• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nick Bonino Clears Waivers; Assigned to Hartford

19 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Quick has been a pleasant surprise, but I hope Drury will stop signing 35+ players.  Just stop.

16 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

When you need to fill out your roster, but have limited cap space, that's who's available. lol

It's this^

You'll miss more than you hit, but the value of these 35+ deals is two-fold:

1. They're extremely short term. Almost exclusively one year.

2. Sometimes you get a real home run!

I think this move sucks. Need his faceoff ability and shot blocking for the playoffs. Not his fault he was misplaced as the 3C (after injuries), while Goodrow collects 3.6 to suck on the 4th line. Waive Goodrow.  Waive Jones. Send Brodzinski back to the A. Push Leschyshyn off a cliff. 

If they quickly replace him with Edstrom or Rempe then I'll understand. But please please please don't tell me Leschyshyn is here for that. 

19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Wheeler is out producing Duclair. Pass. 

Duclair plays on the 32nd-ranked offense in the league. Of course his boxcars aren't going to be great.

• TroCheckmark 1

7 minutes ago, Valriera said:

He's got one more point in five more games. If that is called "out producing" then sure, you're correct. 

Duclair is more of a focal point for offense for his team and is probably getting top PP time. Wheeler has mostly been on the 3rd line. 

The point is to get someone that will out produce Wheeler and/or Kakko.

Duclair hit his typical wall after a good start. 1 goal in his last 14.

Unless he's coming here for Boninos used neck protector,  I don't move much, of anything for this guy. 

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Duclair plays on the 32nd-ranked offense in the league. Of course his boxcars aren't going to be great.

He's kind of the reason they're the 32nd ranked offense. 16 points? He's been playing in the top six with either Granlund or Hertl and they are easily doubling him up in points. His analytics stink too. 

He's not good.

But at least he can skate, which Wheeler can't, so that's an improvement. 

Edited by Pete

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

And? He's one of their top offensive players. He's gotta be pulling big PP minutes.

He's kinda WHY they're ranked 32nd. 

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think this move sucks. Need his faceoff ability and shot blocking for the playoffs. Not his fault he was misplaced as the 3C (after injuries), while Goodrow collects 3.6 to suck on the 4th line. Waive Goodrow.  Waive Jones. Send Brodzinski back to the A. Push Leschyshyn off a cliff. 

If they quickly replace him with Edstrom or Rempe then I'll understand. But please please please don't tell me Leschyshyn is here for that. 

Pretty spot on that waiving Bonino and keeping Goodrow at 4c is pointless from a roster management standpoint. Yea he has slowed down but Goodrow has 5 points and is a -7 which is pretty much on point with Bonino (except he's a -12). Rid the roster of both. Save the $$$. 

35 minutes ago, The Dude said:

And? He's one of their top offensive players. He's gotta be pulling big PP minutes.

If this were true, then he's also why florida had a juggernaut year two seasons ago with 58pts in 74 games, but it's not true and we all know it's not.

He is the best player who will be available this season, whose salary we can fit, who can skate, shoot the puck, and play a north-south game. 

We know wheeler is not going to work there, so open to suggestions of who will. You could argue Cuylle, I'd disagree that taking a rookie on your top line to the playoffs is the right approach. You could argue Kakko, I'd disagree again.

It's not like the cost of acquisition is going to be high either. Maybe a second/third round pick. Certainly not a first. 

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's kind of the reason they're the 32nd ranked offense. 16 points? He's been playing in the top six with either Granlund or Hertl and they are easily doubling him up in points. His analytics stink too. 

He's not good.

But at least he can skate, which Wheeler can't, so that's an improvement. 

51 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I mean, I get that. He's not having a very good year, but this is the same player who was a major offensive player for Florida the last two years, including a tremendous playoff run to the Cup Final last season.

As @Valriera notes, when you account for style of play, his specific attributes (speed, speed, speed!), and his salary, I'm having a difficult time envisioning a better candidate as a rental.

I still say that the way to go is a familiar friend in Tarasenko. He played well with Zibanejad and Kreider last year, is a proven playoff performer, plays well away from the puck, is a shooter. Obviously would need to get Ottawa to retain salary. May be tight with the cap but I think it’s still doable. But I really think he’s the most plausible, most safe and best case outcome if we’re looking to upgrade there. 

