• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

When Do We Start the Clock on Goodrow?

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

He's not paid to score points, and he's not used as a guy who gets a fair shake at getting them. He's got a 29% OZ start rate, and he's frequently put behind the 8 ball and used that way so Panarin can have an 85% OZ start rate. Last year he had a 45% OZ start rate and Panarin had a 50% start rate. I think that's just good coaching.

We know Goodrow is a 30 point player when he's not used as a complete punching bag for the good of the rest of the team. How he is used has changed dramatically, which makes the point evaluation pretty worthless.

What were his OZ starts in Tampa? I know he's not here to score,  but his play has been really really meh this season. I'm not really expecting 30 points,  but I am expecting solid d, grit, spunk and just an overall good feeling when he is on the ice. I feel like his line is mostly always pinned in their own zone. If not for Vesey,  there would be zero pucks going the other way. 

Guy kinda sucks. Wish he didn't.  Wish he could play up the lineup as anticipated. Even last year and the year prior, he really didn't. Game here, game there. Where the hell did he get those 30 points?  

I'm kinda saying that he's better than this. But we haven't seen it this year. 

I was never a fan, but I do question why he hasn't been plugged in as RW1, or RW on line 3 prior to injuries. That's how I remember Tampa using him. That's part of what Drury paid for. 

Laviolette has me scratching my head with his choices on how he uses grit guys and Othmann. Heck. What's he doing with Miller? That's its own topic though. 

• Phil changed the title to When Do We Start the Clock on Goodrow?
25 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What were his OZ starts in Tampa? I know he's not here to score,  but his play has been really really meh this season. I'm not really expecting 30 points,  but I am expecting solid d, grit, spunk and just an overall good feeling when he is on the ice. I feel like his line is mostly always pinned in their own zone. If not for Vesey,  there would be zero pucks going the other way. 

Guy kinda sucks. Wish he didn't.  Wish he could play up the lineup as anticipated. Even last year and the year prior, he really didn't. Game here, game there. Where the hell did he get those 30 points?  

I'm kinda saying that he's better than this. But we haven't seen it this year. 

I was never a fan, but I do question why he hasn't been plugged in as RW1, or RW on line 3 prior to injuries. That's how I remember Tampa using him. That's part of what Drury paid for. 

Laviolette has me scratching my head with his choices on how he uses grit guys and Othmann. Heck. What's he doing with Miller? That's its own topic though. 

2020–21: 36.1 oZS, 63.9 dZS

2019-20: 41.1 / 57.9

If you look at his career, he's grown into a deeper defensive role over time (scroll down to NHL Possession Metrics)

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/goodrba01.html

1 hour ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

The rebuild went out the window when the Rangers got Kakko and then Panarin signed. At that point, it was business as usual.

I'm sorry but that's just not true. This is a list of players tonight that 

entered the NHL as Rangers. 

Vesey

Cullye

Kreider 

Fox

Lindgren

Miller

Schneider

Jones

Lafreniere

Kakko

Shesterkin

That's like half the roster. And the rebuild started acquiring 23-year-old Zib for Brassard. 

Business as usual would have been signing a bunch of past prime guys along with Panarin. 

I'm not saying everything has been perfect, but I'm saying it's been far from BAU. 

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

2020–21: 36.1 oZS, 63.9 dZS

2019-20: 41.1 / 57.9

If you look at his career, he's grown into a deeper defensive role over time (scroll down to NHL Possession Metrics)

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/goodrba01.html

Yeah, so it was pretty steady, and it has dropped by a big margin this year.

Maybe this changes with some guys coming back from injury. With no actual replacement for Chytil,  Goodrow really should be pushed up to 3 C with Cuylle and (ahem).. Wheeler. Bonino should have stayed as 4C.