• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes — Round Two General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

As others have said, this team this season has responded well to games they have played like shit, which wasn’t often (outside of January). Have to hope that one is in the cards again and we end this tomorrow night in their barn.

• Like 1

realistically the two losses in a row came down to two bad periods (and the first period of game 4 i don't think we were THAT bad, just that Carolina converted on more than normal.

a 3-0 series lead gives you a cushion to have an off night. i don't think we were good in game 5 either but it really was just the third period. I think the team thought the series was over after we killed that penalty and had a lead in the third. probably just thought Igor had it for them. 

gonna be another tense game tomorrow but this group doesn't play poorly for extended stretches. Your top guys arent going to take over EVERY game. I fully expect a better performance for game 6 and to close it out. 

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Ugh, was hoping we wouldn't see the Miller/Trouba pairing again. Why the split, is there a metric I'm missing on the Miller/Schneider pairing? I didn't think Trouba was playing all that great, but I'm not a coach so I dunno.

The Jordan Staal play was a bad play. It was also one play. Miller-Schneider has been their best pairing. Taking a look at the opposition TOI to see if they've had favorable matchups, here's the lines with the most TOI minutes against:

Lindgren-Fox: Teravainen-Staal-Jarvis 38 min

Miller-Schneider: Guentzl-Aho-Svech 43 min

Gus-Trouba: Martinook-Drury-Necas 32-36 min

To say I'm perplexed by the Trouba/Schneider swap is an understatement given that it seems Lavi has been matching up Miller-Schneider against their best. Me no get it 🤷‍♂️

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

5v5 xGF% per NST:

Miller - 52.29

Schneider - 48.78

Gus - 48.16

Trouba - 45.95

Fox - 45.40

Lindgren - 34.90

In my view, the wrong pairings got switched. Just had to swap Lindgren and Gus.

Lindgren is struggling because Fox can't carry his weight (for whatever reason). Giving him a bigger anchor isn't the answer.

They're stuck with what they got unless they decide to scratch Trouba or Gus or both - but the options on the other side aren't great either.

22 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The Jordan Staal play was a bad play. It was also one play. Miller-Schneider has been their best pairing. Taking a look at the opposition TOI to see if they've had favorable matchups, here's the lines with the most TOI minutes against:

Lindgren-Fox: Teravainen-Staal-Jarvis 38 min

Miller-Schneider: Guentzl-Aho-Svech 43 min

Gus-Trouba: Martinook-Drury-Necas 32-36 min

To say I'm perplexed by the Trouba/Schneider swap is an understatement given that it seems Lavi has been matching up Miller-Schneider against their best. Me no get it 🤷‍♂️

I guess he’s trying to help our worst two D men, rather than having them paired up?

As much as seeing Miller/Trouba making me want to vomit right now, i have faith in Lavi that he knows what he's doing.  Maybe this is his message to his Captain to take charge and be the one that makes a statement on the ice and everyone else follow his lead.  Hopefully its not a shitty lead. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Lindgren is struggling because Fox can't carry his weight (for whatever reason). Giving him a bigger anchor isn't the answer.

They're stuck with what they got unless they decide to scratch Trouba or Gus or both - but the options on the other side aren't great either.

I don’t view Gus as an anchor and I don’t understand the hate he gets on here. His strength is pushing some offense and he can’t do that playing in his own end with Trouba.

Alternatively, I would have also rather done Miller-Fox and Gus-Schneider, but in either case Lindgren-Trouba would be the sheltered 3rd pairing.

Edited by BrooksBurner

This is a typical Rangers move. Miller-Schneider has been the best pairing for quite some time, but one bad game is enough to return the only captain of the entire league who you wish gets as little ice time as possible to the second pairing. 

• Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Out of Canes practice:

I still doubt he plays in this series. Today was his first day on the ice and he was skating with the extras. Obviously something to keep an eye on.

Good chance you see him play if this goes to 7. Another reason to come out strong and end this shit tomorrow. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Were all just pissed because they've sucked for 2 games now. We are allowed to vent when things don't go right. So long as we keep the big picture in mind.

And big picture is that, as other have pointed out here, they have been good at bouncing back after bad games/stretches so I have no doubt they'll take this series.... hopefully tomorrow. 

Carolina isnt a bad team.. they have pushed and the rangers havent broken until recently in this series. Now its the Rangers turn to push back.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Believe 1

24 minutes ago, siddious said:

Were all just pissed because they've sucked for 2 games now. We are allowed to vent when things don't go right. So long as we keep the big picture in mind.

And big picture is that, as other have pointed out here, they have been good at bouncing back after bad games/stretches so I have no doubt they'll take this series.... hopefully tomorrow. 

Carolina isnt a bad team.. they have pushed and the rangers havent broken until recently in this series. Now its the Rangers turn to push back.

Thank you!!   ....and you're the voice of reason Pete! 

We're winning this, boys.  I didn't think we'd go 16-0 either.  There were bound to be a few adversity checks along the way.

30 minutes ago, siddious said:

They haven't sucked for 2 games though, have they? They had a bad period in Game 4 and blew the doors off Carolina the rest of the game. They sucked in Game 5. They've been very good all playoffs, otherwise.

People are acting like G5 is standard. It was a very out-of-character game for this team. And that's what's so shocking and making people irritated.

• Keeps it 100 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

They haven't sucked for 2 games though, have they? They had a bad period in Game 4 and blew the doors off Carolina the rest of the game. They sucked in Game 5. They've been very good all playoffs, otherwise.

People are acting like G5 is standard. It was a very out-of-character game for this team. And that's what's so shocking and making people irritated.

We are saying the same thing but disagreeing on game 4 which I thought they looked pretty bad for at least 2 periods before turning it on.

1 minute ago, siddious said:

We are saying the same thing but disagreeing on game 4 which I thought they looked pretty bad for at least 2 periods before turning it on.

I don't see how, they won the period and had enough momentum to tie it early in the 3rd, whatever the case may be I'm not going to let a couple of bad periods overshadow the solid play. 

• Bullseye 1