• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes — Round Two General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

They've played one bad game in the last, what, 20? First clunker of the playoffs.

No reason for panic. They've got 2 chances to end it. If they win Thursday, this game is a blip.

I'm not worried. They've responded to adversity all season. I've got no reason to think they won't respond here.

Generally speaking, yes. But the same thing was said after they lost game four. For slightly different reasons (they didn't lose miserably), but the same sentiment technically held true, and they followed that up by losing in the most humiliating fashion possible. Panic is steps too far, I agree, but anyone worrying out loud is IMO entirely justified doing so given how we've watched this same team collapse in this very fashion the last two years in a row.

If you get mugged walking down a dark alley at night, odds are you're going to go a lot of your life, if not all of it, fearful of ever walking down a dark alley at night again. Is that unnecessary? Statistically, probably, but can you really blame them?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

They've played one bad game in the last, what, 20? First clunker of the playoffs.

No reason for panic. They've got 2 chances to end it. If they win Thursday, this game is a blip.

I'm not worried. They've responded to adversity all season. I've got no reason to think they won't respond here.

This.

It’s the 1st really lousy game they’ve had since the Philly game… that was over a month ago. 

Circumstances notwithstanding, they’re still up 3-2. 

And you need some adversity this time of year. Keeps you sharp. 
As said, they’ve responded so well to this type of thing all season long.

And Carolina is a great hockey team.

Did anyone really think going in we weren’t seeing at least 6 in this series? 

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Generally speaking, yes. But the same thing was said after they lost game four. For slightly different reasons (they didn't lose miserably), but the same sentiment technically held true, and they followed that up by losing in the most humiliating fashion possible. Panic is steps too far, I agree, but anyone worrying out loud is IMO entirely justified doing so given how we've watched this same team collapse in this very fashion the last two years in a row.

If you get mugged walking down a dark alley at night, odds are you're going to go a lot of your life, if not all of it, fearful of ever walking down a dark alley at night again. Is that unnecessary? Statistically, probably, but can you really blame them?

Game 4 and 5 are nothing alike so I don't see the point in bringing up game 4 other than it was a game in the series. I'm certainly not going to point at a game they easily could have won as evidence of some collapse and use it to fuel panic. But that's just me. People can feel how they want. If people want to live in that zone of angst, that's their prerogative, I make no judgments. I just choose not to live there. I dip my toe in, but I don't live there.

This isn't last year's team, or the year before's team. They've met every challenge all season long. This team, this season, hasn't given me a reason to think they won't bounce back. If people want to go all the way back to last season and pull on that thread, I mean sure if that satisfies you. That's just not what I'm going to do. New year, different team, different coach, the judgements will be made on how they respond to this game—not because they had a game like this, it happens. Every team in the playoffs has a stinker under their belt.

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Panarin is such a give and take guy. When he gives he’s a golden god. When he’s being bad it’s really bad. He was at the very least partially responsible for at least 2

goals the previous game. Didn’t do shit yesterday. 

you need your top players in every playoff game. 

Bread was -3 in the previous game and -2 last night. In all fairness, he wasn't the only forward in the first two lines during the last two games. Pretty much all of them were, especially last night. The old saying of "It's not how you star, it's how you finish" applies here.

They have two more chances to close out the Craniacs, I'd be surprise if the Rangers won't advance to the ECF....

The Canes will not and do not quit.  There is never a cake-walk to the end with this team.  They've proven this over and over and over again.  When the Rangers play like they've won whether it is the last minute or last 20 minutes of a game the Canes take advantage.  There is no "katy-bar-the-door" or "prevent defense" that can match the Canes efforts even when they are losing.  The Rangers have the better team with more depth and talent than the Canes but they have to play 60 minutes - from start to finish.  Every cutesy pass, dump and chase, icing play that the Rangers do when they think they have won is just another indication to the Canes players that they have them where they want them.  Games 6 will end like games 4 and 5 if the Rangers continue to play like they are going to win on a one goal game or on a tie going into the 3rd period.  Let's see if the deamons from last year are still in control or if the Rangers learned something about discipline and effort after last season.

