a part of that Cup team.

12 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Oh, so it was mostly Keenan that wanted Gartner gone, or both he and Mess? Either way, both of those guys fucked several players over. I will never not be okay with Gartner not being a part of that Cup team.

Mess wasn’t a huge fan, but Keenan absolutely couldn’t stand Gartner or players like Gartner in general.

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Messier thought Zubov and Needed were soft. Mess basically bullied Nedved to the point where he was throwing up before games. 

Keenan wanted Gartner gone for the same reason, didn't think he had what it took for the playoffs. Meanwhile Anderson had like five points during the Cup run, or something unimpressive like that. 

Anderson was an empty sweater in this playoffs for the most part. He was done by then. 

And let’s not forget he took that atrocious penalty for slashing with less that 3 minutes to go in Game 6 in NJ that gave the Devils a late PP and a chance to tie up a 3-2 game. 

14 hours ago, mbob said:

Leetch had incredible end to end skills, combined with incredibly skilled teammates that could pass,  puck posses and beat you either way. 

He’s a ny ranger… you know for a second before he shot it he was thinking pass 

• LMFAO 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Eh, whatever decisions were made and for whatever reason they were made, they worked. We'll never know whether we would have won had they not been moved. I'll take the cup. I have no issue