• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

When Do We Start the Clock on Goodrow?

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Freeing up $3.6M isn’t the difference between this being a Cup contender or not

Freeing up $3.6 million is the difference between being able to trade for actual NHL players to bolster your lineup at the deadline and having Jonny Brodzinski as your third-line center.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Freeing up $3.6 million is the difference between being able to trade for actual NHL players to bolster your lineup at the deadline and having Jonny Brodzinski as your third-line center.

They aren't a 3rd line player away.

Barclay brings a lot of what is needed for top Stanley Cup contending team.  His grit and toughness helps teams get to the finish line and I can see why he’s made a lot of teams a lot better.  I think Barclay has made the Rangers better but he’s absolutely not worth the money they are paying him.  He’s essentially a 4th line plugger who is starting to show his age.  This is likely his last year with the team and I would not be surprised if they trade him/package him with some appealing younger player at the deadline for a Right Winger to play with Mica and Kreider.

Edited by JHS

4 minutes ago, JHS said:

Barclay brings a lot of what is needed for top Stanley Cup contending team.  His grit and toughness helps teams get to the finish line and I can see why he’s made a lot of teams a lot better.  I think Barclay has made the Rangers better but he’s absolutely not worth the money they are paying him.  He’s essentially a 4th line plugger who is starting to show his age.  This is likely his last year with the team and I would not be surprised if they trade him at the deadline for a Right Winger to play with Mica and Kreider.

Still waiting for that toughness. This guys "intangibles " were totally exaggerated. 

This guy was supposed to help set pace and tone of a game. Hes JAG. Has been since he got here.

The plan was to create a disruptive checking line like the Isles had 3 years ago. Grunts that could skate, play hard and sometimes be on the ice against other teams top lines. He has failed miserably. Rooney was a more effective checking center than this guy. 

I'd waive him tomorrow in hopes someone picked him up. If not... Message sent. It makes no difference if he's here or not. 

39 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Still waiting for that toughness. This guys "intangibles " were totally exaggerated. 

This guy was supposed to help set pace and tone of a game. Hes JAG. Has been since he got here.

The plan was to create a disruptive checking line like the Isles had 3 years ago. Grunts that could skate, play hard and sometimes be on the ice against other teams top lines. He has failed miserably. Rooney was a more effective checking center than this guy. 

I'd waive him tomorrow in hopes someone picked him up. If not... Message sent. It makes no difference if he's here or not. 

Except his line with Vesey and pitlick has been exactly that…

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 hours ago, Valriera said:

Except his line with Vesey and pitlick has been exactly that…

Goodrow is a minus 4. Pitlick is minus 1. They bring nothing offensively. 

They're not disruptive, they're not annoying,  they're not tenacious. Vesey is the only redeeming player on that line as he gets a hard working goal every 5- 8 games. 

No team gameplans for that line. They're not very good. Especially of late. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

They're not disruptive, they're not annoying,  they're not tenacious. Vesey is the only redeeming player on that line as he gets a hard working goal every 5- 8 games. 

No team game plans for any third checking line. There are many reasons to not like Goodrows price tag but this isn’t one of them. 

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

This is a totally unfair take-  he's plenty tough and shows it often.  He stands up for teammates and will often be the one to stir it up when needed.

Comparing what he was "supposed to be" to "what he is" and saying that he was supposed to be more than what he is makes no sense.  He's exactly the player he was supposed to be- a bottom 6 quality piece to a team about to take a leap forward.  He was never gonna be a 50 point producer and he was never going to be a contributing offensive presence.  This "fit" and how he has contributed to a "disruptive checking line" argument also make little sense.  Would you not say that the lines Barclay play's on are effective?  I mean some NHL people claim the Rangers have one of the best and most effective 4th lines in the league.  Barclay's line now with Cuylle and Johnny B certainly don't look terrible( and that with an NHL rookie on it and a journeymen player alongside him.)  That's not an accident.

It's clear you don't like Barclay- I could see why you think he's over paid( he is) but to say he's not effective and has failed miserably is literally hyperbolic. 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

"Team's soft and can't defend."

"Let's trade our grittiest forward (pound for pound) and dismantle the first cohesive checking line the team has had in years."

It'd be really cool if our "grittiest forward"..... played gritty.  

Bonino can replace Goodrow instantly. 

2 hours ago, Valriera said:

No team game plans for any third checking line. There are many reasons to not like Goodrows price tag but this isn’t one of them. 

