• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trocheck Appreciation Thread

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Sure. Just like he was "always a great signing" as he was mediocre at best last season. 🙄

Yup. He always was a great signing in my opinion. We got a better, tougher, hitting, shot blocking, more in your face player thatll drag teammates into the fight, version of Strome. Plus, its a center that can win a face-off that already showed to have a 70 point season in him well before he met Panarin. 

Doesn't mean Strome wasn't good here. Just he wasn't as good as Trocheck has been, even with his "mediocre" season last year.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Yup. He always was a great signing in my opinion. We got a better, tougher, hitting, shot blocking, more in your face player thatll drag teammates into the fight, version of Strome. Plus, its a center that can win a face-off that already showed to have a 70 point season in him well before he met Panarin. 

Doesn't mean Strome wasn't good here. Just he wasn't as good as Trocheck has been, even with his "mediocre" season last year.

Who said anything about Strome?

Trocheck looked like hot garbage at many points last season with absolutely zero chemistry with Panarin. So bad that the original plan was for Chytil to center the 2nd line... Certainly not what they envisioned when they signed him. 

So...I appreciate him for what he's done this season, but I'm not going to participate in the revisionist history that was "it was always a good signing". That's the very definition of hindsight. This contract did not look good a year ago today, and it might not look good a year from now or two. 

He's on a heater. We could just leave it at that and ride the production. 

Edited by Pete

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Who said anything about Strome?

Trocheck looked like hot garbage at many points last season with absolutely zero chemistry with Panarin. So bad that the original plan was for Chytil to center the 2nd line... Certainly not what they envisioned when they signed him. 

So...I appreciate him for what he's done this season, but I'm not going to participate in the revisionist history that was "it was always a good signing". That's the very definition of hindsight. This contract did not look good a year ago today, and it might not look good a year from now or two. 

He's on a heater. We could just leave it at that and ride the production. 

I said something about Strome. 

Panarin has looked like hot garbage on many occasions in his stint here before this year. Igor has looked like hot garbage at times. Kreider, Mika, etc.  Everyone looks like hot garbage at times. Still doesn't change that he finished with 64 points in his first season here and even better this season to finish 4th on the team. He still finished 2nd on the team in hits, 2nd on pp goals, 3rd in blocks among forwards, etc. Chytil wasn't started at 2c because "trocheck was hot garbage last year." It's a new coach and Chtyil was looked at as having a very high ceiling. What he did last year bears no meaning on a new coach. 

There is no "very definition of hindsight" coming from me here. I literally said the exact same thing the day he was signed. He's not on a heater. He's pacing what he did previously in his career. He's not just suddenly good in faceoffs, he's not just suddenly someone that gets in your face and drags people into the fight, he's not just suddenly blocking shots and hitting people. We could just discuss how some of us thought it was always a good signing and appreciate how good of a deal he's on for what he brings. His contract looked just fine last year.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I said something about Strome. 

Panarin has looked like hot garbage on many occasions in his stint here before this year. Igor has looked like hot garbage at times. Kreider, Mika, etc.  Everyone looks like hot garbage at times. Still doesn't change that he finished with 64 points in his first season here and even better this season to finish 4th on the team. He still finished 2nd on the team in hits, 2nd on pp goals, 3rd in blocks among forwards, etc. Chytil wasn't started at 2c because "trocheck was hot garbage last year." It's a new coach and Chtyil was looked at as having a very high ceiling. What he did last year bears no meaning on a new coach. 

There is no "very definition of hindsight" coming from me here. I literally said the exact same thing the day he was signed. He's not on a heater. He's pacing what he did previously in his career. He's not just suddenly good in faceoffs, he's not just suddenly someone that gets in your face and drags people into the fight, he's not just suddenly blocking shots and hitting people. We could just discuss how some of us thought it was always a good signing and appreciate how good of a deal he's on for what he brings. His contract looked just fine last year.

Well, Strome has nothing to do with it so not sure why he's being brought into it.

Tro hit 75 points one time. He's a high 50's low 60's point getter. He's not pacing what he "always has". He most certainly is on a career high in faceoff's although he gets all the credit for that. 

But He's certainly on a heater, and it certainly being driven by Panarin, who I certainly chuckled at "looking like hot garbage". 

Edited by Pete

Trocheck was good last year. Worth the contract AAV, but left a question if he’d be worth the length of it. This year he’s been great and worth significantly more than the contract AAV, which alleviates some concern about the contract length.

As great as Panarin has been, I think anyone watching the games sees Trocheck (and Laf) are doing more than just riding coattails. I think Panarin can thank them for the helping hand in achieving a career year.

• Keeps it 100 1

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well, Strome has nothing to do with it so not sure why he's being brought into it.

Tro hit 75 points one time. He's a high 50's low 60's point getter. He's not pacing what he "always has". He most certainly is on a career high in faceoff's although he gets all the credit for that. 

But He's certainly on a heater, and it certainly being driven by Panarin, who I certainly chuckled at "looking like hot garbage". 

