• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#37) Rangers vs. Chicago Blackhawks — Let's Go Brennan

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Must be his all-bread diet. 

Well, Panarin is having his best season by quite a bit and you have to give his linemates some credit.

Also, shoot the puck Artemi!  Shoot the puck!

Combination of those two factors is making big waves.

12 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Well, Panarin is having his best season by quite a bit and you have to give his linemates some credit.

Also, shoot the puck Artemi!  Shoot the puck!

Combination of those two factors is making big waves.

Look of people can say they're not sold on Panarin until playoffs, I can say I'm not sold on Lafreniere until he can do it without Panarin. 

Like, PP2 is trash, Lafreniere included. Granted a small sample size but it's not like he's dominant or even noticeable on those shifts. 

• VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Look of people can say they're not sold on Panarin until playoffs, I can say I'm not sold on Lafreniere until he can do it without Panarin. 

Like, PP2 is trash, Lafreniere included. Granted a small sample size but it's not like he's dominant or even noticeable on those shifts. 

Our team power play ranking and goals scored is almost exclusively from PP1 - players on PP2 are not a cohesive unit.  It's like the coaching staff threw together the best offensive players not on PP1 without giving a thought to cohesion as a unit.  Skill sets just haven't been compatible.  I wish they would just simplify and fire shots on net with screens - they aren't capable of emulating the passing on PP1.

Edited by fletch
typo

21 minutes ago, fletch said:

Our team power play ranking and goals scored is almost exclusively from PP1 - players on PP2 are not a cohesive unit.  It's like the coaching staff threw together the best offensive players not on PP1 without giving a thought to cohesion as a unit.  Skill sets just haven't been compatible.  I wish they would just simplify and fire shots on net with screens - they aren't capable of emulating the passing on PP1.

💯

Although I can understand why the coaching staff doesn't pay much attention to it because PP1 is automatic. But they don't even have a center on PP2... I guess they view Wheeler as the puck distributor and let's face it Vesey is just there as a reward for his even strength play. He's not at all effective on the power play. 

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

18 minutes ago, fletch said:

PP2 is not good. We can talk all we want about how they get no ice time, but that’s the way it should be.

PP1 is outstanding and PP2 isn’t effective. 
As for the unit and who should be on it and their cohesion, IDK.

• Keeps it 100 1

• Phil unpinned this topic
6 hours ago, Pete said:

💯

Although I can understand why the coaching staff doesn't pay much attention to it because PP1 is automatic. But they don't even have a center on PP2... I guess they view Wheeler as the puck distributor and let's face it Vesey is just there as a reward for his even strength play. He's not at all effective on the power play. 

Standard for most teams is to give PP1 about a minute, unless there is continual puck possession in the offensive zone - then PP1 gets to stay until puck is cleared, and PP2 gets worked in or subbed in on a faceoff.  

I'm drawing a blank on teams, but I've seen PP1 stay on ice until scoring, and line changes are only done when power play is ending with no goal.  More likely to happen in the third trailing by a goal and when PP1 is much better than PP2.  I'm thinking Avalanches and Oilers where they have fuck you level skill on PP1 and there's a drop-off to PP2.

For the Rangers, the long-term solution is to get a coherent PP2.  In the short term in third periods when we're down I'd rather keep PP1 on the ice and risk them getting tired and giving a short-handed goal.  A tired PP1 is more likely to score than PP2, IMO.

• VINNY! 1

59 minutes ago, fletch said:

Standard for most teams is to give PP1 about a minute, unless there is continual puck possession in the offensive zone - then PP1 gets to stay until puck is cleared, and PP2 gets worked in or subbed in on a faceoff.  

I'm drawing a blank on teams, but I've seen PP1 stay on ice until scoring, and line changes are only done when power play is ending with no goal.  More likely to happen in the third trailing by a goal and when PP1 is much better than PP2.  I'm thinking Avalanches and Oilers where they have fuck you level skill on PP1 and there's a drop-off to PP2.

For the Rangers, the long-term solution is to get a coherent PP2.  In the short term in third periods when we're down I'd rather keep PP1 on the ice and risk them getting tired and giving a short-handed goal.  A tired PP1 is more likely to score than PP2, IMO.

I think there's something to be said for a change of pace PP2, when you see PP1 failing spectacularly against Carolina, you need an alternative approach. 

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think there's something to be said for a change of pace PP2, when you see PP1 failing spectacularly against Carolina, you need an alternative approach. 

OK, but we’re back to PP2 being shitty and whether to fix with other personnel or with better on-ice decisions by current personnel.  If status quo then coaches don’t think it’s an issue or they are working on it in practice.

• Cheers 1

PP2 is going to be a problem when you have only 2 offensive centers and they are both on PP1.  Chytil being out has killed the 2nd unit.  They need a more offensive 3rd line center.  Bonino and Goodrow probably should be on the 4th line with Vesey.  

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

PP2 is going to be a problem when you have only 2 offensive centers and they are both on PP1.  Chytil being out has killed the 2nd unit.  They need a more offensive 3rd line center.  Bonino and Goodrow probably should be on the 4th line with Vesey.  

Relax

Theyll get an offensive center. Or they’ll get Chytil back.

Or both. 

On 1/5/2024 at 12:43 AM, siddious said:

Should have been fired as soon as he finished saying that sentence. Like bro read the room at the very least. 

I wasn't on the fire Gerrard Gallant band-wagon, as they were winning, and felt the players deserved most of the blame. But you can't argue with the results. I don't mind being wrong, as I am a Rangers fan first. Gallant said some stupid things, but that was the one that really stands out. If we noticed it, his bosses noticed it as well.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1