• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #69] Rangers vs Winnipeg Jets — Nice Game

22 minutes ago, Scott said:

They've strung a lot of wins together recently with Igor playing at a level we hadn't seen much earlier this season. The win in Carolina was huge. They've also  played some middle to bottom feeders and have struggled against some of the better teams. Most nights still searching for a 60 minute or close to it. They're once again being carried by primarily Igors hot hand and Quick. Along with a small handful of guys on offense who are much less consistent as a whole especially at even strength. Minus one line who's carried them for most of the season. Stinks that we still see some games when they look to have less interest than whoever they are playing. It's not the end of the world and I hope they can find the killer instinct of keeping their foot on the other teams throat rather than mailing games in or playing down to the level of the other team. The jets were good, have great goaltending so I'm not specifically talking about the opponent last night. I think IF the Rangers can bring it every game come playoff time they may just control their own destiny. If some of their top players decide they're going to have ugly games then they may find themselves at the mercy of other teams. 

I mean this with all due respect - this feels dramatic, given the play of the team post-deadline.

Over the last few games, we've seen the depth scoring activate in huge ways. Kakko looks, dare I say, excellent? He's been potting goals. Vesey's gotten a few. Cuylle's been well involved. Wennberg's been getting apples. Our third line looks like a matchup nightmare for most teams. Brodzinski got on the board. Hell, the only depth player not actively involved in the offense right now is Goodrow, and that poor bastard couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fistful of hundreds these days. Also, it ain't what we're paying for there. 

We give up rush chances. It's the risk we take, in part because we have guys like Panarin and Fox who can win that gamble more often than not, in part because guys like K'Andre Miller can skate well enough to mitigate that risk, and in part because we have two goalies who really know how to defend the rush. But none of this means that we're taking the night off or something. It's a feature, not a bug, and it's likely that against high-point forechecking teams, we'll need to mitigate the east-west play at the blue line. edit - I'll note that our second period was a little too passive for my liking. I wish they worked harder, but I'm also going to give the Jets a lot of credit for their defending in that time.

At the end of the day? Winnipeg played well. They converted chances where they got them. Maybe they got lucky that their highest danger chances landed on Schiefele and Connor whereas ours landed on Cuylle and Vesey. Play that game again, and I bet we'd get at least a point. Sometimes, you gotta give the opponent some credit too.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

Vally's data says we got both well-defended (look at all those low danger chances) and goalied (nearly 4xG, 2G).

Both goalies excellent here 

Yeah.

Good team.

Elite goalie.

It happens.

Also…. Teams play up so much when they come to The Garden.

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

Good team.

Elite goalie.

It happens.

Also…. Teams play up so much when they come to The Garden.

I don't even think they played up. They played a really good 20 minutes in the middle frame where they kept us at bay and put pucks behind Igor on some very high danger chances. They defended that lead reasonably well.

In the end, the difference in this game was Hellebuyck. And that's why he's Conor Hellebuyck. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

...and there you have it, kids!

I wanted to see Rempe for selfish reasons!  LOL  I love the kid, but Vodka's right; he's not the reason we lost.  Would he have helped?  Who knows!

We had a stinker of a 2nd period and the effort wasn't "top notch" on more than a few plays.  We were literally 3 inches from sending it to OT in a game I feel we very little business being in, after the 2nd period.

What's lost in the sauce here is that Igor held us in there, making some huge saves to keep it at 3-1.  I thought it easily could've been 5-1 or even 6-1.

Rempe flying all over the ice banging bodies gets the whole team playing a fast tenacious style. Pretty much seen it every game he is in there. Last night after the first they played like they were on ludes. 

May or may not have caused a different outcome but it def would not have hurt.

2 hours ago, fletch said:

I'm sorry you missed the main points of my post.  Over the years the Rangers have treated the young players different than the veterans.  Players like Laf, Kakko, Rempe have had TOI cut and/or healthy scratches because of play not meeting standards.  Vets like Kreider, Zib, Panarin, Trocheck, have largely escaped having TOI cut, or getting dropped from PP1 to PP2 or off the other power play, or other playing time consequences that would get their attention.  It's most important for your core veterans (especially those with 'A' on their chest) to set the standard of play and an example for the young players.

