• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Wait and See

Right now the Rangers are struggling. We all see it and hope somehow they figure out what needs to be done to fix their problem. Making quick trades generally is not a solution. The Rangers have enough talent on this team to figure out a way out of this struggle. The coach will figure it out. If 2 months from now the Rangers have dropped 7-10 spots in the overall standing's then it might be time for some changes. I hope they don’t make the same mistake last year it distorted the chemistry. Let’s be patient see what occurs over the next 2 months. Until then Let’s Go Rangers!

Ranger Ed  

One thing they can control and change without making any trades is a commitment to bringing up their "battle level" or whatever you want to call it AND committing to playing hard every minute of every shift they get for at least 60 minutes every game.  You can't be at your best every game, no one can, but you can give it all you have every minute of every game and I don't think that is the case with several players.  Why are the Flyers on their heels right now?  The Rangers have 5x's the Flyers talent, but Torts has the Flyers breaking their asses every shift of every game, or they get sat down no matter who they think they are.  I'm not saying the Rangers needs Torts, but they need more of that accountability in my opinion.  

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Laviolette needs to make some changes even if Drury doesn't make any.

Minutes are a hockey player's lifeblood and if he sees people slacking off or playing like crap in front of Igor and Quick he has the ability to cut into their minutes and give younger more consistently competitive guys more time on the ice.

I've said it before, you can have Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour, Herb Brooks, or any other great coach behind the bench of this team. They are old, slow, and not physical. If they fall behind, it is usually game over. Some games it looks like they do not give a crap, and just go through the motions. If the goaltender struggles like he did last season and this one, they will lose more games than they win. Obviously the great start was fools gold, but the thing that blows my mind is everything changed for the worse when Fox returned from injury. That is when they started to go down the toilet. Perhaps that is just coincidence or me projecting, but if you check the record you will see that is what happened. I have lost interest in this team because they have no heart, no guts, and might not even be a .500 playoff team. Sorry, I have learned from my NY Jets fandom that I can no longer bear the constant losing, it affects my mental health too much LOL.

Edited by ASH1962

Fox came back and Kakko got hurt and the season went south.

Not Fox's fault, more likely a combination of things including the fact the Rangers were getting ridiculously lucky in 1 goal games and comeback wins.

The answer for the Rangers is to recommit to the hard work they were doing at the start of the season and hope the breaks come their way.  They were a good team at the start of the season, just not the league leaders they looked like until the injuries started.

I'd rather moves be made now. Gives them time to tinker with chemistry if a substantial player is brought in. Hated last year because they made a solid move by bringing in Tarasenko,  then sat players to get cap compliant in order to bring in Kane, who wasn't a fit for what was missing. Then ot was line juggling for a month as everyone sat around waiting for Kane to be Kane. 

Do it now, get it over with. Don't wait to the last minute and hope it works itself out. 

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'd rather moves be made now. Gives them time to tinker with chemistry if a substantial player is brought in. Hated last year because they made a solid move by bringing in Tarasenko,  then sat players to get cap compliant in order to bring in Kane, who wasn't a fit for what was missing. Then ot was line juggling for a month as everyone sat around waiting for Kane to be Kane. 

Do it now, get it over with. Don't wait to the last minute and hope it works itself out. 

You're still thinking rental.  If they're going to make a move now it should be a real trade to *change* the mix both in the locker room and on the ice.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

You're still thinking rental.  If they're going to make a move now it should be a real trade to *change* the mix both in the locker room and on the ice.

I'm thinking make a trade. I'm not thinking what type. 

I'm for a rental if it makes sense.  I'd rather not give up more assets to put us directly back in this position at seasons end. But if that's all that out there, whatever.  

I just don't want to wait till the deadline as they keep dropping in the standings. Then they'll have the same excuse as last year. "Not enough time to build chemistry", because they had to worry more about holding on to a playoff spot.  They'll do a top six carousel of moving the same 3 forwards around the top 6 to shake things up nightly. 

They need a move. Now.  

I agree they need a move now.  However a cosmetic move that just changes things in the top 6 by adding a RW as a rental isn't going to solve the problem we've had for the last 3+ seasons.

