• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

'That Was a Banger': Matt Rempe, Other Rangers Describe Line Brawl With Devils

"Those guys are my brothers," he said. "That wasn't planned or anything. It just kind of happened naturally. I think that was really special that they did that, as well. I knew that I was going to have to fight. It’s not a big deal − answer the bell type of thing. It happens, but for them to go to war with me was pretty dang special. … I love all those guys."

It turned into a galvanizing moment for the playoff-bound Rangers.

"I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a team-building exercise, in a sense" said captain Jacob Trouba, who was among the five Rangers' fighters and one of four who was then tossed from the game. "We're all in this thing together. He's not left out there on his own. We're all with him, every step of the way."

"MacDermid was like, ‘We’re going right now,'" Rempe recalled as they lined up for the opening faceoff. "I’m like, ‘Yeah, I know. I think there’s a reason why we’re starting.’ … It was wicked."

As the two hulking brawlers squared up with one another, the other Rangers on the ice − Trouba, Barclay Goodrow, K'Andre Miller and Jimmy Vesey − spontaneously found their own dancing partners.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/04/04/matt-rempe-other-rangers-describe-wicked-line-brawl-with-devils/73203644007/

• Like 1

Gotta think the players were not aware of the ejection rule. 

And not to nit pick, Rempe was sizing up MacDermid before the puck even dropped and before the Vesey fight started.  Is the drop of the gloves the official start of a fight?  Everyone knew Rempe and Macdermid was the main event and was happening. 

Rempe is a breathe of fresh air in honesty about his feelings and what he's encountering in his ride to being a Ranger fan favorite. 

Hopefully the NHL sees it that way too. He's not trash talking. He's not denying what he's done. He's just amped up to be in this situation, as it really came out of nowhere. 

I seriously don't give a flying fuck about the ejections!  I have NEVER seen a Rangers team that is this galvanized.  "We're all in this together", says it all.  But saying it is one thing...Fucking DOING IT sets a whole new precedence.

I absolutely love these guys, and I hope Rempe is going to be an even bigger force as this playoffs gets underway.

Edited by Ozzy
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

The Kid:

"I want to show to the coaching staff that I can be a really effective player in playoffs," said Rempe, who's appeared in 14 games so far but has only accumulated 76 minutes of total ice time. "I’ve just got to keep working every day. When I was out of the lineup, I’m working with the coaches on everything and just trying to try to get better.

"I want to be a good player. I don't want to just be known as a guy who just fights. I want to be known as a guy who's tough, but I want to be known as a guy who, ‘Wow, this guy is a very effective bottom-six forward who can skate, be really good checker, can be physical, be good defensively, maybe eventually be a penalty killer one day.' That's what I want to be."

Love it!

• Like 1
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, siddious said:

I fucking love this iteration of this team. 

Rempe coming up was huge. 

I believe! 

I'm praying he gets time in the playoffs. Just finishing checks all over the ice n screening the goaltender. The devastating hits he delivers will absolutely accumulate in a series and be a huge part of us grinding the opposing team into submission. 

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Gotta think the players were not aware of the ejection rule. 

And not to nit pick, Rempe was sizing up MacDermid before the puck even dropped and before the Vesey fight started.  Is the drop of the gloves the official start of a fight?  Everyone knew Rempe and Macdermid was the main event and was happening.

Rempe is a breathe of fresh air in honesty about his feelings and what he's encountering in his ride to being a Ranger fan favorite. 

Hopefully the NHL sees it that way too. He's not trash talking. He's not denying what he's done. He's just amped up to be in this situation, as it really came out of nowhere. 

No chance in hell they had a clue that was the case. If they did, neither D (for either club) would have fought.

And couldn't agree more re: fan favorite and the way Rempe speaks. It reminds me of the shit Erik Reitz was trying to tell the NY media after he was acquired, but Reitz sucked and had none of the intangible appeal of Rempe..

35 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The Kid:

"I want to show to the coaching staff that I can be a really effective player in playoffs," said Rempe, who's appeared in 14 games so far but has only accumulated 76 minutes of total ice time. "I’ve just got to keep working every day. When I was out of the lineup, I’m working with the coaches on everything and just trying to try to get better.

"I want to be a good player. I don't want to just be known as a guy who just fights. I want to be known as a guy who's tough, but I want to be known as a guy who, ‘Wow, this guy is a very effective bottom-six forward who can skate, be really good checker, can be physical, be good defensively, maybe eventually be a penalty killer one day.' That's what I want to be."

Love it!

Love this kid. His beaming smile and all out style of play, all the time, I think is contagious to the balance of the roster. Last night Panarin had a body check and a few attempts at critical times

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

No chance in hell they had a clue that was the case. If they did, neither D (for either club) would have fought.

And couldn't agree more re: fan favorite and the way Rempe speaks. It reminds me of the shit Erik Reitz was trying to tell the NY media after he was acquired, but Reitz sucked and had none of the intangible appeal of Rempe..

Lmao I barely remember the name,  so I don't remember what Reitz had said to the media. He indeed sucked though. Probably worse than Purinton. 

Kid has the best attitude. Love it. Especially after reading what @Ozzy posted. The desire to be better and to know his limitations. 

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Lmao I barely remember the name,  so I don't remember what Reitz had said to the media. He indeed sucked though. Probably worse than Purinton. 

Kid has the best attitude. Love it. Especially after reading what @Ozzy posted. The desire to be better and to know his limitations. 

I can't even find it. It was some remark after like his first or second game about how excited he was to get into the hatred and rivalry with the Islanders. He talked about how much he was looking forward to getting in there and mucking it up.

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

They're becoming a team. They're playing for each other. It's beautiful. 

The fact that it wasn't staged and the other four said, let's do what he has done for us since he got here, is such a team building moment. Lavi has to be pumped with the way they have grown together; I know we are!!

Just now, jsm7302 said:

The fact that it wasn't staged and the other four said, let's do what he has done for us since he got here, is such a team building moment. Lavi has to be pumped with the way they have grown together; I know we are!!

It was definitely staged and planned, but the sentiment I agree with.