• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Ovechkin Done?

Cash or Czech

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

On the power play... 

At even strength... 

https://theathletic.com/5144384/2023/12/18/alex-ovechkin-nhl-scoring-analysis?source=user-shared-article

I doubt losing weight helps with any of that. The guy has been playing at 6-3 235 for some time. You don't just lose it off of 40 goal year without outside factors. 

Well, there isn't any one exact thing that is responsible for the end all be all of Ovechkin's decline. It's not like the NHL waited 19 years to figure out how to defend him. Of course losing certain guys hurts for various reasons but he's still getting tons shots, he's scored 50 in years where his pal Bsckstrom played half a season (recently), and he's still playing top minutes. Hes easier to focus on for sure but age waits for no man and at some point many athletes that are aging need drastic changes to maintain certain standards. Ovechkin is no different.

When you are half a second slower, there are huge consequences in the NHL. There isn't just one factor that commands this change. Personally, I don't think he's done as much as he needs some serious tweaks. He looks noticeably slower.  I think he will adjust though eventually. Every argument of saying teammates aren't moving the puck enough had the counter of Ovis feet and movement are slower to be ready for passes.  

29 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Well, there isn't any one exact thing that is responsible for the end all be all of Ovechkin's decline. It's not like the NHL waited 19 years to figure out how to defend him. Of course losing certain guys hurts for various reasons but he's still getting tons shots, he's scored 50 in years where his pal Bsckstrom played half a season (recently), and he's still playing top minutes. Hes easier to focus on for sure but age waits for no man and at some point many athletes that are aging need drastic changes to maintain certain standards. Ovechkin is no different.

When you are half a second slower, there are huge consequences in the NHL. There isn't just one factor that commands this change. Personally, I don't think he's done as much as he needs some serious tweaks. He looks noticeably slower.  I think he will adjust though eventually. Every argument of saying teammates aren't moving the puck enough had the counter of Ovis feet and movement are slower to be ready for passes.  

I didn't say anything about Backstrom so I don't know why you keep repeating that he scored goals last year without Backstrom. He's not the only reason, the overall quality of the team around him declining is the biggest factor.

Ovi could lose 20 lb and that's not going to change that the team stinks. He's still tied for the team lead in scoring with Dylan Strome both on pace for about 50 points seasons. 

This guy's been scoring the same goal for 5 years. The league didn't just catch on this season. They can just do a better job defending it because no one else can score. 

The whole "he doesn't get as many passes because he's not fast enough to receive them" is just a hard no. It's not that they are not passing to him, it's that they're passing less, period. Their passes are down to everybody, not just Ovi.

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I didn't say anything about Backstrom so I don't know why you keep repeating that he scored goals last year without Backstrom. He's not the only reason, the overall quality of the team around him declining is the biggest factor.

Ovi could lose 20 lb and that's not going to change that the team stinks. He's still tied for the team lead in scoring with Dylan Strome both on pace for about 50 points seasons. 

This guy's been scoring the same goal for 5 years. The league didn't just catch on this season. They can just do a better job defending it because no one else can score. 

The whole "he doesn't get as many passes because he's not fast enough to receive them" is just a hard no. It's not that they are not passing to him, it's that they're passing less, period. Their passes are down to everybody, not just Ovi.

Alright, you're entitled to your own opinion. I brought up Backstrom because he has been his center for 1105 games in the league. I never said you broguht him up. I was mentioning players he played with. There are an entire litany of NHLers that have hard drops based on age andconditioning assoiated with it. Washington isn't a good team really but we aren't talking about a bottom dweller. They have one less point than the Maple Leafs'. Stinks is a bit overdone. Playing above their heads? Sure. If we are going to bring up his 50 point pace, we can't ignore the team's 95 or so point pace too. This isn't a bottom league dweller. But we are spinning wheels here.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Pete said:

Not everything has to be about politics.

It doesn't, that's why Ovie didn't have to lead his instagram account with a photo of him sucking up to Putin.

9 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

It doesn't, that's why Ovie didn't have to lead his instagram account with a photo of him sucking up to Putin.

You forgot the "who gives a shit" part of the post.