• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Do Rangers Profile as a Cup Contender? 5v5 Might Say Otherwise

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Well it's common practice to observe something with your eyeballs, form a hypothesis, and then go and see if the data supports it.

If your arguments were driven by facts and data, you would be doing this too. 

nothing in your arguments is driven by facts, but you pretend like it does.  Its all eyeballs.

but whatever, im not here to fight with you again.  

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

We'll agree to disagree there. He creates and then passes, when a lot of time he should shoot. That's the biggest issue. The shot data and the eyeball test support that conclusion.

Yeah, we'll agree to disagree. Plus or minus 20 shot attempts across the course of a season isn't enough of a swing to convince me. For me, the eyeball test says he's playing like a 3C at 5v5, and the 5v5 data supports that.

• Keeps it 100 1

54 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah, we'll agree to disagree. Plus or minus 20 shot attempts across the course of a season isn't enough of a swing to convince me. For me, the eyeball test says he's playing like a 3C at 5v5, and the 5v5 data supports that.

That's certainly an interesting narrative that you folks are trying to push, but it's not one I subscribe to.

57 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

nothing in your arguments is driven by facts, but you pretend like it does.  Its all eyeballs.

but whatever, im not here to fight with you again.  

Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF by ABC Network

With Zibanejad the problem is obvious.  He doesn't play in front of the net, he passes up anything but an empty net for somebody else's chance - generally worse, and he has maybe two spots on the ice he is comfortable shooting from and the league knows this.

This season he is setting up often 15' to the right of the goalie even with the goal line.  I think the positioning there is poor for scoring goals.

He should be crashing the net more often however this is not his play style.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

A narrative backed by data will always be better than the alternative, even if I don’t like what it says

It's certainly backed by cherry picked data used to fuel the narrative. But we can just leave it at that because we'll never agree. 

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

With Zibanejad the problem is obvious.  He doesn't play in front of the net, he passes up anything but an empty net for somebody else's chance - generally worse, and he has maybe two spots on the ice he is comfortable shooting from and the league knows this.

He should be crashing the net more often however this is not his play style.

This is correct.

This season he is setting up often 15' to the right of the goalie even with the goal line.  I think the positioning there is poor for scoring goals.

This is not.

He's not shooting enough from the middle, nor from his sweet spot closer to the faceoff dot in the  circle. But he's not shooting from the goal line at all.

2023-24

SHOTS

spacer.png

2022-23

SHOTS

spacer.png