Teams game planned for that Isles line.  Teams game planned for platlyers lije Jordan Staal.

Teams game plan for nasty forwards that play physical. That's supposed to be Goodrow. It isn't.

Goodrows line is supposed to be a defensive checking line. It isn't. 

I can keep going. The line doesn't live up to the hype. What's its point? 

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Goodrow starts more than 70% his shifts in he DZ against the other team's top line.  -4 isn't bad.

Wheeler starts 57% in the OZ.  -6 in the last 4 games.

Cory Booker GIF by GIPHY News

1 hour ago, JHS said:

This is a totally unfair take-  he's plenty tough and shows it often.  He stands up for teammates and will often be the one to stir it up when needed.

Comparing what he was "supposed to be" to "what he is" and saying that he was supposed to be more than what he is makes no sense.  He's exactly the player he was supposed to be- a bottom 6 quality piece to a team about to take a leap forward.  He was never gonna be a 50 point producer and he was never going to be a contributing offensive presence.  This "fit" and how he has contributed to a "disruptive checking line" argument also make little sense.  Would you not say that the lines Barclay play's on are effective?  I mean some NHL people claim the Rangers have one of the best and most effective 4th lines in the league.  Barclay's line now with Cuylle and Johnny B certainly don't look terrible( and th at with an NHL rookie on it and a journeymen player alongside him.)  That's not an accident.

It's clear you don't like Barclay- I could see why you think he's over paid( he is) but to say he's not effective and has failed miserably is literally hyperbolic. 

He's minus 4.  Hes not very effective. Even when hecwas putting up 30 points, he was pretty useless.  Not a noticeable player like he was with Tampa. This team has needed a top 9 RW since he's been here and he hasn’t been able to solidify such a spot. Nor really fill in in a top 6 role. 

He hasn't changed the pace or energy of one single game this year.

Can we name one single example of how tough hes played? Only spot I can recall was him blocking shots like a mad man 2 years ago in the playoffs, which was his best run as a Ranger.  Bonino can do that and does. 

He's not here to put up 50 points.  But he is here to be a piece that can be slid up and down the lineup. He's here to be physical. He's done neither. He is easily replaced by players already on the roster. Bonino and Pitlick are Goodrow.  

5 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Goodrow starts more than 70% his shifts in he DZ against the other team's top line.  -4 isn't bad.

Wheeler starts 57% in the OZ.  -6 in the last 4 games.

Cory Booker GIF by GIPHY News

I forgot we were comparing a scoring forward to a defensive forward for +/-.  Makes sense.  So you. 

Might as well compare him to Zac Jones while you're at it. 

Good job. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I forgot we were comparing a scoring forward to a defensive forward for +/-.  Makes sense.  So you. 

Might as well compare him to Zac Jones while you're at it. 

Good job. 

A - You expect the defensive forward to be perfect?

B - If the scoring forward is a minus player he isn't scoring enough.

14 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

A - You expect the defensive forward to be perfect?

B - If the scoring forward is a minus player he isn't scoring enough.

Excellent take. Panarin from the first 20 or so games would like to have a word with you about +/-  You know where most of his starts are too. 

Oh Lafrenière is a minus 5 too. On the hottest line in hockey. Minus 5. 

But.. yeah. 

Edited by The Dude

13 hours ago, Phil said:

Would they actually free up that much?

Id imagine it’s a real possibility that if they did move him, they’d have to retain salary to do it.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

He's minus 4.  Hes not very effective. Even when hecwas putting up 30 points, he was pretty useless.  Not a noticeable player like he was with Tampa. This team has needed a top 9 RW since he's been here and he hasn’t been able to solidify such a spot. Nor really fill in in a top 6 role. 

He hasn't changed the pace or energy of one single game this year.

Can we name one single example of how tough hes played? Only spot I can recall was him blocking shots like a mad man 2 years ago in the playoffs, which was his best run as a Ranger.  Bonino can do that and does. 

He's not here to put up 50 points.  But he is here to be a piece that can be slid up and down the lineup. He's here to be physical. He's done neither. He is easily replaced by players already on the roster. Bonino and Pitlick are Goodrow.  

How then did the Rangers believe he was worth multiple million dollars?  You talk of this guy like he's the modern day version of the beeper...  I just think Barclay plays the type of game that sets a tone for the team, has the respect of his teammates and has good insight/perspective on what it take to win.  Is that worth his contract- yes if it brings a cup.- no it is not if it does not.

It's that simple.  If he helps bring a cup he is worth it.