Look, you quoted me passively. I'm not sure why, if you refused to have this conversation.You then incorrectly said this is revisionist history when i've explained that the words im using today are the same ones I used the  day he signed here. Also, Trocheck had 75 points in 17/18 so again, this is who he is. It's not some heater we need to enjoy as if it isn't part of his resume already. He was a fantastic signing. Copp went for the same price and performs at half the rate. Strome a bit cheaper but again, half the production and even less on the other parts of the game. The fact that we got Trocheck for under 6m was a great deal for us. Always has been.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Trocheck was good last year. Worth the contract AAV, but left a question if he’d be worth the length of it. This year he’s been great and worth significantly more than the contract AAV, which alleviates some concern about the contract length.

As great as Panarin has been, I think anyone watching the games sees Trocheck (and Laf) are doing more than just riding coattails. I think Panarin can thank them for the helping hand in achieving a career year.

Absolutely. Using Panarin as a catchall for everything good with his linemates isn't really fair to how much the other two bring. Panarin is having a worldly year. Good players thrive when playing with other good players. Trocheck and Laf deserve credit too. Especially Trocheck. He's been great all year and last year wasn't bad at all.

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I never said riding coattails. But if you don't think playing with MVP Panarin added 10 to 15 points to their totals, I don't know what to tell you.

Panarin has posted similar paces to this in previous years, just not over 82 games which is why he's never hit 100 points. The only thing that's a career high for him is goal scoring. 

There's also no need to throw around "anyone who's watching games" crap. 

Edited by Pete

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Look, you quoted me passively. I'm not sure why, if you refused to have this conversation.You then incorrectly said this is revisionist history when i've explained that the words im using today are the same ones I used the  day he signed here. Also, Trocheck had 75 points in 17/18 so again, this is who he is. It's not some heater we need to enjoy as if it isn't part of his resume already. He was a fantastic signing. Copp went for the same price and performs at half the rate. Strome a bit cheaper but again, half the production and even less on the other parts of the game. The fact that we got Trocheck for under 6m was a great deal for us. Always has been.

Yes, I said he hit 75 points one time. If you want to respond to my post then you should read them fully.

That was also 5 years ago. He's been a high 50s low 60s point player from most of his career outside of the one season.

The player he is today is the player you thought we were getting. But he wasn't this player last year, that's the point. They certainly didn't sign him to be a third line center, and that's exactly what he headed this year as.

If you're trying to say he was this good last year, you'd certainly be mistaken because he wasn't. If you're trying to say you knew all along that this is the player he would be, well then good for you I guess? You get all the internet bonus points. 

There were certainly no signs of it last season. 

Edited by Pete

13 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Absolutely. Using Panarin as a catchall for everything good with his linemates isn't really fair to how much the other two bring. Panarin is having a worldly year. Good players thrive when playing with other good players. Trocheck and Laf deserve credit too. Especially Trocheck. He's been great all year and last year wasn't bad at all.

Right. In addition, I think a year without Strome kind of clued Panarin in that he had become content being too east/west pass happy, and that kind of style just didn't work well enough with Trocheck. They weren't bad together, but it just wasn't as magical as everyone thought it might be - like this year. I'm generally tough on Drury, but I have to give full marks to him for making the switch to Trocheck. It was not an easy move to make. Full marks to Panarin for adapting his game, too. Whether he thought he'd be back with Trocheck again, or whenever he found out he'd be paired with Chytil out the gate, it doesn't matter. Trocheck and Chytil both play a N/S, carry/get the puck deep and get control in the OZ kind of game. Laffy very similar to that too. Panarin had to adjust and he did.

I am cautiously optimistic that Trocheck and Lafreniere will keep Panarin honest in the playoffs. If he's fading on the perimeter too much again, Tro and Laf might be able to reel him back in with the kind of game they both play.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yes, I said he hit 75 points one time. If you want to respond to my post then you should read them fully.

That was also 5 years ago. He's been a high 50s low 60s point player from most of his career outside of the one season.

The player he is today is the player you thought we were getting. But he wasn't this player last year, that's the point. They certainly didn't sign him to be a third line center, and that's exactly what he headed this year as.

If you're trying to say he was this good last year, you'd certainly be mistaken because he wasn't. If you're trying to say you knew all along that this is the player he would be, well then good for you I guess? You get all the internet bonus points. 

There were certainly no signs of it last season. 

I appreciate tha advice on what to read and what to gloss over. I'll also add that if u intend to quote me, just quote me instead of the other passive way. Makes life easier. Also, if you are going to try and tell me that my opinion is in hindsight, then at least do a bit of research on what I've said before saying that. It's just wildly inaccurate. 

I was pretty sure the post was me responding to you having a passive issue with my opinion of him always being a good signing. He was a good signing last year and continues to be one this year. Thats my opinion. You see it differently.  He's just elevated it to another level that are other options we're never going to achieve but in not discounting 64 points and being near the top of most team categories anymore as hot garbage as you seem to forget Panarins playoff performances in the past as being hot garbage.  

