• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Washington Capitals Expected to Relocate to Northern Virginia; Update: Will Remain in Capital One Arena Until 2050

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

Caps have a bad arena deal in a bad location.  Their fan base would no doubt prefer Alexandria.

It's the usual shakedown of a political entity, in this case the state of Virginia.

The Caps don't have a bad location. Where do you get this from? 

10 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The area where the Caps play is right in the middle of the city. Decent bars over there, from what I remember.

I forget where their old building was, but wasn’t the point of that move to get them more centrally located to the city? If so, I don’t understand the move.

It's only 25 years old and it's on the Red Line, right next to Chinatown. This move is a total joke and is a obvious power move by Leonsis and VA Governor Glenn Youngkin. 

This new proposed location, Potomac Yard, is near Alexandria, not in it. There's a new Metro stop there, but it's one of the least used Metro stops in the entire system. There are hardly any bars and restaurants, at least compared to the current location in downtown DC. It's just an obvious greed move. I feel bad for the fans because this is a definite downgrade. 

Oh, and good luck drawing fans to the new arena after Ovechkin retires. Idk if the Wizards are any good.

I used to live in the area, so that's why I feel so passionately lol

• Bullseye 1

On 12/12/2023 at 11:28 PM, RichieNextel305 said:

The area where the Caps play is right in the middle of the city. Decent bars over there, from what I remember.

I forget where their old building was, but wasn’t the point of that move to get them more centrally located to the city? If so, I don’t understand the move.

They were in Landover MD, a total shithole of an arena. 

On 12/15/2023 at 5:46 PM, jsrangers said:

They were in Landover MD, a total shithole of an arena. 

Yeah

They played in MD for years. 

Though I’ve never been to the arena they play in now, I’ve heard it’s nice. It’s not that old either. I know it opened the year they went to SC Finals vs Detroit and lost.

49 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah

They played in MD for years. 

Though I’ve never been to the arena they play in now, I’ve heard it’s nice. It’s not that old either. I know it opened the year they went to SC Finals vs Detroit and lost.

I was there for the John Tortorella meltdown in the playoffs.  😧

4 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Yep, Game 5...Rangers with 3 games to 1 lead and blew it.

Washington was sleep walking through the first 3-4 games of that series.

Losing was an unavoidable eventuality for them. 
Washington was way better than them that year.

They really had no business being in that series.

6 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Completely correct, and it was obvious when we were up 3-1.

On 12/17/2023 at 12:43 PM, RangersIn7 said:

The only reason we were in that series was because of Lundqvist. He shut them out in Game 2. And in Game 4 he played maybe the best game of his career, which is saying something. Him and Ovechkin were freaks that night. Ovy eventually beat him on 1 that night but we got 2 by Varlamov and took that game. But yeah, aside from that Henrik gem and his shutout in Game 2, it was a mismatch. The 1st Game was up and down because Jose Theodore got the start and he was pitiful. Caps called up Varlamov right after that and he played the rest of the series.

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The only reason we were in that series was because of Lundqvist. He shut them out in Game 2. And in Game 4 he played maybe the best game of his career, which is saying something. Him and Ovechkin were freaks that night. Ovy eventually beat him on 1 that night but we got 2 by Varlamov and took that game. But yeah, aside from that Henrik gem and his shutout in Game 2, it was a mismatch. The 1st Game was up and down because Jose Theodore got the start and he was pitiful. Caps called up Varlamov right after that and he played the rest of the series.

Yes.

Game 4 of that series is one of the best games I ever saw Hank play.

He was unreal in that game.

I believe Washington had something like 40+ shots and the Rangers had maybe half of that.

He was amazing 

41 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yes.

Game 4 of that series is one of the best games I ever saw Hank play.

He was unreal in that game.

I believe Washington had something like 40+ shots and the Rangers had maybe half of that.

He was amazing 

That was also the game Ovechkin rang the loudest post I have ever heard in my entire hockey watching life.

• 3 months later...
  • RichieNextel305 changed the title to Washington Capitals Expected to Relocate to Northern Virginia; Update: Will Remain in Capital One Arena Until 2050