• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

5 Possible Trade Partners for the Rangers

35 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Meh. You trust Brodzinski but you don't trust Wheeler? Come on man. 3C is the bigger need. I'd prefer both, but I definitely do not want to go into the playoffs with Brodzinski as the 3 C.

I can live with rotating Wheeler,  Lafrenière, Kakko, Vesey,  Goodrow and Brodzinski in any fashion for the RW need. Heck,  you have options in Hartford too in Othmann,  Berard and Sykora 

I can't live with Brodzinski as the only option for 3C. There's no depth at all here or in Hartford. Maybe Nash as the 4 C and slide Goodrow up to 3C? But that seems to be something that isn't on the table. I'd think we'd have seen Goodrow there atleast once this season. 

Yeah, I care more about the performance of the top 6 than what 30 point 3C I have, so maybe agree to disagree on this one. I'd just rather focus my premium assets there vs 3C. It's not some profound trust in Brodzinski. I think he's doing a solid job right now, and has earned a lineup slot. Is it better if it's 4th line? Probably, but if I'm picking a perceived hole in the lineup to fill, I'll focus on the role getting 15 min a night in the top 6 w/ expectations of producing offensively, rather than the role handling 10 min a night on the 3rd line w/ no real expectations for offense.

I suggested getting a depth C in the post you quoted. I'm not ignoring the position. It's just a matter of determining what the priority should be and where the limited assets go. My first choice would have been a top 6 C, like Ek, who could do more than Zibanejad at 5v5, and Zibanejad would be a premium 3C. That's worth having a weak right side. My next choice would be to go get a top 6 RW, like Batherson. If they pull off a RW move, they can follow up with a cheaper move for a Lars Eller type for C depth. There's names that haven't even been talked about because it's not clear yet what teams around the bubble is going to be a seller. Henrique wouldn't even be on my radar.

22 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah, I care more about the performance of the top 6 than what 30 point 3C I have, so maybe agree to disagree on this one. I'd just rather focus my premium assets there vs 3C. It's not some profound trust in Brodzinski. I think he's doing a solid job right now, and has earned a lineup slot. Is it better if it's 4th line? Probably, but if I'm picking a perceived hole in the lineup to fill, I'll focus on the role getting 15 min a night in the top 6 w/ expectations of producing offensively, rather than the role handling 10 min a night on the 3rd line w/ no real expectations for offense.

I suggested getting a depth C in the post you quoted. I'm not ignoring the position. It's just a matter of determining what the priority should be and where the limited assets go. My first choice would have been a top 6 C, like Ek, who could do more than Zibanejad at 5v5, and Zibanejad would be a premium 3C. That's worth having a weak right side. My next choice would be to go get a top 6 RW, like Batherson. If they pull off a RW move, they can follow up with a cheaper move for a Lars Eller type for C depth. There's names that haven't even been talked about because it's not clear yet what teams around the bubble is going to be a seller. Henrique wouldn't even be on my radar.

Ek... Ranked 55th on our 5v5 pts list.... 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Ek... Ranked 55th on our 5v5 pts list.... 

I don't know what list you're referencing, but he's tied for 36th at center (https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=std&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=C&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=2024-01-10&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL).

That kind of move has to do more about the next few seasons anyway. Ek from ages 27-30 likely has more to give and grow. Zibanejad from 31-34 not as much. 

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't know what list you're referencing, but he's tied for 36th at center (https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=std&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=C&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=2024-01-10&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL).

That kind of move has to do more about the next few seasons anyway. Ek from ages 27-30 likely has more to give and grow. Zibanejad from 31-34 not as much. 

You're not filtering for the date range we were discussing. At any rate, it's just a proof point that rankings of that style need to be dissected more than whose number 30 versus whose number 50. 

I agree with you though about make a move for the future. 

28 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I see your point. I just disagree with the importance level. No RW the Rangers can afford are going to be a difference maker. No RW they get is going to get premium PP time. Which limits the suggested icetime you mentioned.

