• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trocheck Appreciation Thread

18 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Actually Laf is having a career year because of Trocheck!  Let me check the DVR

NHL Network did a great breakdown on what Lafreniere is doing g differently, and it's mostly about his confidence and willingness to hold onto the puck and make plays. That wasn't there in prior years. He would make weak plays and thoughtless dump ins. Maybe some of it is Panarin, hard to prove.

What's clear is that he's having the table set for him by Panarin in ways that it wasn't by Chytil, so there are definitely more offensive opportunities and space playing with an MVP calibre center vs Chytil.

Edited by Pete

I've noticed this year that Laff is entering the offensive zone last, more often than not, which gives him time to do what he does best, and that's look for a play or a shot to the net front.  He's been able to get time and space to create, which is his strong suit.

Last season he seemed to be carrying the puck in first and getting swarmed by defenders that took advantage of his not knowing, or having any options other than a weak forced pass, or low percentage shot towards the net. 

I dunno, just what I see this year as opposed to last.  His skating is also 100X better, and his awareness also looks like he knows where he's going with his plays.  It's no secret I love this kid, but I'm really glad to see he's broken out of the "bust" category in spades.  He's definitely not!

Matter of fact, I'll go as far to say we may be looking at the next candidate to wear the "C" for this team in the future.

Edited by Ozzy

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I've noticed this year that Laff is entering the offensive zone last, more often than not, which gives him time to do what he does best, and that's look for a play or a shot to the net front.  He's been able to get time and space to create, which is his strong suit.

Last season he seemed to be carrying the puck in first and getting swarmed by defenders that took advantage of his not knowing, or having any options other than a weak forced pass, or low percentage shot towards the net. 

I dunno, just what I see this year as opposed to last.  His skating is also 100X better, and his awareness also looks like he knows where he's going with his plays.  It's no secret I love this kid, but I'm really glad to see he's broken out of the "bust" category in spades.  He's definitely not!

Matter of fact, I'll go as far to say we may be looking at the next candidate to wear the "C" for this team in the future.

Let's not get carried away here, boss.

19 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

He’s become very good and only getting better.

Did you see what I bolded? There's no indication of any leadership ability. He's curt with the media, when he talks to them. That doesn't scream "letter" to me.

Fox is probably next man up for the C. 

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

Did you see what I bolded? There's no indication of any leadership ability. He's curt with the media, when he talks to them. That doesn't scream "letter" to me.

Fox is probably right.  I can see Cuylle with an "A" too!

12 hours ago, Keirik said:

Maybe, but I'm not sure of how much of that is accurate around the team or just what we say on the internet. It was a new coach so there really wasn't anything set in stone as to where people are playing. Trocheck just likely was orginally going to be more of a checking role because we certainly know Chyt can't do that. It's not because Laviolette knew everything in the world about his players going into game 1 and concreted roles. 

His cap hit is 5.6m. He put up 64 points last year, was 56% from the dot, 182 hits, 17 pp points, 13 even strength goals, etc. That was even better than what he did his UFA year with Carolina. That's why his cap hit wasn't even higher. Copp signed for nearly the same deal as a mid 50s point player split between WPG and NYR.  

if he had the type of year this year when he was going into his UFA period with Carolina, he would have demanded somewhere near 7m or so for a cap hit, especially considering he's had a couple of seasons where he's flirted with being a point per game player and had a 74 point season in his folder already. He's overachieving somewhat now , but he was always worth 5.6m for the first few years of his deal. 

I don't think we are disagreeing  here. But I think Laviolette had a certain type of player that he wanted for the 3rd line.

With how he's pretty much stuck with mostly the same lineup throughout the season,  it's not too far off to think that if Chytil didn't die this season, Laviolette would have kept things intact or kept the mindset of needing a player like Trocheck on the 3rd line and Chytil with Panarin. But, we'll never know. 

