• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Draft Lottery

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's not bat shit to think 21 year old Bedard will be starting the curve to begin surpassing McDavid in 3 years. 

For me to call Bedard the best player in the league he needs to win multiple scoring titles.  That's not happening in 3 years.

McDavid won 5 of the last 7 and the two years he didn't win he was 2nd.

Edited by Long live the King

15 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Yea.  Totally a shame that covid cut two of those years short and you're gonna nit pick another over 123 points in 80 games.  

And the other years? It's not nitpicking. It's called looking at an entire career. He was in the league for 4 years before Covid. Rookie season injuries. Then 100, 108, 116. Progressing but still. You don't ignore results in totality. 

and besdies, you're moving the entire argument. I don't care if he paced 125 points at 25 years old. I countered your comment that we should dismiss 3 years into the future because you seem to think you can read into the future of a guy approaching 30 when there are other guys, such as a MacKinnon who's months older that outperformed McD this year. 

it's quite possible that McD won't be the best player in the league for the 2027/28 season. I'm not sure how that can be proven as incorrect in 2024. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

That wasn't the initial conversation. Was just a normal that his gap is closing It was whether he will be in 3 years. I'm not sure how anyone can know that given he will be 30 

I very much doubt that McDavid will still be McJesus at 30 years of age.  Physiology is mostly fixed over time and 1/10 of your lifespan to date is a large interval for negative physiological factors to set in.

11 minutes ago, Keirik said:

And the other years? It's not nitpicking. It's called looking at an entire career. He was in the league for 4 years before Covid. Rookie season injuries. Then 100, 108, 116. Progressing but still. You don't ignore results in totality. 

and besdies, you're moving the entire argument. I don't care if he paced 125 points at 25 years old. I countered your comment that we should dismiss 3 years into the future because you seem to think you can read into the future of a guy approaching 30 when there are other guys, such as a MacKinnon who's months older that outperformed McD this year. 

it's quite possible that McD won't be the best player in the league for the 2027/28 season. I'm not sure how that can be proven as incorrect in 2024. 

Those 100 and 108 point seasons both won him the scoring title.

Kucherov just had a career year at 30.  Panarin at 32.  It's more crazy to think McDavid will stop scoring than it is to think he'll keep this pace for 3 more years.

28 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

For me to call Bedard the best player in the league he needs to win multiple scoring titles.  That's not happening in 3 years.

McDavid won 5 of the last 7 and the two years he didn't win he was 2nd.

I don't disagree, but my point was it's not bat shit to think 21 year old Bedard will be starting the curve to begin surpassing McDavid in 3 years. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't disagree, but my point was it's not bat shit to think 21 year old Bedard will be starting the curve to begin surpassing McDavid in 3 years. 

Right.  He'll be up there, but this whole debate started with me pushing back on "garunteed best player in the league within 3 years."

11 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Right.  He'll be up there, but this whole debate started with me pushing back on "garunteed best player in the league within 3 years."

Yeah, I was trying to reel that idea back in into something more palatable. 

At some point you would hope that players coming into the league for three or four years and turning 21 or 22 would be better than players turning 30 or 31... That said, I don't know why Bedard doesn't "deserve" another top draft pick riding shotgun. What did he ever do to anybody? 

I prefer not to see that pick go to Columbus which has been completely inept in terms of how to manage talent for the last decade, and they don't even have a GM so who knows what the fuck they're going to do. 

24 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Those 100 and 108 point seasons both won him the scoring title.

Kucherov just had a career year at 30.  Panarin at 32.  It's more crazy to think McDavid will stop scoring than it is to think he'll keep this pace for 3 more years.

Correct. By 8 points one year (with Kucherov 8 points behind) and 11 points another year (with Crosby playing 7 less games) but I'm still not understanding how any of this means he will remain the best in the game for the 27/28 season? In terms of production, there are arguments in the past and present that he's more of a 1/1a with some other guys. There are years in his past where he absolutely is in another class as well. But none of that guarantees anything 3 years from now. 

it's a fun argument to have but I'm not betting against Father Time at some point. Whether the best is Bedard? Who knows. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2024 at 12:48 PM, Pete said:

Connor McDavid turned Hyman into a 50G player. 

The most miraculous feat since Panarin turned Ryan Strome into a 21 goal player.

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 2