• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Ovechkin Done?

Cash or Czech

Bit of a clickbait title, but the stat line says a lot. 6 goals through 30 games, career low 5.2% shooting % on a team rebuilding and simply not tooled to surround him with talent. His shots/game is actually the highest it's been since 2015-16. I think after scoring 42 last year, we kind of expected Ovechkin to cruise to Gretzky's record. I'm not so sure about that now as age may finally be catching up to him.

I always sided with Penguins fans on the whole 'Crosby is better' thing, and I'll stick with that. 😝

But yeah, he's definitely slowed down. It's weird to see, but it was only a matter of time. How many more years left on his deal? Two? He can at least pass Gretzky in goals, which is incredible, and ride off into the sunset.

Is he done? No. But he most definitely took a major, major step back. He doesn’t move nearly as good. He’s very stationary. I get that he’s not gonna be the heat seeking missle he used to be. But even offensively, when he got the scent of an opportunity, he’d go balls out for it. Now? Not so much. He’s hardly any type of a threat off the rush whatsoever anymore. He’s very much a one trick pony in his office on the PP. And like others have said, he badly misses Backstrom feeding him.

Again, I caution that this is right now. Would I at all be surprised to see him go scorched Earth and score 40 goals in a 2 week stretch? Probably not. But, I don’t see it in the cards. I do think he’s going to eventually grab Gretzky’s record. He’s too close to abandon hope there. But it may take a bit longer than we all thought.

I don't think he has to do anything at all, or rather there's not much he can do on his own.

The team needs more weapons. The underlying stats show he's as dangerous as ever, but the power play is trash and other teams just load up defending him. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think he has to do anything at all, or rather there's not much he can do on his own.

The team needs more weapons. The underlying stats show he's as dangerous as ever, but the power play is trash and other teams just load up defending him. 

That's an interesting take and tbh, I haven't looked at the stats. So with a true #1C, you believe we see a much less degraded version of Ovi? If so, GET THIS MAN A CENTER!! I don't want to see Crosby ride off into the sunset sitting higher.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

probably a lot to that, but he's still getting off his shots.He's top 15 in shots on goal. He's just not getting to his normal areas, likely in part from slowing down and not driving as much to high danger areas. He did have 40+ goals last year with a very similar roster and Backstrom out for half the season.

Here is his shot distribution last year.

shot-heat-map.png

Here is this year so far

shot-heat-map.png

There likely is a few factors into his slow down and sure, some of those middle of the ice takeaways are due to adjustments and taking away his ice, but career wise 31% of his goals are from the center of the ice just above the crease between the dots as shown here

shot-heat-map.png?goals=1

This year? 8%. woof. He needs a bit of an adjustment to be less stationary and a bit trimmed and slimmed.

shot-heat-map.png?goals=1

• Applause 1

On the power play... 

About 30 percent of the winger’s unblocked attempts have missed the net, which is relatively low compared to years past. But one difference is just how much opponents are blocking his shots. Just under 32 percent of his attempts have been blocked this season, which is pretty close to last season. On average (going back to 2007-08, due to data limitations), penalty killers only blocked about 27 percent of his shots.

In years past, penalty killers couldn’t afford to overcommit to Ovechkin even though he was the team’s biggest threat on the power play. There was too much talent elsewhere on that top unit to stay aware of. So having fewer options on the power play now likely plays into why penalty killers are actively blocking Ovechkin’s shots even more.

At even strength... 

But according to Corey Sznadjer’s tracking, his primary centers Dylan Strome and even Evgeny Kuznetsov have been moving the puck less. Both players have seen downticks in their passing to set up their teammates’ shots and scoring chances, and there isn’t a playmaking winger who can skate across Ovechkin to make up for that on this roster. That may explain why his shot and scoring chance numbers are down relative to last year in his isolated minutes with both Strome and Kuznetsov.

https://theathletic.com/5144384/2023/12/18/alex-ovechkin-nhl-scoring-analysis?source=user-shared-article

I doubt losing weight helps with any of that. The guy has been playing at 6-3 235 for some time. You don't just lose it off of 40 goal year without outside factors. 

Edited by Pete