Over the last 20+ games this team has looked just like the team that lost to the Devils last season.  They show up when they feel like it and they do well when they get power play opportunities in bunches.

Under normal circumstances a coach can deal with that by shaking up the lineup and giving players who might be more productive increased minutes in which to do that.  This team has too many NMC's that have significant term left to be able to do that effectively.  It has too many vested vets who are essentially impervious to coaching corrections.

Something has to give and a rental is not it because here we are again after two seasons of rentals.

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I agree they need a move now.  However a cosmetic move that just changes things in the top 6 by adding a RW as a rental isn't going to solve the problem we've had for the last 3+ seasons.

Over the last 20+ games this team has looked just like the team that lost to the Devils last season.  They show up when they feel like it and they do well when they get power play opportunities in bunches.

Under normal circumstances a coach can deal with that by shaking up the lineup and giving players who might be more productive increased minutes in which to do that.  This team has too many NMC's that have significant term left to be able to do that effectively.  It has too many vested vets who are essentially impervious to coaching corrections.

Something has to give and a rental is not it because here we are again after two seasons of rentals.

You're making a lot of generalizations and blanket statements.

You simply can't say a rental won't help until you know who the rental is. A guy like Vatrano (volume shooter), on the top line, would make a big difference. So would a legitimate third line center. Brodz is just not an NHL player. When he's out there at best you're getting a low event shift, and at worst your pinned in your own end for the whole time. 

Edited by Pete

4 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Except that it’s likely moot cause a major roster change isn’t coming.

We’ve seen them play well.

We know they can do it.

Despite the result, they seemed to move back towards that last night.

If a major shakeup is needed, you do that in the summer. 

I don't think you can wait until summer.  This is Panarin's career year and we're wasting it.  It's likely Quick's last hurrah and we're wasting it.  It's Laviolette's best chance to break through the Ranger business as usual and we're wasting it.

9 hours ago, Br4d said:

I'm more concerned with now, rather than down the road. As long as the cost of a rental isn't ridiculous, I'm totally fine with it.  There probably isn't much out there at this moment to make a move for the future. 

Of course I'd prefer a long term solution.  Just seems very unlikely based on what the Rangers have to offer up. 

I mean, there's Zegras...  But he's kinda more of the same.   

18 hours ago, Br4d said:

I don't think you can wait until summer.  This is Panarin's career year and we're wasting it.  It's likely Quick's last hurrah and we're wasting it.  It's Laviolette's best chance to break through the Ranger business as usual and we're wasting it.

I get that.

But it’s much harder to find and make the kind of deal you’re referring to in season. So many GM’s and organizations just don’t want to make it until summer. For a host of reasons. Cap implications are easier to navigate. You can almost always get more teams involved. Better deals are available to you.

The damn thing is we have talent. The fall run might have included a stretch of 'luck' but you know the adage, "You make your luck." We got comfortable. Complacent. Lazy. It's a natural byproduct of winning often and 'luckily' to take your foot off the gas.  The team needs mirrors affixed to every locker cubicle. This isn't hard with the skillset this team has (collectively) but what we don't have at the moment is the mental fortitude to follow through.

32 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

The damn thing is we have talent. The fall run might have included a stretch of 'luck' but you know the adage, "You make your luck." We got comfortable. Complacent. Lazy. It's a natural byproduct of winning often and 'luckily' to take your foot off the gas.  The team needs mirrors affixed to every locker cubicle. This isn't hard with the skillset this team has (collectively) but what we don't have at the moment is the mental fortitude to follow through.

It gets extremely hard for the top 6 to score when the bottom 6 does literally nothing. They can't be in "God Mode" every night, the other team's defenses just key in on them and then there's nothing in the bottom 6 but clock killers.

That's why everyone is fully erect about Cuylle's game last night and I think it's absolutely ridiculous that people see it as "Oh man, Cullye had to win the game"...Bullshit. I see it as "It's about time the bottom 6 showed up."

56 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I was really hoping to get like 30 or so points each from Goodrow and Bonino at least, but they might get half of that. lol They each have only one goal and we're over 40 games in. Oof.

Goody maybe was a reasonable expectation, but not from Bonino. 

Goody problem is usage. 70% D-Zone starts is not a recipe for chipping it on the offense.