• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes — Round Two General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

5 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Not sure if I read it correctly but a buyout of Trouba costs 2M a season for 4 years?

Might be worth considering.  

I'm pretty sure that's right but I'm also pretty sure they're not going to buy out the guy they named Captain a season ago and throws helmets ya know?

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm pretty sure that's right but I'm also pretty sure they're not going to buy out the guy they named Captain a season ago and throws helmets ya know?

Pretty sure they won’t but they should at least think about it.   He wouldn’t look so bad if they actually used him like a 3rd pair defenseman who kills penalties.  

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

Trade him to one of the teams not on his list half retained.  Get back whatever we can in the trade.  Move on.  He has to give us 17 options to move him next season and it's almost certain that one of those teams would like a cheap Jacob Trouba.

51 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Kreider for a couple of seasons and then Laf.

Kreider would be a terrible captain. He half asses on the ice. Plus, if he was captain material he would’ve been made captain long time ago. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

Kreider would be a terrible captain. He half asses on the ice. Plus, if he was captain material he would’ve been made captain long time ago. 

Kreider is the Rangers leader on the ice when the playoffs start.  He's been that way for 3 years now.

I think he's the most suitable Captain candidate when Trouba is gone.

Notice who is always standing by the gate as the Rangers exit the ice after a game.

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

Kreider is the Rangers leader on the ice when the playoffs start.  He's been that way for 3 years now.

Notice who is always standing by the gate as the Rangers exit the ice after a game.

I'm not talking about Kreider specifically, But in all honesty what does this have to do with anything? Being the last one to leave the ice makes you a leader? Based on what?

It's also usually CK, Zib, and Tro.

I'd give Tro the C, TBH. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rangers said:

No one wants Trouba, you have to send a draft pick also

At $4M/2 yrs I think there are probably several teams that would find Trouba an interesting option.

Obviously it depends on his list but he's probably an interesting pickup for teams that are trying to make the transition out of a build and into actual contention.  No guarantee that he would help them do that but they'd get tougher to play against as soon as he arrived.

BTW, this is exactly what happened for the Rangers when we acquired Trouba.

Edited by Br4d

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Skjei is a free agent this summer, I'm guessing that's what the comment was about. 

Unfortunately there's really no way to get rid of Trouba. 

This

6 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Ck has been with the Rangers for 12 years. If they wanted to make him a captain, he would’ve been by now. 
And i think he leaves the ice last because he’s been here the longest. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I'm not talking about Kreider specifically, But in all honesty what does this have to do with anything? Being the last one to leave the ice makes you a leader? Based on what?

It's also usually CK, Zib, and Tro.

I'd give Tro the C, TBH. 

Who else puts their glove up on their stick and yucks it up with Rempe, I'll wait......

I would take Tro over Trouba in a heartbeat. 

15 minutes ago, Beeski said:

sorry if this is a re-post:

"Jacob Trouba was the only Ranger defenseman on the ice for all three of Carolina’s even-strength goals Saturday, and has been on for seven straight Carolina goals. "

https://nypost.com/2024/05/12/sports/rangers-hoping-filip-chytil-can-return-for-game-5-after-illness/

I’d love to bench him but I don’t feel confident in Zac jones filling that role 

Wonder what that looked like at MSG. That feels like BrindAmour getting a matchup to me, and in spite of Gus-Trouba not passing the eye test, they were (prior to game 3) like, the most solid D-pairing in the playoffs for the fancystats.

I'd bet Laviolette was getting his matchups right until he didn't have control of them in Carolina.

2 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Wonder what that looked like at MSG. That feels like BrindAmour getting a matchup to me, and in spite of Gus-Trouba not passing the eye test, they were (prior to game 3) like, the most solid D-pairing in the playoffs for the fancystats.

I'd bet Laviolette was getting his matchups right until he didn't have control of them in Carolina.

They had an atrocious game together.

Otherwise they’ve been solid.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I knew they hadn't been on for a goal against until game 3 against Carolina... However I'm not exactly sure that what you're saying about them being the best pair all playoffs according to the analytics...

That said, it doesn't matter what they were last week. It only matters what they are today, and today they are a liability. I know they aren't going to sit Trouba, But Jones' mobility and ability to beat the forecheck needs to be considered at this point as an upgrade on Gus. Gus has been shaky at best since he returned from his injury. 

I'm hoping Chytil is ready or Rempe dresses and is able to get the crowd into it. Frankly I think the home crowd seeing Chytil will have the same effect, so either one of them will do fine. 

Edited by Pete

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

I knew they hadn't been on for a goal against until game 3 against Carolina... However I'm not exactly sure that what you're saying about them being the best pair all playoffs according to the analytics...

That said, it doesn't matter what they were last week. It only matters what they are today, and today they are a liability. I know they aren't going to sit Trouba, But Jones' mobility and ability to beat the forecheck needs to be considered at this point as an upgrade on Gus. Gus has been shaky at best since he returned from his injury. 

I'm hoping Chytil is ready or Rempe dresses and is able to get the crowd into it. Frankly I think the home crowd seeing Chytil will have the same effect, so either one of them will do fine. 

I guess this was before game 2, but they were doing a real good job shutting teams down here. 1.15 xga/60 is rock solid, and given that they've been on the ice for 7GA since (possibly more since I think this is before game 2), you have to wonder if BrindAmour is playing the matchups well at home.

Either way, I can't/won't dispute that they were not good in Carolina. Heck, "not good" covers them too much - they were atrocious, and getting them back to steady or flipping Jones in for Gus has to be a top priority.

Also, if Chytil plays tonight, the Garden better cheer like mad every time the puck touches his stick because that kid fucking deserves to be supported after all he went through.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Pete said:

If the home crowd needs either one of them to get into it, then the MSG has the wrong crowd. With that said...

I'd be surprised, if Chytil starts, even if I'd like to see him in the starting line up. The crowd favorite Rampe likely will start, even if that may turn out to be the wrong move by Lavi....

Edited by Cr00zng

Posted (edited)

Already covered this in the GDT, but Trouba was on for 3 ES goals in G4 because Goodrow's awful turnover and the Panarin line decided not to play any defense that game. The Panarin line being on ice for a boatload of goals against is not anything new - they just usually offset it offensively + some. If anything, my suspicion would be that Rod got some favorable matchups against that line with last change. The Trouba tweet floating around is just coincidental and lacks context. Again, Trouba deserved to get blasted for a few game 2 mistakes, and in general because he's failed to live up to anything close to his contract, but this is blaming a guy who everyone wants to blame rather than someone who is deserving of the blame for a loss.

Edited by BrooksBurner

1 minute ago, Cr00zng said:

If the home crowd needs either one of them to get into it, then the MSG has the wrong crowd. With that said...

I'd be surprised, if Chytil starts, even if I'd like to see him in the starting line up. The crowd favorite Rampe likely will start, even if that may turn out to be the wrong move by Lavi....

There are points in the game where momentum will shift and the crowd will be at a lull. This happens everywhere. I don't understand why you're trying to knock the crowd, but whatever.