• Like 1

One other thought - sort of pissed me off last night - the Rangers don't need Chytil or Blake Wheeler in the line up AT ALL to win.  They've won all year long without them.  Last year when the Rangers thought they needed Patrick Kane and Vladimir Tarasenko there was a huge let down from the players - especially the young ones - prior to their acquisitions and a huge lull in the way they played, especially when they got to the playoffs.  The Rangers team that brought them the President's Trophy this year is the team that has the ability to win out and get the Cup.  Chytil needs to retire for health reasons and Blake Wheeler needs to wait until next year if he wants to return.  The young players need to be reassured that there is no one coming from the bottom right now that is going to take their jobs away.  If I were management (Drury and Laviolette primarily) I wouldn't even let those guys near practice.  Think about how you feel when a "new" person shows up to your job site thinking they know everything without ever participating in the existing process.  Those guys are bad for team chemistry right now.

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

New year, different team, different coach, the judgements will be made on how they respond to this game—not because they had a game like this, it happens. Every team in the playoffs has a stinker under their belt.

I think judgement should be made after the Rangers season ends. Loosing like last night is  just a blip in the playoffs. It's upsetting, but there's still two more chances to advance. There's no reason for crying wolf until then.

The Avs probably laid a bigger stinker last night against the Stars and facing elimination in Dallas in game five. Comparing to that, the Rangers are in good shape and can turn it around during the next couple of games....

• Applause 1

I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth.

I'd rather be us than them.  2 games to win 1.  

3-2 is 3-2 no matter how you got there....

but

Sometimes the team that was 3- 0 gets in their heads.

When you've got a good team like that on the ropes and don't finish them, you give them life.

• Keeps it 100 1

28 minutes ago, Bieser said:

I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth.

I'd rather be us than them.  2 games to win 1.  

3-2 is 3-2 no matter how you got there....

but

Sometimes the team that was 3- 0 gets in their heads.

When you've got a good team like that on the ropes and don't finish them, you give them life.

You ain’t wrong. Both points hold equal weight IMO.

Personally, I love the extra day off. That helps us way more than it helps them. It gives us an extra day to breathe, to take it all in, to rest and to re-focus on the job at hand. 

Game 4 was a game played equally. They came out fast. We pushed back hard. In the end, they score late to beat us. That’s a loss you to take on the chin and walk back from. Last night, they ran us out of the building and if not for Igor, that game looks incredibly worse on the scoreboard. The message needs to be sent that it’s unacceptable and that the name guys here need to push back.

Agreed, the Rangers certainly could use the extra day to rest, reset and do some video review/practice to try and address some of the issues.

More importantly, an extra day away from the game to cool off Carolina's momentum (however little) and allowing some of the pressure of another must-win game to creep back into their minds is a good thing. 

35 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

You ain’t wrong. Both points hold equal weight IMO.

Personally, I love the extra day off. That helps us way more than it helps them. It gives us an extra day to breathe, to take it all in, to rest and to re-focus on the job at hand. 

Game 4 was a game played equally. They came out fast. We pushed back hard. In the end, they score late to beat us. That’s a loss you to take on the chin and walk back from. Last night, they ran us out of the building and if not for Igor, that game looks incredibly worse on the scoreboard. The message needs to be sent that it’s unacceptable and that the name guys here need to push back.

The extra day off breaks any momentum CAR had, gives NYR that extra day away from the blowout, it'll be further from their minds.

• Keeps it 100 1

If Chytil can't play:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Cuylle
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafrenière
Roslovic - Wennberg - Kakko
Vesey - Goodrow - Rempe

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - Trouba

If Chytil can play:

Chytil - Wennberg - Kakko
Vesey - Goodrow - Rempe

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - Trouba

Cuylle/Chytil can change if it isn't working or Rangers need more scoring punch mid-way through the game.

• Applause 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Flynn said:

I'm not sure if I hate or like the extra day off. 

Like it. Definitely. The Canes have momentum and the Rangers could use the extra day for health purposes. I don't know what Fox is dealing with, but maybe some rest helps. Chytil could most likely benefit. A little more time for Wheeler to potentially become an option, because Roslovic has brought zero to the Zib line this series.

