• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Draft Lottery

I'd be ok with Chicago getting the #1 overall.  They've been pretty pathetic recently and they're an original 6 team.

I think it's bad for the NHL when the one of the original 6 teams is pathetic for any extended period.  

5 hours ago, Br4d said:

I'd be ok with Chicago getting the #1 overall.  They've been pretty pathetic recently and they're an original 6 team.

I think it's bad for the NHL when the one of the original 6 teams is pathetic for any extended period.  

They have the guaranteed best player in the game within the next 3 years....I don't think Bedard deserves another #1 OA.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Br4d said:

They have Bedard to build around, they’re still going to end up with a really good player.   Like @jsm7302 said, let one of those 3 teams get it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

A case you would lose 

Why? He's by no means not in the conversation and a top player, but he was third in points and 35th or so in goals. He isn't a lock as the top these days in terms of actual production. Talent wise? Different story I guess, but in 3 years at 30? It's not out of the realm for a little regression considering other guys are right there with him right now. 

11 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Best player in the league doesn't change year to year.  He has 140 more points than the next closest guy since he came into the league.  

Right. No one said it changes year to year. You're asking if McDavid will be retired in 3 years as if it's some lock that at 30, he will remain the best player in the league 3 years into the future while the gap is already closing in terms of performance. 

im not sure any of us know exactly what McDavid will be at 30 years old and if anyone will overtake him. 

41 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Right. No one said it changes year to year. You're asking if McDavid will be retired in 3 years as if it's some lock that at 30, he will remain the best player in the league 3 years into the future while the gap is already closing in terms of performance. 

im not sure any of us know exactly what McDavid will be at 30 years old and if anyone will overtake him. 

The gap isn't closing and the two guys that managed to match him this year are older than he is.

31 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

The gap isn't closing and the two guys that managed to match him this year are older than he is.

How does that equate to a gap not closing? McDavid was outscored in points and goals. The fact he is younger and still outscored doesn't bode well for him, not for the "older" guys that are 8 months and 2 years older. And they didn't "match" McDavid. They outscored him. Gap closing literally means that. In terms of production. He isn't blowing away the league. It doesn't mean he's not still all worldly and none of this is evidence that he's improving on production 3 years down the road when he hits 30. 

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Having the most points doesn't make you the best player. Other factors come into play, as does supporting cast. 

Connor McDavid turned Hyman into a 50G player. 

MacKinnon gets to play with Makar and Raantanen and Kuch with Point and Hedman/Sergachev, etc...

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

How does that equate to a gap not closing? McDavid was outscored in points and goals. The fact he is younger and still outscored doesn't bode well for him, not for the "older" guys that are 8 months and 2 years older. And they didn't "match" McDavid. They outscored him. Gap closing literally means that. In terms of production. He isn't blowing away the league. It doesn't mean he's not still all worldly and none of this is evidence that he's improving on production 3 years down the road when he hits 30. 

This has nothing to do with the best player in the league.  McDavid does it every year.  He won the scoring title 5 of 9 years he's been in the league.  A one off year for someone else doesn't make the they best player in the league.  McDaivd also missed 6 games which cost him about 10 points off his total.

59 minutes ago, Pete said:

Having the most points doesn't make you the best player. Other factors come into play, as does supporting cast. 

Connor McDavid turned Hyman into a 50G player. 

MacKinnon gets to play with Makar and Raantanen and Kuch with Point and Hedman/Sergachev, etc...

26 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

This has nothing to do with the best player in the league.  McDavid does it every year.  He won the scoring title 5 of 9 years he's been in the league.  A one off year for someone else doesn't make the they best player in the league.  McDaivd also missed 6 games which cost him about 10 points off his total.

Also presumably we all have eyes and eye sight right? Mcdavid looks like Superman out there. There’s not a single player that looks faster or more capable just by the eye test. 

6 minutes ago, siddious said:

Also presumably we all have eyes and eye sight right? Mcdavid looks like Superman out there. There’s not a single player that looks faster or more capable just by the eye test. 

MacKinnon the only one close in terms of speed and the ability to apply skills at those speeds. 

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

MacKinnon the only one close in terms of speed and the ability to apply skills at those speeds. 

Yea and even he doesn’t quite have that extra gear that mcdavid does. But I agree it’s close.

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

But none of what you're saying has any validity to say he will be doing this the same in 3 years. He didn't lead the league this year. Give him 10 points and he still doesn't lead the league. I don't think you can have it both ways. You can't ignore stats in one year, then point to them in another. Last year he dominated. The year before that he was less dominant. He's currently thr best player in my mind, but he's not dominating the league in a way others aren't as well. Plus we all know age plays can play a factor. 

We can resume this conversation in 3 years when it's appropriate. I just don't know how you can just know what he will look like at 30 and use evidence in his mid 20s to justify it. 

26 minutes ago, Br4d said:

McDavid is the best player in the NHL.

I would put Makar and McKinnon on the next rung.

That wasn't the initial conversation. Was just a normal that his gap is closing It was whether he will be in 3 years. I'm not sure how anyone can know that given he will be 30 

12 minutes ago, Keirik said:

But none of what you're saying has any validity to say he will be doing this the same in 3 years. He didn't lead the league this year. Give him 10 points and he still doesn't lead the league. I don't think you can have it both ways. You can't ignore stats in one year, then point to them in another. Last year he dominated. The year before that he was less dominant. He's currently thr best player in my mind, but he's not dominating the league in a way others aren't as well. Plus we all know age plays can play a factor. 

We can resume this conversation in 3 years when it's appropriate. I just don't know how you can just know what he will look like at 30 and use evidence in his mid 20s to justify it. 

This is what I'm talking about.  That year, 2021-22, Gaudreau and Huberdeau were tied for 2nd behind him.  Are they in the convo for best player in the league? 

I can know what he'll look like at 30.  This isn't an average player.  He's going to keep scoring 125+ points per year well into his 30s.

5 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

This is what I'm talking about.  That year, 2021-22, Gaudreau and Huberdeau were tied for 2nd behind him.  Are they in the convo for best player in the league? 

I can know what he'll look like at 30.  This isn't an average player.  He's going to keep scoring 125+ points per year well into his 30s.

Of course not, but it's a point that it's not as if McD is in a league of his own. And add in perennial guys kine Kucherov and MacKinnon have really closed the gap and I'd say it's nuts to just sit here and assume 3 years down the road we see the exact same McD in an ever changing league, especially considering hes only twi e had 125 points in 9 years for a various number of reasons. 

4 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Of course not, but it's a point that it's not as if McD is in a league of his own. And add in perennial guys kine Kucherov and MacKinnon have really closed the gap and I'd say it's nuts to just sit here and assume 3 years down the road we see the exact same McD in an ever changing league, especially considering hes only twi e had 125 points in 9 years for a various number of reasons. 

His career pace is 125 points per 82 games.