Torts has done an amazing job to have the Flyers in third place.  

I've isolated the main points of the Torts quote for emphasis on my point(s) below.

"For me, I don't care the name, the stature, veteran, especially this time of year," Tortorella said.  "I need him to be better, that's all."

The contrast I am drawing between Philadelphia and the Rangers is 

1. Tortorella is holding all players to his standard - he's not letting stars, veterans, or players with the most TOI get a free pass if their play doesn't meet standards.

2. Tortorella expects better from a player, so that player is a clean scratch.  He knows that Couturier is going to be key for the playoff push - so the time for corrective action is during the regular season.

• Phil unpinned this topic
5 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

I mean this with all due respect - this feels dramatic, given the play of the team post-deadline.

Over the last few games, we've seen the depth scoring activate in huge ways. Kakko looks, dare I say, excellent? He's been potting goals. Vesey's gotten a few. Cuylle's been well involved. Wennberg's been getting apples. Our third line looks like a matchup nightmare for most teams. Brodzinski got on the board. Hell, the only depth player not actively involved in the offense right now is Goodrow, and that poor bastard couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fistful of hundreds these days. Also, it ain't what we're paying for there. 

We give up rush chances. It's the risk we take, in part because we have guys like Panarin and Fox who can win that gamble more often than not, in part because guys like K'Andre Miller can skate well enough to mitigate that risk, and in part because we have two goalies who really know how to defend the rush. But none of this means that we're taking the night off or something. It's a feature, not a bug, and it's likely that against high-point forechecking teams, we'll need to mitigate the east-west play at the blue line. edit - I'll note that our second period was a little too passive for my liking. I wish they worked harder, but I'm also going to give the Jets a lot of credit for their defending in that time.

At the end of the day? Winnipeg played well. They converted chances where they got them. Maybe they got lucky that their highest danger chances landed on Schiefele and Connor whereas ours landed on Cuylle and Vesey. Play that game again, and I bet we'd get at least a point. Sometimes, you gotta give the opponent some credit too.

Overly dramatic? Where's the lies? Kakko excellent?  the parts you didn't highlight, I gave the Jets credit. Said if they they can bring it every night they can control their own destiny in the playoffs while if some of their top players have ugly games they will find themselves at the mercy of other teams.  They were so flat in the second period Lavy pulled out the Gallant blender to start the third. 

They've strung a lot of wins together recently with Igor playing at a level we hadn't seen much earlier this season. The win in Carolina was huge. They've also  played some middle to bottom feeders and have struggled against some of the better teams. Most nights still searching for a 60 minute or close to it. They're once again being carried by primarily Igors hot hand and Quick. Along with a small handful of guys on offense who are much less consistent as a whole especially at even strength. Minus one line who's carried them for most of the season. Stinks that we still see some games when they look to have less interest than whoever they are playing. It's not the end of the world and I hope they can find the killer instinct of keeping their foot on the other teams throat rather than mailing games in or playing down to the level of the other team. The jets were good, have great goaltending so I'm not specifically talking about the opponent last night. I think IF the Rangers can bring it every game come playoff time they may just control their own destiny. If some of their top players decide they're going to have ugly games then they may find themselves at the mercy of other teams. 

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Overly dramatic? Where's the lies? Kakko excellent?  the parts you didn't highlight, I gave the Jets credit. Said if they they can bring it every night they can control their own destiny in the playoffs while if some of their top players have ugly games they will find themselves at the mercy of other teams.  They were so flat in the second period Lavy pulled out the Gallant blender to start the third. 

I think for me it's the part where you pull out certain themes from last night, and let's even say there is complete agreement on them, that you are applying those themes to a bunch of other games where that is not really what was happening is where it becomes dramatic. 

The way some people describe this team, there is no possible way a team that bad would be in first place in their division all season and top five in the league all season. 

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think for me it's the part where you pull out certain themes from last night, and let's even say there is complete agreement on them, that you are applying those themes to a bunch of other games where that is not really what was happening is where it becomes dramatic. 

The way some people describe this team, there is no possible way a team that bad would be in first place in their division all season and top five in the league all season. 

