• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Peter Laviolette Keeps an Incredible Streak Going With the Rangers: 'He's Like a Great Chef'

Phil

“He’s like a great chef,” said Justin Williams, who won the Stanley Cup with Laviolette in 2005-06, his first full season coaching the Hurricanes. “You have a really good recipe and through the years you tweak it a little — you learn about what to take out, what to put in. He’s got the touch.”

Jacob Trouba has already learned in just a few months what all these former players and co-workers know: Laviolette spends a lot of time not just working on his team’s Xs and Os, but on how to build a capital-t Team.

“You’ve got to go play the games and play well, that’s the most important thing,” Trouba said. “But there’s a lot that goes into the bonding part and caring about each other and that’s what really builds a team. We’ve put an emphasis on that, he’s put an emphasis on that and that’s been a big difference for us this year.”

“He was so positive, which I loved,” said Adrian Aucoin, who was also acquired in a summer trade by GM Mike Milbury and ended up being Laviolette’s workhorse defenseman, averaging 28:54 of ice time a game. “You had a lot of coaches around that time who would try to s— on guys to get them going but Lavi, even with a guy like Yash, he was always looking for ways to motivate everyone.

“And from the first day of training camp, he didn’t care who you were, you were going to play and play his style. Call-ups, guys like Shawn Bates who hadn’t had much success elsewhere, Lavi knew how to get the most out of each guy and where they fit. The confidence we felt right from the start was enormous.”

“He had this way of making every day you came to the rink fun, or at least something to challenge you,” Scott Hartnell said. “Little games in practice where if you lost you’d be the ones bringing Gatorades to the other guys or doing laps. The system is just go, go, go all the time and that’s fun for forwards. You’re basically playing a different style than you have your whole life, and his speeches — you buy into what he’s selling and you’re going to run this town, things like that. It’s an energy that’s hard to describe.”

https://theathletic.com/5096562/2023/11/30/new-york-rangers-peter-laviolette-coach-record/

I hate Gallant way more than I hated AV, and I despised AV by the end.

Vigneault, to me, was a much better coach by comparison. He was just incredibly stubborn and by the end, it wore to bone-on-bone level irritating for fans and players alike.

Agreed about AV vs. Gallant.

I think of the Rangers teams Gallant had and can only imagine how much better they would have been if Lav was coaching, especially last year. Last year was one of the worst postseason eliminations in Rangers history. A huge missed window season, especially after Boston was out in the first round.

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Agreed about AV vs. Gallant.

I think of the Rangers teams Gallant had and can only imagine how much better they would have been if Lav was coaching, especially last year. Last year was one of the worst postseason eliminations in Rangers history. A huge missed window season, especially after Boston was out in the first round.

We don't have a track record on Laviolette in the playoffs with this team, so it's pretty difficult to say. They made an ECF with Gallant the year prior. It's pretty damn hard to make it that far, and harder to make it further. Laviolette has made it that far only 3 times in 25 years coaching.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • VINNY! 1

53 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

We don't have a track record on Laviolette in the playoffs with this team, so it's pretty difficult to say. They made an ECF with Gallant the year prior. It's pretty damn hard to make it that far, and harder to make it further. Laviolette has made it that far only 3 times in 25 years coaching.

Mainly because of Igor, but that's fair. He definitely got badly outcoached in the Tampa Bay series, but I also think fatigue may have been a factor too. But I mean, preparation-wise I think they will be better equipped. Last year was just a total flame out.

The Rangers are definitely playing loose at this point and that's a good sign.  They're skating hard and playing great positional defense while having fun out there.

It's really noticeable when they are off this season and that used to be period a game thing under GG.

Edited by Br4d

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

The announcers mentioned it last night, just how well prepared Laviolette teams are and that's been so true. Remember during the Quinn years and even Gallant to an extent, they'd almost always give up an early goal or take a penalty?

or late goals, or score then let one right back in....always hanging their heads.  I love how they are coached now!

• Keeps it 100 1

37 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

AV, Gallant all had success their first year here and then fizzled out.  No one was complaining about Gallant his first year and then everyone hated him the following year.  We'll see how far Lavi will take us.  

I complained about Gallant his whole first year here because the team was bleeding scoring chances against and this guy was using the same lines that Quinn was. There was actually a thread going around asking what's different, and I kept saying nothing's different except for the power play and Igor.

That guy did absolutely nothing here, he's the reason why they got eliminated in both postseasons.

GG, hi, you're the problem GG. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

I complained about Gallant his whole first year here because the team was bleeding scoring chances against and this guy was using the same lines that Quinn was. There was actually a thread going around asking what's different, and I kept saying nothing's different except for the power play and Igor.

That guy did absolutely nothing here, he's the reason why they got eliminated in both postseasons.

You did, dude....I remember that shit like it was yesterday.

I was like "why the fuck is Pete all over this guy?"  Gallant was winning, but there were lots of cracks in the armor I didn't see....or didn't wanna see.

He was let go after 2 seasons everywhere he coached, and this was no different!

Credit where it's due, homie!!  You called it!

I still don't agree on Trouba though  LOL  😉

Edited by Ozzy
  • LMFAO 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

you complain a lot. 

But GG did take the team to ECF.  Same team that was embarrassed by the 'canes the year before and then shit the bed the year after vs the Devils.  just saying. 

we all wanted GG gone but i'm not going to start blowing Lavi yet, not until i see results in the playoffs.  Right now i'm just enjoying the ride.

• VINNY! 1

13 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

you complain a lot. 

But GG did take the team to ECF.  Same team that was embarrassed by the 'canes the year before and then shit the bed the year after vs the Devils.  just saying. 

we all wanted GG gone but i'm not going to start blowing Lavi yet, not until i see results in the playoffs.  Right now i'm just enjoying the ride.

I'd warm up Laviolette's car right now if he was doubling for Micharl Corleone!!

I haven't seen this type of Rangers TEAM since the early 70's days of Gilbert, Hatfield, and Rattelle, with Emile the Cat behind the bench!

• Believe 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

#coachingmatters

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Gladly admitting to underestimating the difference Lavy would make. Thrilled to see Laf may have a game. So bring on the crow for Lavy and start warming up the plate for Yukon too, I'm ready and happy to dig in.  Now just don't fuck this up Chubby even if Panarin goes quiet for an extended period of time. RIP Kakko.

• LOL 1

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Very fair. Deep playoff runs are hard. 

He does have an excellent resume though.

Cup Champion.

Two more trips to the SCF.

With 3 different teams to boot, which is hard to do. 
He’s won 4 division titles with 3 different teams. 
Earned 60% of his regular season points. 

He’s been a very good coach for a long time.