• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Do Rangers Profile as a Cup Contender? 5v5 Might Say Otherwise

10 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Zib with one more 5v5 point than Vesey, with far more ice time, in nearly half a season.  Let's face it, this is a player in decline, and it's a problem that probably isn't going to work itself out.

In decline? No. Maybe just not a dominant 1st line center? A pretty good one, but maybe not in the top 10? 

We knew this already though. He's not going to carry this team for extended amounts of time. He's an outstanding 2 way player. Maybe just not a "franchise" center. 

I always kinda thought they should try to get a true #1 center and move him to RW or reap the benefits of him being a 2C. But, he's the guy right now. Who do you trust out on that ice more than Zibanejad? In any situation?  

He deserves credit and he deserves heat. He's our best all around player.  Yet, he always leaves you wanting a little more. 

Edited by The Dude
  • TroCheckmark 1

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

He's our best all around player.  Yet, he always leaves you wanting a little more. 

That's a good way to put it, although I was not wanting a little more when he scored 41 goals in 57 games and was at that time ranked as the 11th best player in the league by NHL Network.  What would that ranking be today?

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

In decline? No. Maybe just not a dominant 1st line center? A pretty good one, but maybe not in the top 10? 

We knew this already though. He's not going to carry this team for extended amounts of time. He's an outstanding 2 way player. Maybe just not a "franchise" center. 

I always kinda thought they should try to get a true #1 center and move him to RW or reap the benefits of him being a 2C. But, he's the guy right now. Who do you trust out on that ice more than Zibanejad? In any situation?  

He deserves credit and he deserves heat. He's our best all around player.  Yet, he always leaves you wanting a little more. 

It’s possible that’s true, but it might also explain why the Rangers stink at 5v5 and are wholly inconsistent.

17 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It’s possible that’s true, but it might also explain why the Rangers stink at 5v5 and are wholly inconsistent.

Trocheck is probably the Rangers best all-around player right now.  I'm not sure Zibanejad is 2nd either.  It's true that defense is a big part of the picture when you're considering all-around value, as well as the ability to PK.  However Panarin has twice as many even strength points as Zibanejad and I think that dwarfs the defensive difference at this point.

At some point I'm going to do the full analysis of Zibanejad over the last 5 or 6 seasons and I think what I'm going to find is that he actually peaked in the weird Covid shortened season in '19-'20 and that he's been on a slow decline offensively since then with his defensive prowess increasing each season but his even strength scoring on the decline.

I want to take a real look at how he has done vs the best teams and the rest, because I only have one seasons analysis on that at this point.  I also want to look at what he has done against the teams with an obvious big threat opposite him vs the rest.

On 1/3/2024 at 11:01 AM, BrooksBurner said:

This is the same team that it’s always been so far. There’s nothing different except for a better 3LD and slightly better depth on the wings. The best team in the league talk is premature and nonsense. First, there are 4-5 teams who are right with them in points, and second they are only a few wins better than the Islanders who are 3rd in the Metro. Barring significant buy in to actually playing a system, which is possible but missing right now, I’d give it 3-4 weeks before this team is teetering between Metro 3rd and a WC spot.

Only at 2 1/2 weeks, but we are getting dangerously close here.

On Jan 3rd:

1) Rangers 51 pts 36 gp

2) Carolina 46 pts 38 gp

3) Islanders 44 pts 37 gp

WC1) Flyers 43 pts 37 gp

WC2) Devils 42 pts 36 gp

Today:

1) Rangers 58 pts 45 gp

2) Flyers 56 pts 46 gp

3) Carolina 55 pts 44 gp

WC1) Toronto 52 pts 44 gp

WC2) Detroit 51 pts 45 gp

• 3 weeks later...

5v5 is still a massive problem. The Rangers are 22nd in 5v5 goals for. Here's the breakdown:

Panarin 20

Kreider 10

Lafreniere 9

Vesey 7

Cuylle 7

Wheeler 6

Miller 6

Trocheck 5

Fox 5

Zibanejad 5

Kakko 4

Our top 2 centers are tied with Fox who has 10 less games played. We don't have a good 1C, pure and simple.

Henrique isn't solving shit. This team already has two good choices for 3C. Zibanejad or Trocheck. They need a top 6 C who can contribute. Pay the price for one. Period. The end.

• Keeps it 100 1

The other thing is that Zibanejad has lost half a step.  It's not obvious until you get into a game like last night where the other team has speed up and down the lineup.  That's when you see Zibanejad playing at a normal speed as opposed to the extra step he used to have.

Zib still has speed.  we've seen it this year on odd man rushes.  He's playing too carefully, like he's cautious not to get injured or something.  And passing up on shots!! He had multicple chances 5on5 to shoot but again tried to pass.  Lavi needs to smacking him up

8 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Zib still has speed.  we've seen it this year on odd man rushes.  He's playing too carefully, like he's cautious not to get injured or something.  And passing up on shots!! He had multicple chances 5on5 to shoot but again tried to pass.  Lavi needs to smacking him up

This is legitimately the only problem. Everything else people bring here is mostly conjecture or fabrication.

His shot attempts are half what they were last year. That's the problem.

20 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Zibanejad's career average in shot attempts per 82 games is 380. He's pacing 395 this year. Last year was a career high at 440. The year before was 383.

I don't think shot volume is the problem.

well, his career average sucks

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Zibanejad's career average in shot attempts per 82 games is 380. He's pacing 395 this year. Last year was a career high at 440. The year before was 383.

I don't think shot volume is the problem.

Why are we using career average? Does it matter what he did in Ottawa as a rookie?

As a Ranger he is averaging 415 per 82. As stated, he's down to 395 but also his shots through percentage is down 7%. It's shot volume, and shot selection. He's passing up good shots for bad ones.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Why are we using career average? Does it matter what he did in Ottawa as a rookie?

As a Ranger he is averaging 415 per 82. As stated, he's down to 395 but also his shots through percentage is down 7%. It's shot volume, and shot selection. He's passing up good shots for bad ones.

20 shot attempts less is 1 less shot attempt every 4 games. I still don’t think that’s the reason.

Shot selection could be a factor, but probably points to him not being able to create his own shots. 1Cs can create their own.

Edited by BrooksBurner

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

20 shot attempts less is 1 less shot attempt every 4 games. I still don’t think that’s the reason.

Shot selection could be a factor, but probably points to him not being able to create his own shots. 1Cs can create their own.

We'll agree to disagree there. He creates and then passes, when a lot of time he should shoot. That's the biggest issue. The shot data and the eyeball test support that conclusion.

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

We'll agree to disagree there. He creates and then passes, when a lot of time he should shoot. That's the biggest issue. The shot data and the eyeball test support that conclusion.

i love it when you pass the eyeball test as fact. It makes me horny and even Ozzy looks appealing. 

6 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

i love it when you pass the eyeball test as fact. It makes me horny and even Ozzy looks appealing. 

You definitely need to go back and work on the reading comprehension. You completely miss the words shot data.  

6 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Hey!!  ...the girls still throw bras at me!  LOL

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

you never mentioned the eyeball test?  Did you forget what you wrote?

Well it's common practice to observe something with your eyeballs, form a hypothesis, and then go and see if the data supports it.

If your arguments were driven by facts and data, you would be doing this too. 

You've never supported an argument with a single piece of data in the 20 years you've been posting on these boards.

You of all people have nothing to say about the eyeball test being passed off as fact. 

Edited by Pete