• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Targeting Alex Wennberg; Kraken Keeping Him Out of Lineup Due to 'Trade Related Reasons'

Phil

The Post has learned that the Blueshirts have identified Seattle center Alex Wennberg as a person of interest to fill that spot in the middle of the third line. The Swede is a pending free agent working on the final year of a free-agent deal he signed with the Kraken in 2021 under which he carries a $4.5 million cap hit.

Wennberg has some size at 6-foot-2, 190 pounds, skates well and would probably play down in the lineup as a third-liner. The Swede, 8-14-22 this season, does not necessarily have the same shooting mentality of Brodzinski playing between straight-liners Kakko and Cuylle, but he has 42 games of playoff experience, skates well and is a no-doubt legit two-way NHL center finishing his 10th year.

The Rangers, we are told, are not alone regarding their interest in Wennberg. The Bruins, who may need a top-six center, have been identified as in the mix. The cost — which would be impacted by Seattle retaining 50 percent of the cap charge that would enable Drury to conduct further business — won’t be cheap. The Blueshirts, though, can’t empty the piggy bank for a third-line center.

It would come down to cost. I don’t know what a team like Boston can offer in terms of picks, prospects and whatnot. Wennberg is a good player, not great. He would fill in a role we seem to need to fill. Brodzinski has played better and has definitely at the very least made it a debate as to whether our assets may be better spent on getting a winger to slide in on the Zibanejad line or if 3C is where we should empty out our available assets. Or if maybe you split it up, if possible? Going to be interesting to see how Drury goes. Wennberg is an interesting idea.

Edited by RichieNextel305

26 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Acquiring a third line center when the third line has become quite successful is something very "Ranger like" to do.....wouldn't be surprising.

This is a bit short sighted. If there’s an injury who do you use then? You need depth in the playoffs. 

• Like 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

Does nothing for me. Big for no reason. Not particularly fast. Not physical. A worse version of Chytil, basically. Brooks' description of him literally writes the phrase "skates well," twice because it's about all he offers.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

45 minutes ago, Phil said:

Does nothing for me. Big for no reason. Not particularly fast. Not physical. A worse version of Chytil, basically. Brooks' description of him literally writes the phrase "skates well," twice because it's about all he offers.

With how the 3rd line is playing right now, are we maybe getting to the point you ride this wave with Brodzinski and hope that come playoff time this level of consistency remains? And with that are you then moving on to finding yourself a 1RW for the Zibanejad line?

Wennberg is too young to be a Rangers trade deadline acquisition, he’s only 29 years old.  I think the nicest thing I can say is that they could do worse.  He’s a professional hockey player that can center the third line.  Good enough if you think we are a piece or two away from a deep playoff run.

I have no problem with Drury laying off on the rentals this year and letting this team give it a go as is.  They have depth pieces in house in Hartford.  Tarasenko didn't move the needle last year and doubt he would again this year, his D is not up to the task.  I like Vesey better with Kreider and Mika, makes a really solid possession and defensively responsible line with a little grit.  Troch line is set.  3rd line with Johnny B has really been good and solid defensively, and what more can you ask of a 3rd line? Would Wennberg make much of a difference? He may not even gel with Cuylee and Kakko like Johnny has. The 4th line with Goody and the twin towers are nothing but fun as hell to watch. Big, fast, physical, and Rempe is the heavyweight they need to take care of block heads around the league that want to run our guys and take cheap shots. The D corp is what it is at this point.  Top 4 aren't going to change and Gus is a Lavi fave, so he and Schneids aren't going to change.  The key is Igor.  If he plays anywhere near the way he did tonight, they have as good a shot at the cup as anyone, as is.  And Quickie is there just in case.  Just because they have cap room, doesn't mean they have to spend it.  All it may do is fuck up the chemistry of the team at this point.  Let em play Drury.  

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 3
  • Believe 1

5 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Don’t think he’s worth what it will take to get him. 

The trade deadline acquisitions almost never are.  Interesting though experiment on what the Rangers would have now if they did not make deadline "buys" the past two seasons.  I think we lost at least one 1st round pick that I can remember off hand, and kept zero of our rentals.

16 minutes ago, RangerDanger said:

I'd pass on this. Quite comfortable with the way the 3rd line is playing, their chemistry seems to be clicking. If I had to put all my eggs in one basket, would much rather look at the 1RW spot to fill.

I think that's the ticket, my man.  The 3rd line, although not really "battle-tested" for the playoffs, I somehow have some faith they can do the job.  Kakko's been there and done it, and Cuylle just simply has the "it" factor to fit right in.  Brodz is really the only question mark, but I just don't see anything available out there that might fit better right now.

Unless the Rangers go and get a Boone Jenner (highly unlikely), or a Gourde (probably costs way too much), I just figure we get a puck firing, RW for Zibby and Kreider and be done with it.

The key here is not to spend anything huge, like another 1st rounder to do it.  We should be able to get a rental for a metric ass ton less than that.

