• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Slapshot Heard 'Round the World: Morgan Rielly Ejected for Leveling Ridley Greig After Empty Net Goal

Phil

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Toronto should be more concerned with why they had to pull their goalie against one of the worst teams in the league instead of taking exception to how the puck winds up in their empty net. 

If you were fucking winning you wouldn't have to worry about it. 

Indubitably, my good sir. But I still can't blame them/Rielly for reacting like they did.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Okay. To you. Not to hockey players. You see no big deal. They see showboating bullshit, and they respond to it.

If the "appropriate" response (Keefe's words, not yours) to *checks notes* not shooting into your empty net the way you want the opponent to, is a cross check to the face, then I think the response needs to evolve. Thinking Greig is somehow the bad guy in this situation is asinine and deserving of having a greater conversation about "hockey culture." 

• TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, phillyb said:

If the "appropriate" response (Keefe's words, not yours) to *checks notes* not shooting into your empty net the way you want the opponent to, is a cross check to the face, then I think the response needs to evolve. Thinking Greig is somehow the bad guy in this situation is asinine and deserving of having a greater conversation about "hockey culture." 

Appropriate response. Inappropriate application. Cross check to the ribs would have been much better.

• TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

9 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

There’s no code for trying to deliberately injure someone but there’s a code against a slapshot on the empty net? Seems out of whack to me 

Well stated.  How about drop your gloves if you are so offended?   

• Like 1

I’m in the huge minority it seems (based on twitter). But I really don't give a shit how someone scores an empty netter- butter soft wrister, back hand, a clapper, pull out your hog and use it to score- don't care. I’m more pissed about the first 4 goals scored. Blowing up someone who didn’t follow the (stupid) unwritten rules of the game is fake tough guy stuff. 

Edited by Flynn
  • Applause 1

the cross-check to the head was overboard and he deserves a big-time suspension.

yeah, it's a dick move to do that slapper on the empty net. Drop the gloves with him. hell maybe don't even wait for him to drop, just throw them down and start punching, take an instigator, take the fine. but there's a line and Reilly crossed it and the league needs to crack down on this. 

Obviously their is a problem with hockey culture that doesnt seem to evolve, Chicago Blackhawks, Hockey Canada, "unwritten rules" for the dumbest shit.  Greig didnt shoot the puck at an opponents head, he shot the puck at an empty net.  

Edited by Blue Heaven
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

Obviously their is a problem with hockey culture that doesnt seem to evolve, Chicago Blackhawks, Hockey Canada, "unwritten rules" for the dumbest shit.  Greig didnt shoot the puck at an opponents head, he shot the puck at an empty net.  

Eh he fucked around and found out, maybe a little too much but he knew what he was signing up for. Suspend the guy, move on, don’t take slappers into an EN. It’s neither complicated nor controversial 

2 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

These things aren't remotely related.

These "unwritten rules" exist in sports. Not just hockey. If you showboat and rub someone's nose in shit, you can expect retaliation, however it manifests. There's nothing illogical about this.

6 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

A winning team does a back flip into the end zone for a final touchdown during the regular season; I don't think the other team reacts this way. It may be a hockey thing.

Again, not apples to apples. That would be simply being beaten. The endzone was being defended.

I guess the closest example I could think of would be like a guy taking a free throw, but instead, turning around and throwing it in behind him like Chappelle in the Prince episode. You don't think opposing players are gonna bark about that?

And regardless, even if it is just a hockey thing, it's a thing hockey players know all too well. The fact Greig's own teammates wouldn't defend him in the media speaks volumes. If you're gonna fuck around, fuck around, but don't clutch pearls if and when you find out.

I don't agree, the game evolves.  Same way the Michigan and goalies trying to score now into an empty net as two examples.  Is somebody gonna take a run at the goalie when they score because it really hurt their feelings I mean like really bad?  Those two examples are way more embarrassing in my book.  Like some others have said here, worry about the 4 goals you gave up to lose the game. 

Michael Jordan took/made a free throw with his eyes closed after saying to Mutumbo this one is for you. You know what happened absolutely nothing. How many guys do 360 dunks while they're basket hanging up 20+ points, a lot. Isn't there a difference between barking and what Rielly did?

