• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Smith Entertainment Group Asks NHL for Expansion to Utah

Just now, Pete said:

I don't know why everybody was so upset at Vegas. Why should an expansion team toil in mediocrity for decades like Columbus and to a degree Nashville outside of fits and starts.

He made the expansion draft to make it a little more equitable.

Kind of a tired narrative regarding the penguins and the knights. If you think that NHL is going to sit there and let teams fold, I don't know what you're thinking. 

The NHL doesn't often deserve credit for things, but it does deserve credit for redefining expansion. Expansion used to mean that you'd sit in abject failure for half a decade; what fanbase would grow and tolerate five years of not winning, and how is that a plan for growing a business? 

The Vegas model allowed them to increase expansion fees by 30% for Seattle, it will let them increase the fee to upwards of one billion for Utah and Atlanta 3.0 (let's be honest, this is happening), and those fanbases will have something to cheer for on day one. That's a good thing for the league's financial health.

• Keeps it 100 1

30 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Vegas that year was basically the Penguins. They were Gary's boys for the year, they wanted that franchise to be successful immediately. That also happened to coincide with sports betting becoming legal at some point. It was a combination of that and mostly luck that dissipated in the Cup Final. Still a cool story, I won't say it wasn't, but there were lot of moving parts to assist in that happening.

Re: Gallant, we know that he's good at getting immediate results and then fizzling out. It happened in Vegas, Florida and here. Although I think he got a bit of a raw deal getting let go in Vegas. A lot of fans were upset at his dismissal. 

They got that unbelievable favorable set of rules in the expansion draft.

And they also got very, very lucky.

No one saw William Karlsson becoming a 40 goal guy that season. Or MAF having the career resurgence he had that season. 

And give GG credit. He did a tremendous job that season. 

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

I'm not upset at them, I just think that's what happened. Because of the draft, expansion teams have been better off. Seattle is competitive after only being in the league for one year. You could say that Columbus, who's been in the league since 2000, still hasn't escaped from mediocrity. Actually, I think their fans would take mediocrity at this point. Save for maybe two or three years here and there, that franchise has basically been a dumpster fire.

Yeah I'm talking about the specific point of Bettman "helping" his "favorite" teams.

There is nothing better for the NHL than when the Rangers are good. They won the lottery 2 years in a row.

It's all about POV. There are 31 other fan bases on forums right now talking about how the Rangers are the darlings of the League. 

Just now, Pete said:

Yeah I'm talking about the specific point of Bettman "helping" his "favorite" teams.

There is nothing better for the NHL than when the Rangers are good. They won the lottery 2 years in a row.

It's all about POV. There are 31 other fan bases on forums right now talking about how the Rangers are the darlings of the League. 

Oh, I know, I've seen it. lol The Rangers were lucky as hell to get the number one overall the year they did. They weren't that great, but they weren't that bad either. So, even if Laf may be disappointing to some, we got something we probably shouldn't have.

• Applause 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Oh, I know, I've seen it. lol The Rangers were lucky as hell to get the number one overall the year they did. They weren't that great, but they weren't that bad either. So, even if Laf may be disappointing to some, we got something we probably shouldn't have.

Ya know....that's a really good point. Our odds for that lottery ball weren't that good. We got lucky there.

3 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

They got that unbelievable favorable set of rules in the expansion draft.

And they also got very, very lucky.

No one saw William Karlsson becoming a 40 goal guy that season. Or MAF having the career resurgence he had that season. 

And give GG credit. He did a tremendous job that season. 

Yeah, most expansion teams don't get a Hall of Fame goalie to start off with. True, perhaps no on expected him to be as good as he was, though. Also, perhaps no one expected Marchessault to be as good as he was, too.

Just now, jsm7302 said:

Ya know....that's a really good point. Our odds for that lottery ball weren't that good. We got lucky there.

Yeah, at the time of the COVID shutdowns, the Rangers were playing some of their best hockey. Igor was up and made an immediate impact, and they were fighting for a playoff spot. Traditional lottery teams are not in that situtation.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I’ve never ever bought the narrative that Bettman wants the Rangers to fail. BS.

Theres 2 teams the league office wants to do well every season: The Rangers and the Leafs.

Those teams drive revenue  like no others.

Obviously there are other teams in big markets that can do the same, but not like those 2.

