• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trevor Zegras' Name Is 'Out There'

Zegras is a really skilled guy who's not really a hockey player. A lot like Robbie Schremp. 

He also doesn't really help this team at all. 6 foot 185, soft and poor defensively. 

• Bullseye 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Zegras is a really skilled guy who's not really a hockey player. A lot like Robbie Schremp. 

He also doesn't really help this team at all. 6 foot 185, soft and poor defensively. 

What do you mean? He sounds like the perfect ranger 

edit: also he got hurt tonight so I’m sure that throws a wrench into things 

Edited by siddious

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Chytil + Schneider + conditional pick for Zegras + Lyubushkin. Let's go!

Chytil's mush head doesn't carry the value anymore unfortunately. What a shame.

I know you were being semi-sarcastic or maybe even fully sarcastic, but he'd be a good piece for real. Anaheim stinks and it's tough to look too good. The Rangers being players here would depend on if Anaheim requires a young C back or not. The Rangers have zero center depth in the pipeline. Key for Zegras straight up is about spot on value wise in my opinion. I make that trade yesterday.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Key for Zegras would be god awful.

Zegras doesn't stink because Anaheim stinks, it's the opposite. Anaheim stinks because players like Zegras are shitting the bed. 

Key stinks at defense, so maybe that’s part of why the Rangers stink at defense.

Zegras is 22. Lots of talent. Unbelievable opportunity to grab a C who can be a PPG or better in his prime.

Edited by BrooksBurner

20 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Key stinks at defense, so maybe that’s part of why the Rangers stink at defense.

Zegras is 22. Lots of talent. Unbelievable opportunity to grab a C who can be a PPG or better in his prime.

Life is about choices. I'd take the gamble. Why not? Could pay dividends if all works out.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I was just going to post this. Schremp reincarnation. Doubt he'd be a fit in this organization given the phase the team's current in and the type of system they're trying to implement. I mean never say never, but would take a heck of a lot of work. 

Edited by Karan

Fucking Pass!

Hard No

Bite Me....whatever you wanna call it...I'm not a fan.  I watched this guy play and he skates like he could give a rat's ass.  This guy makes Kreider look like he CARES!

We can do much better than this!

Edited by Ozzy

16 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Rob Schremp had 54 career points in 114 games across multiple seasons. Zegras had 61 points his rookie year, and 65 his sophomore year, at ages 20 and 21. There is zero comparison here.

Maybe ask yourself why the Ducks, who are rebuilding, are trying to trade such a player. 

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

Maybe ask yourself why the Ducks, who are rebuilding, are trying to trade such a player. 

They are dealing from a position of strength. They have their '21 3rd overall pick Mason McTavish and '23 2nd overall pick Leo Carlsson on ELC deals. Both are projected top 6 players like Zegras and they need minutes to develop. The Ducks have been a basement team for the last 6 or 7 years and they stink again this year. It's reasonable to trade a $6M center for a similar quality player at a different position, and go with the cheaper and younger guys at center.

Key for Zegras in the offseason makes too much sense. They can pivot off Chytil, re-sign Gus, and get another quality LD who knows how to play in his own zone. Solves a lot of problems.

Edited by BrooksBurner

40 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

They are dealing from a position of strength. They have their '21 3rd overall pick Mason McTavish and '23 2nd overall pick Leo Carlsson on ELC deals. Both are projected top 6 players like Zegras and they need minutes to develop. The Ducks have been a basement team for the last 6 or 7 years and they stink again this year. It's reasonable to trade a $6M center for a similar quality player at a different position, and go with the cheaper and younger guys at center.

Key for Zegras in the offseason makes too much sense. They can pivot off Chytil, re-sign Gus, and get another quality LD who knows how to play in his own zone. Solves a lot of problems.

Nah. They didn't want to pay him because they see something they don't like. Now they're shopping him.

If I'm giving up Miller it's to get a lock of a premier player, and Zegras ain't it.

Sure, it solves a problem, just doesn't do a good job of solving it. It's an EA Sports trade. "Hey these guys are both rated 85!" 