Then there's this guy who was out on the ice for the next faceoff with a few seconds left after that goal, know what he did, absolutely nothing? I like the guy, was excited when we got him. Yes Ryan things were different when you came into the league. Frankly though nobody cares about your opinion know, you're completely irrelevant. 

Edited by Scott

45 minutes ago, Phil said:

These things aren't remotely related.

These "unwritten rules" exist in sports. Not just hockey. If you showboat and rub someone's nose in shit, you can expect retaliation, however it manifests. There's nothing illogical about this.

Taking a clapper into an empty net is showboating?!?!  Not much of a difference if its a clapper from 10 feet out or shooting it from the blue line into an empty net.

Next will be, don't score an empty net goal with less than 6 seconds left b/c the other teams feelings will be hurt.  

• Phil changed the title to The Slapshot Heard 'Round the World: Morgan Rielly Ejected for Leveling Ridley Greig After Empty Net Goal
1 minute ago, Blue Heaven said:

Taking a clapper into an empty net is showboating?!?!  Not much of a difference if its a clapper from 10 feet out or shooting it from the blue line into an empty net.

Next will be, don't score an empty net goal with less than 6 seconds left b/c the other teams feelings will be hurt.  

Yes. Maybe not to you, or others, but to the guys on the ice, the coaches, and the guys who've played — unequivocally, yes.

Let me put it this way: what could possibly have been his intent aside from rubbing the Leafs' nose in shit?

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes. Maybe not to you, or others, but to the guys on the ice, the coaches, and the guys who've played — unequivocally, yes.

Let me put it this way: what could possibly have been his intent aside from rubbing the Leafs' nose in shit?

season 1 friends GIF

Maybe he wanted to see how hard he can take a slapshot w/o a goalie in the net?!?! 

6 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

season 1 friends GIF

Maybe he wanted to see how hard he can take a slapshot w/o a goalie in the net?!?! 

Sure, maybe he's an absolute moron who's never practiced in his life. Let's be honest about this. He did it to knock their dicks in the dirt. And he knew it. When you see the replays from other angles, he looks to center ice, not to his bench, because he knew something was coming. It's almost like he knew it would happen because — gasp — this kind of thing has always happened when a player does something like this. At least in this sport.

• Keeps it 100 1

That "you almost had it" made me LOL for real. The best part is, if someone ever actually did this and got punched in the mouth for it, the same people would be like "what did he even do wrong?" LOL.

I wouldn't call any of that show boating. But you have to take into account the player, not just the play. This guy is their version of Avery, and what he did was absolutely meant to rub Toronto's face in it, they are rivals. 

A response was appropriate, that specific response was inappropriate and will be dealt with. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I don't agree, the game evolves.  Same way the Michigan and goalies trying to score now into an empty net as two examples.  Is somebody gonna take a run at the goalie when they score because it really hurt their feelings I mean like really bad?  Those two examples are way more embarrassing in my book.  Like some others have said here, worry about the 4 goals you gave up to lose the game. 

Michael Jordan took/made a free throw with his eyes closed after saying to Mutumbo this one is for you. You know what happened absolutely nothing. How many guys do 360 dunks while they're basket hanging up 20+ points, a lot. Isn't there a difference between barking and what Rielly did?

Then there's this guy who was out on the ice for the next faceoff with a few seconds left after that goal, know what he did, absolutely nothing? I like the guy, was excited when we got him. Yes Ryan things were different when you came into the league. Frankly though nobody cares about your opinion know, you're completely irrelevant. 

Also quote from Reaves:"

"Make hockey violent again," he added, per Sportsnet. "Get that tattooed on me."

• Like 1
  • JIMMY! 1

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

I wouldn't call any of that show boating. But you have to take into account the player, not just the play. This guy is their version of Avery, and what he did was absolutely meant to rub Toronto's face in it, they are rivals. 

A response was appropriate, that specific response was inappropriate and will be dealt with. 

Yup, no disagreement. Said as much earlier. Appropriate response. Inappropriate application.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

100% chance he knew exactly what he was doing. That's simply indisputable. 

I don't hate the guy for doing it, that takes massive balls, and he enjoyed every minute of it, even the cross check. Good for him. I want more guys like that. He achieved the best possible outcome (Iced game and Rielly suspended) for a pound of flesh. This is the way in this sport. That's why it's great. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1