I think there's lineup moves that can be made here. The Rangers need a jolt.

Edited by BrooksBurner

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

The extra day off breaks any momentum CAR had, gives NYR that extra day away from the blowout, it'll be further from their minds.

Agreed. Though I wouldn’t say it completely breaks their momentum. Two in a row is two in a row, and going home where they’ve been strong.

But I think they’re gonna see the Rangers deliver their biggest punch of the series yet on Thursday.

Was driving home from a softball game last night, so listened to Kenny and Maloney until I lost the signal at the beginning of the 3rd. Walked into the house to find it 3-1 and it was just shit from then on.

Sometimes these guys need a jolt. They get going so well that they seem to assume that it's all going to happen by itself - 'cuz they're just sooo good that that don't have to do the hard stuff like win board battles, clear out the front of the net, or move their fucking feet. That's understandable because the hard stuff is, well, hard. And painful. And draining. But nobody wins in the Playoffs without it.

I would have thought that the Devils series was an enduring jolt, but apparently not sufficient. Hopefully last night was enough of a  refresher to remind them what failure feels like, while they still have time to turn it back around.

• Like 1

If Chytil can play and they don’t want him to play center I would put him on RW with Mika.  Move Roslovic to 3C.  He mostly played center before the Rangers any way and they need more offense.  Let Wennberg center Goodrow and Vesey.  At least you know that 4th line with be defensively responsible.   Wennberg in my opinion is killing the 3rd line offensively.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Agreed. Though I wouldn’t say it completely breaks their momentum. Two in a row is two in a row, and going home where they’ve been strong.

But I think they’re gonna see the Rangers deliver their biggest punch of the series yet on Thursday.

I don't believe in game to game momentum. It puts the win further in their rear view, and the loss further in ours.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

If Chytil can't play:

Roslovic - Wennberg - Kakko
Vesey - Goodrow - Rempe

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - Trouba

If Chytil can play:

Chytil - Wennberg - Kakko
Vesey - Goodrow - Rempe

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - Trouba

Cuylle/Chytil can change if it isn't working or Rangers need more scoring punch mid-way through the game.

Yeah I think changing up the forward lines a smidge is the way to go. I'll throw another option in there if Chytil is ready to go:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Vesey/Wheeler

Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere

Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko

Goodrow - Wennberg - Rempe/Vesey

I know, I know, "fuck Wheeler", I get it, but listen, the Rangers potential issue here isn't a speed thing. It's an execution thing and it's being smart. Wheeler might be slower, but he's still a smart player.

Plus I'm trying to see if @The Dude is still alive or if the mods banned him.

• LMFAO 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't believe in game to game momentum. It puts the win further in their rear view, and the loss further in ours.

Certainly not in the postseason where each game is so meaningful and its own entity. 

35 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah I think changing up the forward lines a smidge is the way to go. I'll throw another option in there if Chytil is ready to go:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Vesey/Wheeler

Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere

Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko

Goodrow - Wennberg - Rempe/Vesey

I know, I know, "fuck Wheeler", I get it, but listen, the Rangers potential issue here isn't a speed thing. It's an execution thing and it's being smart. Wheeler might be slower, but he's still a smart player.

Plus I'm trying to see if @The Dude is still alive or if the mods banned him.

LMFAO he's not banned.

Wheeler might give them an emotional boost, but man, how long's that gonna last? He's a scary option on a top line that's already woeful with the puck.

what if the rangers ran out of gas like they did after game 2 vs the devils last year?  What if they just dont have it in them?

on paper this team is worse personnel wise than last year's.  The only real change is the coaching staff.  

Posted (edited)

They're not out of gas.  Half the top 6 is playing gentle non-contact hockey again and there is no way those guys can do that and beat the 'Canes.

Give Cuylle to Zib and CK.  Put Roslovic at C on the 3rd line if Chytil is playing and move Wennberg to the 4th line.

Odds still favor us winning the series but they won't if we go to game 7.

Edited by Br4d