While it’s true that Bettman doesn’t care for Dolan… which has been common knowledge for decades, he also isn’t stupid and he knows that success in NY is very important. 

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

I’ve never ever bought the narrative that Bettman wants the Rangers to fail. BS.

Theres 2 teams the league office wants to do well every season: The Rangers and the Leafs.

Obviously there are other teams in big markets that can do the same, but not like those 2.

While it’s true that Bettman doesn’t care for Dolan… which has been common knowledge for decades, he also isn’t stupid and he knows that success in NY is very important. 

Yeah, there's definitely a rift with Dolan, which I can understand because he's awful. He doesn't hate the Rangers, though. Although, he is from Long Island, so can you really be sure? lol

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, most expansion teams don't get a Hall of Fame goalie to start off with. True, perhaps no on expected him to be as good as he was, though. Also, perhaps no one expected Marchessault to be as good as he was, too.

Marchessault had a 30 goal season the year prior. Florida did not want to give him up. They just had to. 

I didn’t have issue with the rules that year. It doesn’t have to be the norm where expansion teams are awful for years at the outset. 

I remember when SJ made the playoffs and beat Detroit in their 3rd season. It really made that team viable there.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, there's definitely a rift with Dolan, which I can understand because he's awful. He doesn't hate the Rangers, though. Although, he is from Long Island, so can you really be sure? lol

Seems to be a common theme amongst people in general and not solely a Bettman problem.

Marchessault had a 30 goal season the year prior. Florida did not want to give him up. They just had to. 

I didn’t have issue with the rules that year. It doesn’t have to be the norm where expansion teams are awful for years at the outset. 

I remember when SJ made the playoffs and beat Detroit in their 3rd season. It really made that team viable there.

It was a case where an expansion team was fortunate to get another good player, though. Sometimes you never know. Look at McCann getting 40 last year for Seattle.

Yeah, that was huge for San Jose. They were mostly bad for awhile still, but that was still a monumental victory.

Edited by Sharpshooter

Just now, jsm7302 said:

Seems to be a common theme amongst people in general and not solely a Bettman problem.

Yeah.

Dolan isn’t the world’s most likable guy. Not popular amongst other owners in the NBA or the NHL. Not well liked by league officials in either league. Bettman doesn’t like him. Stern was not a fan either when he was running the NBA. And I’d guess Silver isn’t too fond of him either.

9 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's definitely not just a Bettman problem. lol

Not at all. 

I don’t this the Bettman-Dolan thing is as extreme as say, Al Davis and Pete Rozelle were back in the 70’s and 80’s.

But it’s not good

Bettman has said that 32 teams is enough for a while.  I hope he sticks to that.  How many team should there be?  100?  How many is too many?  I think we're there already.  54 year wait will be nothing in the future with all the teams that never win it.  

The expansion fee would be north of $650M, which is what the Kraken owners paid to join the NHL.

That's a bit of an incentive for the other owners to admit another franchise.

On 1/28/2024 at 4:00 PM, Br4d said:

The expansion fee would be north of $650M, which is what the Kraken owners paid to join the NHL.

That's a bit of an incentive for the other owners to admit another franchise.

$1B has been thrown around as the number or very close to it anyway. 

10 minutes ago, siddious said:

$1B has been thrown around as the number or very close to it anyway. 

That was for the sale of an existing team, I think it would be hard to get that for an expansion.

Especially in a city that has to build a rink. I would think it's 750 to 850m 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

That was for the sale of an existing team, I think it would be hard to get that for an expansion.

Especially in a city that has to build a rink. I would think it's 750 to 850m 

I'll add a decent wrinkle here - SLC wants to build this rink anyway. It's going to be a centerpiece of the city's bid for the 2034 Olympics.

4 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I'll add a decent wrinkle here - SLC wants to build this rink anyway. It's going to be a centerpiece of the city's bid for the 2034 Olympics.

Yes, that's a known fact, but that money has to come from somewhere. 

On 1/28/2024 at 2:40 PM, RangersIn7 said:

Let’s not do anything to make wealthy Mormon’s any wealthier.

Wow.  Can you imagine substituting "Jews" or "Muslims" for "Mormon's"?  Mormons were probably the most persecuted religious group in American history.  That's how they ended up in Utah.