• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A Way-too-early Trade List: 10 Forwards Who Could Help the New York Rangers

Phil

Jordan Eberle, RW, Seattle Kraken

Cap hit: $5.5 million

Seattle’s third season appears headed for the lottery so the Kraken could be open for business soon. Eberle is 33 and the Rangers have the market cornered on 30-somethings but he is still a fast, smart, productive player and one who excels in the postseason, as he showed with the New York Islanders and last season with Seattle. If Drury has to give up a first-rounder to make a serious addition (and possibly get a seller to retain salary), perhaps the Rangers would be interested in an Eberle-Alexander Wennberg package to add a solid No. 3 center to the deal.

Anthony Duclair, RW/LW, San Jose Sharks

Cap hit: $3 million

Duclair is just 28 and in his seventh organization after the Rangers shipped him out way too early in his career a decade ago. He showed his speed and hands with a couple of points at the Garden over the weekend and, while his metrics are as awful as everyone else’s on the Sharks, he showed last spring that he can play a postseason-style game with the Cup runners-up in Florida. Certainly wouldn’t cost much either.

Vladimir Tarasenko, RW, Ottawa Senators

Cap hit: $5 million

Drury does like to trade for guys more than once, doesn’t he? Tarasenko badly wanted to stay in New York after a pretty solid run following his trade from the St. Louis Blues last February but the Rangers didn’t have the cap space. Tarasenko has a full no-trade clause in Ottawa but would seemingly waive to come back and the Rangers could use his skill on the top line.

Sean Monahan, C, Montreal Canadiens

Cap hit: $1.985 million

The 29-year-old is healthy at last and playing well for a Canadiens team that won’t be going anywhere this season, it seems. Monahan will be in high demand heading toward the deadline and you do have to wonder — would former Rangers GM Jeff Gorton and all the staff that the Garden has dismissed over the last two years be so eager to deal with Drury?

https://theathletic.com/5116728/2023/12/06/new-york-rangers-trade-list/

--

Also listed: Jack Roslovic (C/RW, $4 million), Adam Henrique (C, $5.825 million), Anthony Beauvillier (RW/LW, $4.15 million), Kiefer Sherwood (RW, $775K), Frank Vatrano (RW, $3.65M), Travis Konecny (RW, $5.5M)

Going back to the name I always throw out there every year for these talks. 

Max Domi. Plays center and RW. Isn't a cream puff. 3 mill 1 year contract. Isn't scoring goals but has 1 goal and 11 assists in 22 games.  Toronto is so middle of the pack and looks like less of a threat this year, I'd think they may sell some pieces. I can't see the price tag being more than a 2nd round pick and maybe Robertson? 

53 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Pinto didn't sign a deal before the Dec 1 deadline so he's ineligible for play this season anyway.

He can.

As a 10.2(c) RFA, Pinto has very limited rights in free agency but does not need to be under contract by Dec. 1 in order to be eligible to play during the 2023-24 season, as Group 2 RFAs do.

42 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Why would we acquire anybody who is not firing at 5v5 at this point?

It's not like the team isn't skating hard most of the time and into the checking game.

We need goal scorers.

Functionality. Versatility.  Grit. Attitude.  Versatility.  Versatility,  Versatility.  

The Rangers need RW and center depth. They need motor. They need reliable.  They need a player that can actually slide up and down the lineup. They need a guy that ups his game in the playoffs .

I don't really think they necessarily need goal scorers. They need pieces that fit. They need interchangeable parts.  With question marks in Chytil,  Kakko and if Wheeler can be depended on, I don't think 1 goal scorer is THE need. 

With that said.  I'd love Tarasenko.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Functionality. Versatility.  Grit. Attitude.  Versatility.  Versatility,  Versatility.  

The Rangers need RW and center depth. They need motor. They need reliable.  They need a player that can actually slide up and down the lineup. They need a guy that ups his game in the playoffs .

I don't really think they necessarily need goal scorers. They need pieces that fit. They need interchangeable parts.  With question marks in Chytil,  Kakko and if Wheeler can be depended on, I don't think 1 goal scorer is THE need. 

I think they’re looking at a true top-6 RW and a mid-to-bottom-6 C. And that’s what they should be looking at. 

How they actually pull that off though… that’s what I’m having a hard time seeing.

39 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The Rangers are desperate for a Center with scoring potential at 5v5 right now.  Chytil's absence has left a glaring hole in the roster.

Bonino is centering line 3 because he wins face-offs and is very responsible defensively.  That doesn't make him a line 3 pivot, just the only real answer the Rangers have right now.