The main theme is they can pretty much control their own destiny if they play a smart solid 60 and get contributions from their best players and the role players do their jobs and the goalies play well above average. I think they can stack up and beat anyone. IF they don't get all those things they can just as easily be an early out when everything (intensity - quality of opponents) ratchets up in the playoffs.  I think having as many wins as they do now is great but there have been more than a handful where one period, 30 mins whatever of great end to end hockey has been good enough to pull out a victory in an otherwise pretty inconsistent effort. A brief sense of urgency at the very end has been enough to pull out a couple as well. Odds of that being enough in the playoffs becomes less imo.

Honestly is there anybody that's going to take solace in regular season success if they don't excel in the playoffs?  Their regular season record is great, but that doesn't mean there aren't some signs where there should be some concern or pause if that softens it. One of them to me is a couple of your best players not being exactly that your best players or worse not good or relatively invisible.

I'm not jumping off a bridge here in any way.  Nothing being said here is new, still holding out hope they'll get some more consistency from puck drop to the final horn. I don't think what was said before (paraphrase) is true in that you're just not going to get 60 min efforts because the other team has a say in it.  Of course they do and I think it's always possible there will be some games even if you give your best 60 you will lose to a better team on that given night.  On those nights you tip your cap. However, I don't think another team has the ability to stop you from giving that great effort from beginning to end.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Dem said:

Rempe flying all over the ice banging bodies gets the whole team playing a fast tenacious style. Pretty much seen it every game he is in there. Last night after the first they played like they were on ludes. 

May or may not have caused a different outcome but it def would not have hurt.

You must’ve been watched Wolf of Wall Street recently..lol

51 minutes ago, Scott said:

The main theme is they can pretty much control their own destiny if they play a smart solid 60 and get contributions from their best players and the role players do their jobs and the goalies play well above average. I think they can stack up and beat anyone. IF they don't get all those things they can just as easily be an early out when everything (intensity - quality of opponents) ratchets up in the playoffs.  I think having as many wins as they do now is great but there have been more than a handful where one period, 30 mins whatever of great end to end hockey has been good enough to pull out a victory in an otherwise pretty inconsistent effort. A brief sense of urgency at the very end has been enough to pull out a couple as well. Odds of that being enough in the playoffs becomes less imo.

Honestly is there anybody that's going to take solace in regular season success if they don't excel in the playoffs?  Their regular season record is great, but that doesn't mean there aren't some signs where there should be some concern or pause if that softens it. One of them to me is a couple of your best players not being exactly that your best players or worse not good or relatively invisible.

I'm not jumping off a bridge here in any way.  Nothing being said here is new, still holding out hope they'll get some more consistency from puck drop to the final horn. I don't think what was said before (paraphrase) is true in that you're just not going to get 60 min efforts because the other team has a say in it.  Of course they do and I think it's always possible there will be some games even if you give your best 60 you will lose to a better team on that given night.  On those nights you tip your cap. However, I don't think another team has the ability to stop you from giving that great effort from beginning to end.  

I'm honestly not concerned at all about this team. That doesn't mean I think they'll stroll to the cup, but I'm not worried that they're going to get run out of any buildings.

My POV on last night's game is that it was the first out of conference game they've played in a while on a Tuesday night in March, after a jam-packed schedule of divisional games, missing two of their top four defenseman... And they lost a game that was within reach of a tie.

The games they've lost recently were to the upper echelon of the league, so it's not like they're blowing it against bottom feeders, and every one of those games was winnable.

There's nothing that's happened since the All-Star game that makes me think this team can't hang with anyone in a seven game series. 

• TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

They are 15-5 in their last 20 (since beginning of Feb).  They have beaten the Avs, Stars, Lightning and Canes during that stretch.  They lost to Florida, Winnipeg, shoot out loss to Toronto and Lightning where they were obviously exhausted.  There’s always room for improvement but come on peeps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

They are 15-5 in their last 20 (since beginning of Feb).  They have beaten the Avs, Stars, Lightning and Canes during that stretch.  They lost to Florida, Winnipeg, shoot out loss to Toronto and Lightning where they were obviously exhausted.  There’s always room for improvement but come on peeps

Perfectionists are never happy. We want 82-0 regular season and 16-0 in the playoffs