• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Lindgren Opens up About Pending Free Agency: 'This Is Home Now'

Phil

"I’m human," he said. "You think about stuff like that. Obviously, it is a contract year, but I think about it more so as a team. How we play is obviously going to help that. If our team does well, then hopefully they want to keep me around or whatever it may be. But you just try not to think about it. It's hard not to, but it is what it is."

"His impact on the game is not always written about," Laviolette said. "It’s the things that he does – the blocking shots, the physicality, the top minutes, the top lines, the penalty kill. It’s the physical way in which he plays the game, and the things that he battles through to play in those games. Because that type of player, I think, it can start to take a toll on you, and yet he’s there. He's reliable. He's dependable, and so, he's been outstanding for us this year."

Concerns about how his body will hold up may limit how many years team president Chris Drury is willing to offer a restricted free agent who will have arbitration rights for the first time this summer, but the expectation is that agreeable terms won't be hard to come by for two sides who have a high level of mutual respect.

Frankly, it would be more difficult to land another proven top-four defenseman on the open market who fits into Lindgren's expected $3 million-to-$4 million AAV range − and there's no doubt that going in a different direction would put a dent in team chemistry.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/02/15/rangers-ryan-lindgren-on-pending-free-agency-this-is-home-now/72612060007/

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Pay Me GIF

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Totally didn't realize he is only 26. I'd give him that contract without hesitation and buyout Goodrow to accommodate.

The level of stupidity it would take to not re-sign him, especially at that price, would have to be astronomical. 

Lindgren's Q.O. is at $4M. I see zero chance at anything under that, and anything with term eating into UFA years will cost more than that.

We can go back and forth about his analytics this year, and they aren't good, but it doesn't change that a boatload of teams would want a guy like this on their team, including the one across the river. Imagine him in red and black. Gross.

With that said, the Rangers have to improve at LD. Lindgren is not a 1st pairing guy and neither is Miller. I think it's something they should address this summer.

At the price Vince cites, or even slightly above, it's a complete no-brainer.

That said, and yes, I hate myself when I say these words - @BrooksBurner has a really important point here. LD has been rough this year. It's not only Lindgren and Miller - Trouba's been a contributor to our defense being shoddier, Fox hasn't been his usual Norris-caliber self - but it's a problem. Lindgren is capable of solving that problem to some extent and at the price being discussed, we'd be idiots to say no.

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Lindgren's Q.O. is at $4M. I see zero chance at anything under that, and anything with term eating into UFA years will cost more than that.

We can go back and forth about his analytics this year, and they aren't good, but it doesn't change that a boatload of teams would want a guy like this on their team, including the one across the river. Imagine him in red and black. Gross.

With that said, the Rangers have to improve at LD. Lindgren is not a 1st pairing guy and neither is Miller. I think it's something they should address this summer.

TBD. Lindgren obviously wants to stay, so he's likely to be a bit more reasonable to get a deal done.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

TBD. Lindgren obviously wants to stay, so he's likely to be a bit more reasonable to get a deal done.

Both things are true. Traditionally speaking, @BrooksBurner is correct. UFA years cost UFA prices. But the way this article reads, and the way the quotes from Lindgren read, it sounds like he's not all that interested in testing the market and wants to stay. It feels like there's a very easy bridge here: $4.5m x something. The something is what needs figuring out more than the AAV IMO.

• Applause 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Both things are true. Traditionally speaking, @BrooksBurner is correct. UFA years cost UFA prices. But the way this article reads, and the way the quotes from Lindgren read, it sounds like he's not all that interested in testing the market and wants to stay. It feels like there's a very easy bridge here: $4.5m x something. The something is what needs figuring out more than the AAV IMO.

I think Lindy would be happy to take $22.5 million over 5 years to remain in NYC with his best buddy Fox.  

Just now, Phil said:

I think everyone's 4.5 expectation is about right, and I think @Ozzy nailed the term (5 years). It's a discount from the 5.5ish most had been guessing 6 months ago, so you've got a decrease in value based on the underwhelming season he has had combined with a team discount of sorts to stay here.

I just have no clue why Vince would say an expected range of 3-4M. There's just no way. If that's all the Rangers are offering on a multi-year, I think he's signing the 1 year 4M QO and going UFA without question.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think everyone's 4.5 expectation is about right, and I think @Ozzy nailed the term (5 years). It's a discount from the 5.5ish most had been guessing 6 months ago, so you've got a decrease in value based on the underwhelming season he has had combined with a team discount of sorts to stay here.

I just have no clue why Vince would say an expected range of 3-4M. There's just no way. If that's all the Rangers are offering on a multi-year, I think he's signing the 1 year 4M QO and going UFA without question.

Agreed. The idea of him taking $3 million, or anything close to it, is insanity. It's a paycut. He makes $4 million in base salary this season. That's the minimum IMO.

• LINDY! 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

5 years $4.5 million...that's my guess

That's about right.  I understand the concerns about him wearing down, but who would have thought five years ago that Marc Staal would still be in the league now.

1 minute ago, Sod16 said:

That's about right.  I understand the concerns about him wearing down, but who would have thought five years ago that Marc Staal would still be in the league now.

Guy's a warrior.  We want warriors!  We need warriors!  😃

Ultimate Warrior 80S GIF by WWE

• Bullseye 1
  • LINDY! 1

14 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

No girl ever bled as much as Lindgren bleeds for the rangers.  But if Miller can get a legit 1st pairing defenseman so Lindgren doesnt get as many minutes per night, i'll be happier

They need to try Miller with Fox. Get him away from Trouba. Then figure out what he really is.

The underlying numbers say Miller is good with the other RDs on the team, and Trouba isn't good with anyone but Fox and Zac Jones.

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Don't. You. Dare.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 2.10.37 PM.png

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

They need to try Miller with Fox. Get him away from Trouba. Then figure out what he really is.

The underlying numbers say Miller is good with the other RDs on the team, and Trouba isn't good with anyone but Fox and Zac Jones.

Hasnt been the case with two coaches now.  Lavi tried mixing up the D at the start of the season but then promptly went back to the same pairing GG had the years prior.  Maybe they dont like what they see in practice?

14 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Hasnt been the case with two coaches now.  Lavi tried mixing up the D at the start of the season but then promptly went back to the same pairing GG had the years prior.  Maybe they dont like what they see in practice?

I don't really think it's ever truly been tried in a game outside pre-season.

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

Guy is indestructible I dunno what you are on about.