Like I said,  I didn’t mind his contract. I thought it was pretty good. Some had issues with the term and the thought of him already being put on the 3rd line. I thought it was a really good fit and no matter where he wound up in the lineup in the next 3-4 years, it was very manageable and would still look good in his later years as the cap would rise.  He may have come to NY in good faith on a cheaper deal,  because of his history with Gallant. But with how they were yelling at each other in the post season last year, mayyyybe not. 

I get that his boxcar stats from last season aren't terrible. But he really didn't click with Panarin. They were a mess. Trocheck was really chucking some awful bombs at really bad times.  He wasn't bad. He just wasn't bringing what some of us expected. 

I actually don't think he's over achieving. I think this is what you get from this type of player from this coach.  It's why I wanted the type of players I wanted at the deadline. Players who play more like Trocheck........ Annoying, in your face, gutsy, North/South, multi function. 

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't think we are disagreeing  here. But I think Laviolette had a certain type of player that he wanted for the 3rd line.

With how he's pretty much stuck with mostly the same lineup throughout the season,  it's not too far off to think that if Chytil didn't die this season, Laviolette would have kept things intact or kept the mindset of needing a player like Trocheck on the 3rd line and Chytil with Panarin. But, we'll never know. 

Like I said,  I didn’t mind his contract. I thought it was pretty good. Some had issues with the term and the thought of him already being put on the 3rd line. I thought it was a really good fit and no matter where he wound up in the lineup in the next 3-4 years, it was very manageable and would still look good in his later years as the cap would rise.  He may have come to NY in good faith on a cheaper deal,  because of his history with Gallant. But with how they were yelling at each other in the post season last year, mayyyybe not. 

I get that his boxcar stats from last season aren't terrible. But he really didn't click with Panarin. They were a mess. Trocheck was really chucking some awful bombs at really bad times.  He wasn't bad. He just wasn't bringing what some of us expected. 

I actually don't think he's over achieving. I think this is what you get from this type of player from this coach.  It's why I wanted the type of players I wanted at the deadline. Players who play more like Trocheck........ Annoying, in your face, gutsy, North/South, multi function. 

I wanted him too, and guys like him, but I'd definitely say he is out performing his deal. He currently has 71 points with a realistic chance for 75-80 points in the last 10 games. For 5 and a half million, signed as a UFA, he is a steal for what he is currently bringing, especially when you think of some of the UFA comparables when he signed. Chucker or not, it's kind of irrelevant. He still contributed a heck of a lot all around the ice besdies just points. He did that last year too. He wasn't what he is today, but boxcar or not, he wasn't horrible at all. What he is doing now is just flirting with what you'd expect from a top center. Not elite top center, but top center nonetheless.

On 3/26/2024 at 11:11 AM, Ozzy said:

Laf is a trash collector in front of the net.  He's always been this going back to junior and international play.  Both of his goals last night were vintage stuff from him.

The thing that has me wondering right now is how he's managed to get so few assists on the Panarin line.  He should have about 40-45 assists right now and those just aren't in the record.

If he stays with Panarin I expect him to have 70+ points next season with 40+ assists.

8 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Laf is a trash collector in front of the net.  He's always been this going back to junior and international play.  Both of his goals last night were vintage stuff from him.

The thing that has me wondering right now is how he's managed to get so few assists on the Panarin line.  He should have about 40-45 assists right now and those just aren't in the record.

If he stays with Panarin I expect him to have 70+ points next season with 40+ assists.

He’d have 15 more points if he got PP time on unit 1. At least. 

10 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Laf plays 5v5 and very little PP. 

So, with that, 5v5 assist leaders:

McUnicorn 49

Kucherov 39

MacKinnon 37

Draisaitl 33

Trocheck 28

Panarin 23

Lafreniere 19

I would taper the expectations.

And another round of applause to Trocheck for clearly doing elite work to compliment Panarin’s “shoot a lot” approach this year.

• Bullseye 1

23 hours ago, Pete said:

I did.

He’s not Captain material.

At least not now 

• Keeps it 100 1