• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes — Round Two General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

53 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah he’s gotta be hurt. He’s not playing badly, as in I don’t see him making big mistakes or anything, but he’s not driving plays or creating opportunities like he normally does with the puck on his stick. He also seems to be crankier/whinier than usual on the ice, and I think it might be related.

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah he’s gotta be hurt. He’s not playing badly, as in I don’t see him making big mistakes or anything, but he’s not driving plays or creating opportunities like he normally does with the puck on his stick. He also seems to be crankier/whinier than usual on the ice, and I think it might be related.

He can't even turn. He's 100% hurt. If he isn't, they've got a world of problems with that player.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

He’s nursing something.

Its beyond obvious.

I don’t think it’s major or serious.

But it’s nagging or hampering him some.

The extra day helps him.

Also… someone needs to remind him that in the Game 7 disaster vs NJ last year, he was literally the worst player on the ice.

Norris trophy winners come to play in big games.

This MF’er needs to know that.

The issue with Fox is something I’ve said in prior posts when it comes with speed of the game. What makes him good is his high IQ and the methodical style he plays. But all of these teams in the playoffs are aggressive in nature and more aggressive than usual since the stakes are raised. He doesn’t have the opportunity to make those cute little plays he did in January against teams with bad PK’s or couldn’t defend the neutral zone. He needs to adjust, just like everyone, to the tempo of the playoffs. And you can like it, love it, hate it, whatever, the fact remains that he has had issues with that in the playoffs both this year and in years past. That’s not to say his playoff resume is total shit, or that he isn’t playing hurt right now or anything. He just needs to raise it up here, whether he is banged up or not. He needs to adjust.

8 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The issue with Fox is something I’ve said in prior posts when it comes with speed of the game. What makes him good is his high IQ and the methodical style he plays. But all of these teams in the playoffs are aggressive in nature and more aggressive than usual since the stakes are raised. He doesn’t have the opportunity to make those cute little plays he did in January against teams with bad PK’s or couldn’t defend the neutral zone. He needs to adjust, just like everyone, to the tempo of the playoffs. And you can like it, love it, hate it, whatever, the fact remains that he has had issues with that in the playoffs both this year and in years past. That’s not to say his playoff resume is total shit, or that he isn’t playing hurt right now or anything. He just needs to raise it up here, whether he is banged up or not. He needs to adjust.

The whole team has to make adjustments off that last game.

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I feel like the hockey IQ of this team fluctuates on a daily basis. lol

• LOL 1

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’ve said it in the past that he doesn’t seem like a playoff player. 

Then he started the playoffs this year and was feisty, engaged and was making plays.

i dunno if he got hurt, or the games just get too tight for him but there’s a noteable

difference the last few games. 

He’s such a hard guy to read sometimes 

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’ve said it in the past that he doesn’t seem like a playoff player. 

Then he started the playoffs this year and was feisty, engaged and was making plays.

i dunno if he got hurt, or the games just get too tight for him but there’s a noteable

difference the last few games. 

He’s such a hard guy to read sometimes 

He needs time to be effective, you don’t have time against the Canes

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Flynn said:

I think it was the knee on knee in the Washington series. He's been different since that play 

Are we sure it’s the injury and not the quality of opponent? Carolina gives you no time, like others have said. And Fox’s greatest asset is using his time wisely to try and make a play.

It ain’t working right now. And he needs to make adjustments. Badly.

Edited by RichieNextel305

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

The whole team has to make adjustments off that last game.

Oh for sure. It was a disaster. The whole team looked and played afraid. The structure wasn’t there. Guys looked tentative. And they tried to sit on a 1-goal lead against a team you shouldn’t sit on a 1-goal lead against.

20 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

He needs time to be effective, you don’t have time against the Canes

I think one of Fox's greatest abilities is being deceptive with the puck and body to create space and time for himself. Seems to me he's not as confident handling the puck. I think he hurt his knee pretty good in the last Caps game and is limited with some of the cuts and dancing around he can normally do. It's like telling a magician to perform with one eye.

Two years ago Fox had 2 goals and 8 points in the Carolina series, and 5 goals and 23 points in 21 playoff games. I don't follow this train of thought that he's not a playoff performer. That monumental fuck up in G7 last year against NJ is really imprinted into people's brains.

• Bullseye 1

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Two years ago Fox had 2 goals and 8 points in the Carolina series, and 5 goals and 23 points in 21 playoff games. I don't follow this train of thought that he's not a playoff performer. That monumental fuck up in G7 last year against NJ is really imprinted into people's brains.

Fox gave up, alongside almost everybody else, when the Rangers got down big in game 7 last year.  Watching your best player(s) skating at half-effort when the season is going down the drain is really memorable.

If he's really hurt right now Laviolette needs to sit him and put Jones in. 

34 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Are we sure it’s the injury and not the quality of opponent? Carolina gives you no time, like others have said. And Fox’s greatest asset is using his time wisely to try and make a play.

It ain’t working right now. And he needs to make adjustments. Badly.

Its definitely some sort of injury, you can tell when the puck gets dumped out of the zone on the PP he's skating at like half speed.  

Even with Carolina pressuring he's pretty good at making the quick pass or finding time, but if his leg is wonky, his first step to slide out of the way is slower.  

For the Rangers to break through on the PP, quick passes eventually gets Carolina out of position, that is all.  Rangers passes have been off for the most part, really not much of a difference between Games 1 and 2 on the PP and Games 3-5 for Carolina's PK.  

9 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Fox gave up, alongside almost everybody else, when the Rangers got down big in game 7 last year.  Watching your best player(s) skating at half-effort when the season is going down the drain is really memorable.

Not going to sit a Norris Trophy winner for a dude that has played 69 career games.  

For Fox to be scratched he'd have to have surgery.  A hurt Fox is infinitely better than Zac Jones.  

All it takes is a couple of slick moves on the PP lead to a goal and all will be fine.  

Herein lies the problem though to get PPs, Rangers have to be engaged and force the Canes to take penalties so they have more opportunities for Fox and co to produce.

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

Fox at whatever percentage he’s playing at is better than Jones. He’s got the most TOI on the team in the playoffs and in this series.

8 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Not going to sit a Norris Trophy winner for a dude that has played 69 career games.  

For Fox to be scratched he'd have to have surgery.  A hurt Fox is infinitely better than Zac Jones.  

All it takes is a couple of slick moves on the PP lead to a goal and all will be fine.  

Herein lies the problem though to get PPs, Rangers have to be engaged and force the Canes to take penalties so they have more opportunities for Fox and co to produce.

It's going to take a lot more than just some slick moves to get a PPG at this point. It's been shutdown for 3 straight games. What is it, 0 for 8 or 9 over that stretch?

The PP's been getting outworked by their PK, as they've really ramped it up. Meanwhile it looks like the #1 PP in particular has gotten pretty immobile, far too many cross ice passes getting intercepted, poor zone entries etc. Since that's been one of their key weapons all season, and likely something they're going to need to capitalize on in order to steal a Game 6, sure hope they come out looking a bit more energetic and sharper.