You're certainly entitled to yout opinion, even if it gets you no internet points? Confused by the snarkiness with that. Enjoy the rest of your night my man. 

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I appreciate tha advice on what to read and what to gloss over. I'll also add that if u intend to quote me, just quote me instead of the other passive way. Makes life easier. Also, if you are going to try and tell me that my opinion is in hindsight, then at least do a bit of research on what I've said before saying that. It's just wildly inaccurate. 

I was pretty sure the post was me responding to you having a passive issue with my opinion of him always being a good signing. He was a good signing last year and continues to be one this year. Thats my opinion. You see it differently.  He's just elevated it to another level that are other options we're never going to achieve but in not discounting 64 points and being near the top of most team categories anymore as hot garbage as you seem to forget Panarins playoff performances in the past as being hot garbage.  

You're certainly entitled to yout opinion, even if it gets you no internet points? Confused by the snarkiness with that. Enjoy the rest of your night my man. 

Where in the rules does it I need to quote you directly? If I want to reply to a point without directly engaging you so that we can spend the rest of the night repeating ourselves, that's within my right to do so.

I didn't directly quote you because I don't like engaging with you. But Phil won't let us ignore mods. 

Edited by Pete

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Where in the rules does it I need to quote you directly? If I want to reply to a point without directly engaging you so that we can spend the rest of the night repeating ourselves, that's within my right to do so.

I didn't directly quote you because I don't like engaging with you. But Phil won't let us ignore mods. 

My God dude. I don't know how to explain this any easier. If you quote me, or passively quote my words, you're likely going to be considered engaging with me in my eyes. It's easy to avoid it. I thought we were talking hockey. LGR. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 7:46 PM, Keirik said:

He was always great signing and enormous upgrade. Just took a bit long to settle in. He by no means had a poor year last year. He just added another step this year. Also, put a lot of the injury concerns to bed thus far. Think of how good valued many of our contracts are. We have a 70-80 points 2C under 6m and a 30-40 1LW at 6.5m. 

Some of us had a little bit of buyers remorse after last season. It's not that his numbers weren't good last season. They were alright. But how much he really wasn't clicking with Panarin was concerning. 

Coming into this season there was concern that his cap hit was a bit much for where he was supposed to slot in. He was going to be the 3rd line center. 

I never minded the contract and always figured he'd wind up on line 3, but much further down the road. The cap hit would be fine at such a time, as the cap would rise. 

The point of the post was to say, he's doing what many of us were hoping to get out of him last year.. And it's making a huge difference. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Some of us had a little bit of buyers remorse after last season. It's not that his numbers weren't good last season. They were alright. But how much he really wasn't clicking with Panarin was concerning. 

Coming into this season there was concern that his cap hit was a bit much for where he was supposed to slot in. He was going to be the 3rd line center. 

I never minded the contract and always figured he'd wind up on line 3, but much further down the road. The cap hit would be fine at such a time, as the cap would rise. 

The point of the post was to say, he's doing what many of us were hoping to get out of him last year.. And it's making a huge difference. 

These are my feelings as well. I wasn't necessarily 'concerned' with him not really meshing last season, but it wasn't a great look. This season? A total 180. Yeah, Panarin being insane this year helps, but Trocheck is doing everything, all of the little things it takes to win. You look at the outdoor game against the Islanders, the team was down three goals, and he, himself basically made that whole rally happen. That game is a microcosm of his season.

• Applause 1

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Maybe, but I'm not sure of how much of that is accurate around the team or just what we say on the internet. It was a new coach so there really wasn't anything set in stone as to where people are playing. Trocheck just likely was orginally going to be more of a checking role because we certainly know Chyt can't do that. It's not because Laviolette knew everything in the world about his players going into game 1 and concreted roles. 

His cap hit is 5.6m. He put up 64 points last year, was 56% from the dot, 182 hits, 17 pp points, 13 even strength goals, etc. That was even better than what he did his UFA year with Carolina. That's why his cap hit wasn't even higher. Copp signed for nearly the same deal as a mid 50s point player split between WPG and NYR.  

if he had the type of year this year when he was going into his UFA period with Carolina, he would have demanded somewhere near 7m or so for a cap hit, especially considering he's had a couple of seasons where he's flirted with being a point per game player and had a 74 point season in his folder already. He's overachieving somewhat now , but he was always worth 5.6m for the first few years of his deal. 

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I'd rather give that money to him than what Detroit is paying Copp, that's for sure.

Copp is irrelevant to the conversation. He's playing a different role and with nowhere near the level of talent. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Copp is irrelevant to the conversation. He's playing a different role and with nowhere near the level of talent. 

I know, but I'm glad the Rangers didn't give him the money that Detroit did, even if they were able to.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

I know, but I'm glad the Rangers didn't give him the money that Detroit did, even if they were able to.

I don't think he was ever even part of the conversation to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I don't think he was ever even part of the conversation to be honest. 

Agreed. I still saw it as more of a rental anyway, but even if they really wanted him back, I don't know if I would have done it on the terms Detroit worked out with him. At any rate, glad Trocheck is here.

• Cheers 1