Wheeler has been the most consistent RW for the 20/93 combo and he's only averaging 12-13 minutes. That's not because he's not good. It's because he doesn't get top PP time (I'm not saying he should). Nobody will. PP1 isn't going to be disassembled.

No matter who they get, they are going to play 12-13 minutes. No line driver is going to move the needle on 12 minutes. To make the improvements you're suggesting, the RW brought in has to elevate 20/93. That player isn't available. 

The best shot at improving ES goal production is to create another line that can potentially score, or atleast pin the other team in their own zone. Wear down a defense. I don't see any player out there that is going to elevate 20/93. Tarasenko would be a good fit, but he's not even driving play with shitty Ottawa.  I don't see how Batherson is a line driver, or even available. 

Improve what you can. There's a hole at 3C and it's easier to fill than what is needed at 1RW. 

Overall Center is a more critical component than wing. It's about what position is more important and that's always going to be center ice and defense. 

Mostly because most centers can play Wing but not every wing can play center. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I see your point. I just disagree with the importance level. No RW the Rangers can afford are going to be a difference maker. No RW they get is going to get premium PP time. Which limits the suggested icetime you mentioned.

Wheeler has been the most consistent RW for the 20/93 combo and he's only averaging 12-13 minutes. That's not because he's not good. It's because he doesn't get top PP time (I'm not saying he should). Nobody will. PP1 isn't going to be disassembled.

No matter who they get, they are going to play 12-13 minutes. No line driver is going to move the needle on 12 minutes. To make the improvements you're suggesting, the RW brought in has to elevate 20/93. That player isn't available. 

The best shot at improving ES goal production is to create another line that can potentially score, or atleast pin the other team in their own zone. Wear down a defense. I don't see any player out there that is going to elevate 20/93. Tarasenko would be a good fit, but he's not even driving play with shitty Ottawa.  I don't see how Batherson is a line driver, or even available. 

Improve what you can. There's a hole at 3C and it's easier to fill than what is needed at 1RW. 

I don't agree on the first sentence, but agree on the rest, which is why you look at who can bring a high impact at 5v5 w/o PP time.

Here's a few example names and the quality I have in mind when I say what I'm saying: Drake Batherson, Clayton Keller, Alex Tuch. I think any one of these guys would do big things with and for KZ. I hadn't thought about Keller again since the summer, but now that I'm thinking about it, with Arizona falling out of it and a myriad of other reasons, what a terrific choice he'd be at this point.

I don't agree on the first sentence, but agree on the rest, which is why you look at who can bring a high impact at 5v5 w/o PP time.

Here's a few example names and the quality I have in mind when I say what I'm saying: Drake Batherson, Clayton Keller, Alex Tuch. I think any one of these guys would do big things with and for KZ. I hadn't thought about Keller again since the summer, but now that I'm thinking about it, with Arizona falling out of it and a myriad of other reasons, what a terrific choice he'd be at this point.

I’d love Keller.

But I can’t believe he’d be available and he’d cost a fortune. 
Plus that’s a summer move

Edited by RangersIn7

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

Overall Center is a more critical component than wing. It's about what position is more important and that's always going to be center ice and defense. 

Also because the best centers make their wingers. The best wingers don't tend to make their centers. Panarin notwithstanding.

The game goes through the middle of the ice, especially in the playoffs. If you're weak there, you're weak, period.

5 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I’d love Keller.

But I can’t believe he’d be available and he’d cost a fortune. 
Plus that’s a summer move

A fortune indeed. He's on a great contract, and you have to give to get. He's the kind of player you should be okay losing Perreault in as part of the package going out.

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Just now, Phil said:

Also because the best centers make their wingers. The best wingers don't tend to make their centers. Panarin notwithstanding.

The game goes through the middle of the ice, especially in the playoffs. If you're weak there, you're weak, period.