I like the kid a lot, just not sure where he would fit on this roster. not that we'd have the cap room for him anyway.

for the price we'd have to pay for him, he'd be battling between being a 2nd-3rd line center. no reason to give up a big haul for a guy

Trochek has a 12 team No Move Clause and I have to think Anaheim is on that list. Plus he's playing lights no lately and I doubt they want to move the guy anyway.

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Sure, it solves a problem, just doesn't do a good job of solving it. It's an EA Sports trade. "Hey these guys are both rated 85!" 

This is correct. We need a center but this player is not plan A. I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up happening though just because you sometimes wind up with plan C or D and we definitely do have a center depth problem right now that we need to fix if we have any hope of winning this year. 

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Nah. They didn't want to pay him because they see something they don't like. Now they're shopping him.

If I'm giving up Miller it's to get a lock of a premier player, and Zegras ain't it.

It's about quality for quality, and need for need. Chytil is high risk moving forward because of the position he plays. The Rangers cannot plug and play at center in future seasons. It's too premium of a position.

Miller is not a premier player. He's not getting you one.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

It's about quality for quality, and need for need. Chytil is high risk moving forward because of the position he plays. The Rangers cannot plug and play at center in future seasons. It's too premium of a position.

Miller is not a premier player. He's not getting you one.

Of course Chytil can't be trusted. But as of right now he's on the team and so is his cap hit. They can't use LTIR like it's free cap space, because it isn't. That would be the opposite of weaponizing cap space. Zegras makes 6 million, Miller 3.8. then you have to sign Gustafson and there's no way he's going to take less than three or four. You also have to resign Lindgren. The math isn't really there without doing backflips and cartwheels. 

Quite frankly Miller's valued around the league much higher than you think.

He's a 40 points D man with no power play time.... I don't think you realize how valuable that is. A lot of his defensive lapses could be coached or solved by pairing him with somebody not named Jacob Trouba whose definition of defense is blocking a shot or blasting someone who is vulnerable. 

But the shit kicker for me is the suggestion to backfill him with Gustafson... Who over the course of 82 games you will find many more holes, and he's no longer developing. 

Like I said, there's a reason they're shopping Zegras. Despite the points he put up last season, everybody in the organization including the player were unhappy with his game. Something happened during these holdouts with him and Drysdale that turn the team off. I'm not really interested in that, at least not for Miller. 

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 1

53 minutes ago, Pete said:

Of course Chytil can't be trusted. But as of right now he's on the team and so is his cap hit. They can't use LTIR like it's free cap space, because it isn't. That would be the opposite of weaponizing cap space. Zegras makes 6 million, Miller 3.8. then you have to sign Gustafson and there's no way he's going to take less than three or four. You also have to resign Lindgren. The math isn't really there without doing backflips and cartwheels. 

Quite frankly Miller's valued around the league much higher than you think.

He's a 40 points D man with no power play time.... I don't think you realize how valuable that is. A lot of his defensive lapses could be coached or solved by pairing him with somebody not named Jacob Trouba whose definition of defense is blocking a shot or blasting someone who is vulnerable. 

But the shit kicker for me is the suggestion to backfill him with Gustafson... Who over the course of 82 games you will find many more holes, and he's no longer developing. 

Like I said, there's a reason they're shopping Zegras. Despite the points he put up last season, everybody in the organization including the player were unhappy with his game. Something happened during these holdouts with him and Drysdale that turn the team off. I'm not really interested in that, at least not for Miller. 

Source: “Trust me bro”

I don’t see how a 22 y.o. multi-60+ pt center, is somehow devaluing Miller. Why is a 40 pt dman with room to grow worth more than a 60 pt center with room to grow? Centers are historically the most valuable position.

We heard the same arguments about avoiding William Nylander by the way. Soft. Selfish holding out. Only a 60 point player. Now he’s a franchise player. We heard how selfish Jack Eichel was and what a malcontent he was when he was on the block. Now he’s a Cup winner. Zegras is 22. Short of major off ice issues (drugs, abuse, etc), I don’t really care why a poorly run franchise wants to trade him, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see the organizational depth at that position either and the desire to trade from a position of strength.

Edited by BrooksBurner