• Applause 1

47 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think that's the ticket, my man.  The 3rd line, although not really "battle-tested" for the playoffs, I somehow have some faith they can do the job.  Kakko's been there and done it, and Cuylle just simply has the "it" factor to fit right in.  Brodz is really the only question mark, but I just don't see anything available out there that might fit better right now.

Unless the Rangers go and get a Boone Jenner (highly unlikely), or a Gourde (probably costs way too much), I just figure we get a puck firing, RW for Zibby and Kreider and be done with it.

The key here is not to spend anything huge, like another 1st rounder to do it.  We should be able to get a rental for a metric ass ton less than that.

I get the assertion on not trading a 1st… but to be fair, this years draft class is meh. Especially the bottom half of that 1st round.

If it’s for the right player, they shouldn’t be too concerned about doing that. 

2 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I get the assertion on not trading a 1st… but to be fair, this years draft class is meh. Especially the bottom half of that 1st round.

If it’s for the right player, they shouldn’t be too concerned about doing that. 

After seeing some scout's reports on players over the last several seasons, 7....I'm highly skeptical of their "beliefs"!  LOL 

But I hear where you're coming from.  😃

Aside from Othmann and Perrault, nothing should be off the table when it comes to prospects or picks. I’m not saying to go on a spree here and to totally fuck ourselves backward moving forward. But the truth of the matter is we have a super motivated Panarin playing the best he ever has, Shesterkin entering a walk year and a very good core of players at other important positions behind those 2 in the likes of Zibanejad, Fox, Kreider and others. All of whom are right at the ripe age where they’re not old but they’re not kids anymore either. And they’ve been around the block now a time or 2. And when you look at the outlook of this entire league right now, not one team jumps out at you and screams they’re the single team to beat. There is no 2013 Blackhawks out there right now where you knew 100% the Cup ran through. We are as good as anyone when we put together 60 minutes like we did last night. This team has answered the bell following that lull and Drury owes it to them to fix any weak spots in the lineup that he could.

• Like 1

If we are looking at Seattle I'd rather take a stab at Eberle or Gourde. Wennberg is going to a nice restaurant and ordering a piece of plain white toast. 

Edited by Flynn
  • Applause 1

22 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Aside from Othmann and Perrault, nothing should be off the table when it comes to prospects or picks. I’m not saying to go on a spree here and to totally fuck ourselves backward moving forward. But the truth of the matter is we have a super motivated Panarin playing the best he ever has, Shesterkin entering a walk year and a very good core of players at other important positions behind those 2 in the likes of Zibanejad, Fox, Kreider and others. All of whom are right at the ripe age where they’re not old but they’re not kids anymore either. And they’ve been around the block now a time or 2. And when you look at the outlook of this entire league right now, not one team jumps out at you and screams they’re the single team to beat. There is no 2013 Blackhawks out there right now where you knew 100% the Cup ran through. We are as good as anyone when we put together 60 minutes like we did last night. This team has answered the bell following that lull and Drury owes it to them to fix any weak spots in the lineup that he could.

I would push a little bit on the quality of the teams around the league right now. There are a couple of teams that are head and shoulders above the Rangers. Not saying that they can't beat those teams, just saying that there is a clear line between teams like Vancouver and Florida versus the Rangers. Those will be tough battles.

I also don't see the Rangers trading any prospect they believe has a future here. I don't think that they will part with Sykora or Berard, but I can see them moving on from Robertson, Jones, Henriksson (Not that anybody would want him) or some other non-AHL guys who may have value. 

I think they would rather ship out a slew of picks which they can always recoup when they start their own fire sale. 

5 minutes ago, Flynn said:

If we are looking at Seattle I'd rather take a stab at Eberle or Gourde. Wennberg is going to a nice restaurant and ordering a piece of plain white toast. 

But that's what you order in the restaurant when you only have a dollar to spend.

The other guy you mentioned are going to cost way more in salary and assets. While this guy might not help offensively, he certainly could help defensively. 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I would push a little bit on the quality of the teams around the league right now. There are a couple of teams that are head and shoulders above the Rangers. Not saying that they can't beat those teams, just saying that there is a clear line between teams like Vancouver and Florida versus the Rangers. Those will be tough battles.

I also don't see the Rangers trading any prospect they believe has a future here. I don't think that they will part with Sykora or Berard, but I can see them moving on from Robertson, Jones, Henriksson (Not that anybody would want him) or some other non-AHL guys who may have value. 

I think they would rather ship out a slew of picks which they can always recoup when they start their own fire sale. 

Tough battles, for sure. I’m not saying we are the team to beat. I’m just saying that it’s an open playing field. If there was ever a time to push your chips in to the middle for this organization, now is it. That’s really all I meant by that.

• Cheers 1
  • Applause 1
  • Believe 1

34 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Tough battles, for sure. I’m not saying we are the team to beat. I’m just saying that it’s an open playing field. If there was ever a time to push your chips in to the middle for this organization, now is it. That’s really all I meant by that.

There’s no definitive, overwhelming, team to beat.

There’s 8-10 legitimate contenders. Rangers are one of them and can beat any of them. 

• Keeps it 100 1