Yes, absolutely. They should look to see if they can land a top 6 center first.

I don't think landing Henrique for 3C is impacting the game like this.

A fortune indeed. He's on a great contract, and you have to give to get. He's the kind of player you should be okay losing Perreault in as part of the package going out.

I'm always Team Add More Americans, but Keller feels like an explosive trade scenario — the kind you'd see and that would feel more justified if and when the Rangers get snuffed out in the first round again.

You're giving up way more than Perreault for him, too. Coyotes aren't going to just dump him for a bunch of lottery tickets. Lafreniere and/or Miller are probably guaranteed to go in this type of deal.

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yes, absolutely. They should look to see if they can land a top 6 center first.

I don't think landing Henrique for 3C is impacting the game like this.

I don't, either, because as I've said a few times now, I think they need a prototypical 3C, not someone's old and mildly productive on a bad team 2C. Plus, fuck that guy forever.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm always Team Add More Americans, but Keller feels like an explosive trade scenario — the kind you'd see and that would feel more justified if and when the Rangers get snuffed out in the first round again.

You're giving up way more than Perreault for him, too. Coyotes aren't going to just dump him for a bunch of lottery tickets. Lafreniere and/or Miller are probably guaranteed to go in this type of deal.

I'd be a no on Lafreniere, but if it had to involve Miller, then it's a summer thing like @RangersIn7 said.

You think Kakko/Perreault/1st gets some wheels turning if you called them now?

37 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I love these names. But I don't see a world where they're available.  If they were, the cost is most definitely out of the Rangers price range. What are you giving up to get any one of these? You'd have to start with Miller and Othmann. I'm not down with that. 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'd be a no on Lafreniere, but if it had to involve Miller, then it's a summer thing like @RangersIn7 said.

Nope. Maybe it starts negotiations, but it's a quick no if I'm Arizona.

8 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think you’re looking at Miller/Perreault/1st as the starting point 

But again- it’s a summer thing. I don’t think there’s a GM in the league who would even think of doing this deal in season, or at least not past December.

Edited by RangersIn7

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

I love these names. But I don't see a world where they're available.  If they were, the cost is most definitely out of the Rangers price range. What are you giving up to get any one of these? You'd have to start with Miller and Othmann. I'm not down with that. 

Keller would be perfect.

But he’s 25, on a team friendly deal for the next 4-5 seasons, and he’s already established himself as a point per game player.

Arizona has talent coming through the system over the next few seasons.

Keller is the primary piece on offense they’re building around.

Youd have to blow them away with an offer to get him. 

11 hours ago, The Dude said:

I do Miller and Othmann for Keller yesterday.

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

I think you’re looking at Miller/Perreault/1st as the starting point 

But again- it’s a summer thing. I don’t think there’s a GM in the league who would even think of doing this deal in season, or at least not past December.

Done deal for me.

Summer deal or not, the assets have to be saved for this kind of deal. Not burned on a rental.

• Keeps it 100 1

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's an overpayment, IMO. Add a lesser prospect and I'm all for it.

It depends on what Miller’s trade value is. I could see a wide range of values from team to team. Some enamored with him, and some not as much.

Edited by BrooksBurner

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I do Miller and Othmann for Keller yesterday.

I like Keller a lot. 

But isn't he a LW? 

Where does he play? Where does another player that needs the puck on his stick, fit in on this roster? 

His name has come up on the want list for a while now. I really really like the player. I just don't see how he fits or improves what is already here. Mayyyybe if he was a center? But it's more of the same skillset, without the 200' game. 

For the cost it would take to get him and the position he plays, if you're just trading for a warmer body, I'd rather give similar assets and try for a Brady Tkachuk. A guy that brings something that is missing. Not more of the same. 

Keller is fantastic. But with Zibanejad, Panarin, Kreider and Lafrenière already here being soft skilled players..... it'd be like Toronto and Edmonton of the recent past. All skill, no D, no bite.