• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Peter Laviolette — Coach of the Year?

Ozzy

The man has been spectacular this season!  Hands down! 

I'm really looking forward to how he handles the kids going forward, and most definitely how we march through this year's playoffs.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan!

How 'bout you guys?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

He has for sure been a difference. I don’t know how you can say he hasn’t been. He’s brought structure to a team that was lacking it. And that’s coming from someone who didn’t hate Gallant the way others do. It was a needed change though, in seeing them play. It’s a team that has talent to burn but needed to learn how to win games in other ways when their skill was being shutdown and Igor wasn’t standing on his head.

Like he has in almost all of his other stops, he has made an immediate impact. And while I definitely appreciate the way he has changed the way we play quite a bit, and while I definitely think he is in the conversation for being one of the best coaches in the league, I can’t see him winning the award just because the Rangers are a team coming off of back-to-back seasons where they posted over 100 points. I feel most of the time, the Jack Adams goes to a guy who leads a surprise team well above expectation. I can see a guy like Tortorella getting some love this year, because who the hell had Philadelphia making any type as much of a dent as they have? 

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Applause 1

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

Not a chance. Tocchet has that locked up. Canucks went from non-playoffs to President’s Cup challenger. The Rangers were already a team that was well into the 100s points wise.

Yeah, forgot about him too. I mentioned Torts but hard to dismiss what Tocchet has done for Vancouver.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yeah, forgot about him too. I mentioned Torts but hard to dismiss what Tocchet has done for Vancouver.

I agree about Torts, and there's time for the optics to change. If Vancouver cools and Philly heats up, Torts could absolutely get it. It's amazing what he's done with that Flyers roster.

• Keeps it 100 1

Speaking of Johnny Tortellini.    Can't wait to see Torts face get all contorted Saturday afternoon.  I smell a Broad Street beat down coming.

I think the Broadway boys enjoy their weekend matinees.  Let's Go Rangers ! 

• Applause 1

6 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

He has for sure been a difference. I don’t know how you can say he hasn’t been. He’s brought structure to a team that was lacking it. And that’s coming from someone who didn’t hate Gallant the way others do. It was a needed change though, in seeing them play. It’s a team that has talent to burn but needed to learn how to win games in other ways when their skill was being shutdown and Igor wasn’t standing on his head.

Like he has in almost all of his other stops, he has made an immediate impact. And while I definitely appreciate the way he has changed the way we play quite a bit, and while I definitely think he is in the conversation for being one of the best coaches in the league, I can’t see him winning the award just because the Rangers are a team coming off of back-to-back seasons where they posted over 100 points. I feel most of the time, the Jack Adams goes to a guy who leads a surprise team well above expectation. I can see a guy like Tortorella getting some love this year, because who the hell had Philadelphia making any type as much of a dent as they have? 

I think Tocchets name has been thrown around as well but Tortorella took a dumpster fire and put it out. He knows they lack much too end talent but has gotten the most out of that roster. It has to be Torts.

• Phil changed the title to Peter Laviolette — Coach of the Year?
9 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Not a chance. Tocchet has that locked up. Canucks went from non-playoffs to President’s Cup challenger. The Rangers were already a team that was well into the 100s points wise.

This. Laviolette deserves consideration, but that consideration should fall well short of Tocchet's feet.

• Keeps it 100 1

11 hours ago, JJ in VA said:

I think Vancouver may fade.   I'd stick with Petey.

But, don't sleep on Montgomery.   No Patrice and Bruins are still humming.  Too bad he's stuck with a rat-weasel C ! Ha

They are a wild card team if they didn't receive 12 points for losing games in OT.

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

The man has been spectacular this season!  Hands down! 

I'm really looking forward to how he handles the kids going forward, and most definitely how we march through this year's playoffs.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan!

How 'bout you guys?

Ranger Oz?

Laviolette has ridden the Rangers very well all season.  He's been measured in his approach and he's stuck with a 4 line rotation when we needed it and double-shifted a few guys when we needed it.

I keep coming back to his early insistence that we'd have rough patches, things to talk about, even when the Rangers were romping the NHL.  That's what made the adjustments so effective after those rough patches.  He knew we'd need to make some changes and he was ready for that.

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

They were mid to not that great for about two months and still had first place. They've been shredding since the break. This is more early season Rangers right now, perhaps better.

It's definitely better.  Still lucky (winning goal off of a rookie's skate) but the Rangers are consistently dominating teams right now.

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

It's definitely better.  Still lucky (winning goal off of a rookie's skate) but the Rangers are consistently dominating teams right now.

You create your own luck. Some of their success early was because they got a bit of it.

• The Chyt! 2

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

You create your own luck. Some of their success early was because they got a bit of it.

They got a *lot* of luck.  They still are but their performance in other games is setting up the great overall performance.

9 minutes ago, Br4d said:

They got a *lot* of luck.  They still are but their performance in other games is setting up the great overall performance.

You keep saying they're lucky but you have no way to prove that. Their PDO is 99.9, which suggests they are anything but lucky.