They gave it a shot and it didn't work so Drury cut bait.  Unfortunately, this really doesn't solve anything as Jake is a downgrade.  Hopefully Drury is working on a trade that will address some of their weaknesses, like physicality or going to the dirty areas and net front. 

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

If this were true, then he's also why florida had a juggernaut year two seasons ago with 58pts in 74 games, but it's not true and we all know it's not.

He is the best player who will be available this season, whose salary we can fit, who can skate, shoot the puck, and play a north-south game. 

We know wheeler is not going to work there, so open to suggestions of who will. You could argue Cuylle, I'd disagree that taking a rookie on your top line to the playoffs is the right approach. You could argue Kakko, I'd disagree again.

It's not like the cost of acquisition is going to be high either. Maybe a second/third round pick. Certainly not a first. 

7 teams in 10 years, wound up on a peanuts contract with the Sharks this summer says its true

If he were good, he'd still be in Florida or on a contender.  This guy always hits a wall or gets injured. If hes dirt cheap fine. What's another low risk addition? 

I'm absolutely fine with plugging Wheeler back in there.  20/93 were playing their best hockey of the season when he was there. The Rangers were rolling  too. This is fact. Whether it was because of him can not be proven. But it also kinda can not be proven that it wasn't because of him. 

Duclair can't stick with a team for a reason. He's on a shitty team, on a cheap contract for a reason.  He is currently sitting at 8 goals ... for a reason.  He's actually on SJs 2nd PP unit. Not the first according to daily faceoff. .. So, that says a bit about where he's at right now. 

I wouldn't be against it for next to nothing.  But he's not a guy I think they should make target #1. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I mean, I get that. He's not having a very good year, but this is the same player who was a major offensive player for Florida the last two years, including a tremendous playoff run to the Cup Final last season.

As @Valriera notes, when you account for style of play, his specific attributes (speed, speed, speed!), and his salary, I'm having a difficult time envisioning a better candidate as a rental.

2 good years with Florida.

But you overlook... Crap contract with SJ. 7 teams in 10 years. 8 goals, can't crack PP1 on SJ. It doesn't look good.  

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I would take him for his skating ability and chance that he catches lightning in a bottle, he can't possibly be worse than Wheeler, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot either. He's not even a volume shooter. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I would take him for his skating ability and chance that he catches lightning in a bottle, he can't possibly be worse than Wheeler, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot either. He's not even a volume shooter. 

Agreed. I do think he'd work well with Zib, but I'm also team get muscle, because the way this team is built, they need that a helluva lot more than another skill-only guy who may or may not make a difference.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Have a feeling if he continues not to produce Kakko is going to be moved for someone like Tarasenko to play with Kreider and Zibanejad.  Wheeler will move to Cuylle and. Chytil’s line.  

And ya know ....I don't hate it. Like the guy and all but it isn't about that. It's about winning and we need someone who can produce there, this year and the next two. I think we could sign Tarasenko post season as well. Kakko and Goodrow to Ottawa for Tarasenko and......a warm body to fill the fourth line role for less than 3+mil.

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

My guess is you won't see Kakko moved anytime soon. His value is low, and the team is not as down on him as the fans are. 

He serves a role here.

Even though he isn’t who we hoped he would be, if Chytil comes back and can stay in the lineup, I am intrigued by a 3rd line of Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko. You have size, scoring and defense on 1 line. Plus the familiarity between Kakko and Chytil can’t hurt.

Side note, I wonder what will happen if Bonino goes unclaimed. Would he report to Hartford? Laviolette didn’t make it sound like that would be happening yesterday. But Bonino is a pro.

Who knows? Should have more answers in a few hours on all of that.

48 minutes ago, Pete said:

My guess is you won't see Kakko moved anytime soon. His value is low, and the team is not as down on him as the fans are. 

He gets shifted around lines a lot, which tells a different story. I don't think Lavi knows what to do with him right now to try and get more out of him.

While his value is probably lower than we would hope, it doesn't mean it can't go lower. His value increasing is not guaranteed. I would wager it's a 50/50 proposition. Cutting bait should be on the table in the right deal, rather than embracing sunk cost.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

He gets shifted around lines a lot, which tells a different story. I don't think Lavi knows what to do with him right now to try and get more out of him.

Disagree.

While his value is probably lower than we would hope, it doesn't mean it can't go lower. His value increasing is not guaranteed. I would wager it's a 50/50 proposition. Cutting bait should be on the table in the right deal, rather than embracing sunk cost.

This is true of any player.