28 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers are desperate for a Center with scoring potential at 5v5 right now.  Chytil's absence has left a glaring hole in the roster.

Bonino is centering line 3 because he wins face-offs and is very responsible defensively.  That doesn't make him a line 3 pivot, just the only real answer the Rangers have right now.

Thats why I suggest 1 stop shopping and getting a guy that can play center if and when Chytil gets hurt again.  Or he can play wing. Domi is pretty well rounded. He's a better fit than Bonino at 3C. And he's a better fit on RW than Brodzinski or Wheeler.  Really just need someone capable of contributing some offense. 

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

At 18-5-1 the Rangers aren’t desperate for anything 

• Bullseye 1

18 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If you're putting your chips in the middle to make a run, I don't know how you can trust Chytil to stay healthy. I think you have to get a center, and you either move Chytil to wing or trade him for one.

I think you’re probably getting a C too.

I don’t think they’re trading Chytil though.

Im not, nor have I been adverse to moving Chytil to W.

Personally, I thought he worked with Ck and Zib as their RW in small samples when we saw it last year.

I wouldn’t mind it again.

He likes to shoot and as a LH shot at RW, he’d be able to do so more, especially with a RH C like Zib. 

Im ok with that. 

Gotta get a 3C to do it though. 

Edited by RangersIn7

Chytil’s concussion issues are a concern.

No doubt.

But in those 10 games, he did look great.

No goals.

But 6 assists.

And the way he was going, with Bread and Laf, the goals were coming and the points would be there.

Kid has a great skill set and is just coming into his own. Just gotta keep him healthy.

Can he do the Dark Helmet thing like Mark Kelso used to do???

Edited by RangersIn7

I’m on the record saying I hope they don’t make any deadline acquisitions.  But to participate, I am not terribly impressed by the list to help fix glaring weaknesses.  If I am nitpicking I see two needs for playoff success:

1. a nasty net front presence that will produce dirty goals (and no we can’t afford a Tkachuk)

2. a sniper with a shoot first mentality (we have a lot of distributors).

It’s a lot easier to play pretty tic-tac-toe in the regular season than the playoffs when defenses tighten, intensity and physical play ratchet up, and simple basic hockey plays help avoid mistakes.  

Just now, fletch said:

I’m on the record saying I hope they don’t make any deadline acquisitions.  But to participate, I am not terribly impressed by the list to help fix glaring weaknesses.  If I am nitpicking I see two needs for playoff success:

1. a nasty net front presence that will produce dirty goals (and no we can’t afford a Tkachuk)

2. a sniper with a shoot first mentality (we have a lot of distributors).

It’s a lot easier to play pretty tic-tac-toe in the regular season than the playoffs when defenses tighten, intensity and physical play ratchet up, and simple basic hockey plays help avoid mistakes.  

They’re going to add a couple of pieces at or approaching the deadline.

I hate to call anything a forgone conclusion, but that is almost certainly one. 

How and who and when are the only questions. 

21 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

They’re going to add a couple of pieces at or approaching the deadline.

I hate to call anything a forgone conclusion, but that is almost certainly one. 

How and who and when are the only questions. 

Why a foregone conclusion?:

1. Because it's the Rangers way to always add a player or two at the deadline.

2. There is a move or two that significantly improves our chances at a deep playoff run.

I'd rather stay pat than go for option 1. 

I'd rather focus on developing our young talent and building cohesive lines and team chemistry over a full regular season than option 2.  But there at least is an argument in favor of option 2 if you believe we are a piece or two short of a deep playoff run, and that bringing in an expiring contract or a vet is going to make the difference.  I still argue against option 2, but can at least appreciate the logic.

11 minutes ago, fletch said:

Why a foregone conclusion?:

1. Because it's the Rangers way to always add a player or two at the deadline.

2. There is a move or two that significantly improves our chances at a deep playoff run.

I'd rather stay pat than go for option 1. 

I'd rather focus on developing our young talent and building cohesive lines and team chemistry over a full regular season than option 2.  But there at least is an argument in favor of option 2 if you believe we are a piece or two short of a deep playoff run, and that bringing in an expiring contract or a vet is going to make the difference.  I still argue against option 2, but can at least appreciate the logic.

No

As of right now, it’s forgone because they have displayed a need at a couple of spots, and, while it’s neither hurting them nor so glaring that it’s detrimental, it is clear.

Ideally, you get a W for the top-6, and a C for the bottom-6.

But that’s still a ways off.