• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Slapshot Heard 'Round the World: Morgan Rielly Ejected for Leveling Ridley Greig After Empty Net Goal

Phil

1) I love the chippy shit, slap shotting into the net. It's good for rivalry. Imagine if Tom Wilson did this playing the Rangers...I'd have more reason to hate him and secretly love him at the same time

2) I love that Rielly went after him, but it had to be a solid body check into the boards, or a toss to the ice with some face washing. I would want the league to look away. But leading with a stick to the face means they can't, and they shouldn't.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Keeps it 100 2

The silver lining: this has clearly reignited the passion of that rivalry, and it's dragged fans, on the whole, into the fight. That's a good thing. We need more of all of this. Hate sells. So, sell it! Grow the game!

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Is Shesty scoring an empty netter equivalent to a slapshot into the same?

No, why would it be? It's a really risky play to attempt such a thing, no mere formality like the other 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

The silver lining: this has clearly reignited the passion of that rivalry, and it's dragged fans, on the whole, into the fight. That's a good thing. We need more of all of this. Hate sells. So, sell it! Grow the game!

Ok Mr. Phil McMahon 😛 

1 minute ago, Karan said:

Ok Mr. Phil McMahon 😛 

First off, gross.

Second, it's true. UFC figured this out years ago. You take all the spectacle and drama of pro wrestling and you mainline it into your sport. Result is explosive fan engagement.

Almost no one watched Conor McGregor fight because they were awed by his technical prowess. They wanted to see the big mouth get punched in the face.

• Keeps it 100 1

There's a reason we're still talking about this and not one or two random highlight reel goals. Those are fun, but they're fleeting. One goal is often lost in the news cycle to the next. "Tom Wilson broke the Rangers" literally changed the course of the entire franchise and lasted through an entire off-season. This is what makes hate such a unique vehicle. It's passion, and hatred runs deep for sports fans.

7 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Only idiot sports fans hate. What possible reasoning is there to hate another sports franchise? Or fans of another team, who are exactly the same as you accept that they live in another city and root for that city’s team?  

They are the enemy. Purely tribal.

13 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Only idiot sports fans hate. What possible reasoning is there to hate another sports franchise? Or fans of another team, who are exactly the same as you accept that they live in another city and root for that city’s team?  

Philly sucks and so do their teams. I don't know why. 

37 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Ask Hughes and Parise why they hate the Rangers.

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

Imagine going to HS with 900 Leaf Fans. 

Leafs fans on Twitter drooling over Boone Jenner laying out Grieg last night, saying the “players are going to teach  him a lesson.”

It was literally an open ice hit, with zero intention whatsoever to the incident in the TOR/OTT game.

Whatever side of the fence you are on, and believe me I do see both sides, but one indisputable fact remains: Leafs fans are the most out of touch fans in the sport. Boone Jenner targeting the guy in defense of Leafs Nation? Come on people…

Edited by RichieNextel305

31 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Leafs fans on Twitter drooling over Boone Jenner laying out Grieg last night, saying the “players are going to teach  him a lesson.”

It was literally an open ice hit, with zero intention whatsoever to the incident in the TOR/OTT game.

Whatever side of the fence you are on, and believe me I do see both sides, but one indisputable fact remains: Leafs fans are the most out of touch fans in the sport. Boone Jenner targeting the guy in defense of Leafs Nation? Come on people…

The players are going to teach him a lesson because he's a pest, not because of what happened in Toronto. I'm sure there was some other shit that happened during the game and that's why he got dealt with.